Plan To Disclose Names Of 'terrorist' List Could Jeopardise Peace Talks, Thai Experts Warn

webfact

Plan to disclose names of 'terrorist' list could jeopardise peace talks, experts warn
Phaisarn Saokleaw,
Kornchanok Raksaseri
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- National-security experts have voiced concerns over a Justice Ministry plan to publish the names of "terrorists" in the South under an anti-money-laundering law, saying it could hurt the ongoing peace dialogue between authorities and insurgents' representatives.

"The Anti-Money Laundering Office [AMLO] has to be careful and make sure that the measure is in line with the government's policy on peace-building. If it names some people in relation to supporting terrorism, political problems might follow," Srisompob Jitpiromsri, director of Prince of Songkla University's Deep South Watch, said yesterday.

"Moreover, if they are just suspects and their names are published [independently of] an investigation or any legal action, that would violate their rights, as it would be defamatory," Srisompob said.

Srisompob said AMLO might only look into the financial aspects, an approach that could lack the sensitivity needed when it comes to issues of national security. Therefore, it should work closely with security agencies, the Deep South Watch director said.

The blacklist, which would be endorsed by the Civil Court, contains the names of people in three groups: people of various nationalities named in a United Nations-approved list; Thai people blacklisted by authorities in foreign countries; and about 4,000 Thais found to have provided financial or logistical support to the insurgency in the deep South.

The list containing foreigners' names would be made public on April 22 after endorsement by the Justice Ministry. The element containing the names of Thais would be received by the Office of the Attorney-General by April 19 for finalisation. This list would be endorsed by the Civil Court at a later date before being made public.

Chulalongkorn University security expert Panitan Wattanayagorn said the agency must clearly prove that the people named in the lists were actually involved in terrorism. "Incidents in the three southernmost provinces include both normal crimes and politically motivated crimes," he said.

Such a court-ordered blacklist would need to be verified thoroughly and substantiated by scientifically based evidence, because the release of the names could violate human rights, he added.

Justice Minister Pracha Promnok said on Wednesday that AMLO was preparing to ask the Civil Court to consider publishing the name list of "terrorists" in the South of Thailand.

AMLO secretary-general Seehanat Prayoonrat said a team from the Paris-based Financial Action Task Force on Money Laundering (FATF) would visit Thailand next month to see how the blacklist and other laws related to suppression of terrorism were being implemented and enforced. The FATF has put Thailand on a watch-list as a haven for financial support for terrorists.

Meanwhile, a key Justice Ministry policy to transfer inmates convicted of security-related charges to prisons in the deep South will be implemented soon, deputy permanent secretary Charnchao Chainukij said yesterday. The goal of the policy is to win over the convicts' relatives and local Muslims sympathetic to the insurgency in order to help facilitate the peace dialogue.

A number of changes in Corrections Department regulations have been made to accommodate the transfers, as those convicted of security-related charges or serving lengthy prison terms have until now been imprisoned at high-security facilities in Bangkok and other sites outside the South.

Asked about the proposed revocation of arrest warrants issued for insurgents and their supporters, Charnchao said it was too early to discuss such a sensitive issue, which he said would affect the entire justice system. He said a thorough case-filtering process would be needed to decide who should and should not benefit from revocation of arrest warrants on a case-by-case basis.

In a related development, security officials found home-made explosives, plastic water pipes and other devices after a series of raids in Narathiwat. They said the materials seized were likely prepared for use in improvised bombs to be detonated during the Songkran holiday break. The raids originally targeted Masukaruenor Yakumor, a suspect in a recent bombing that killed a highly decorated police officer.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-13

Releasing terrorist's names would slander their reputation? Amazing Thailand.

How does one sue law enforcement for libel?

"I am a god-fearing terrorist. I make an honest living by indiscriminately killing men, women and children, Muslims and Buddhists alike, irrespective of their social standing and affiliations. I am not a crooked money launderer!"

• Like 2

Releasing terrorist's names would slander their reputation? Amazing Thailand.

How does one sue law enforcement for libel?

"I am a god-fearing terrorist. I make an honest living by indiscriminately killing men, women and children, Muslims and Buddhists alike, irrespective of their social standing and affiliations. I am not a crooked money launderer!"

Indeed, in which case the law is an ass.

• Like 1

Going short, it is fine to accuse a motorcycle driver that defies martial law and put him away for a few ears show him off on TV and call him a terrorist under the Abhisit illegal regime but it is not okay to disclose to the world the names of people who kill and maim children and women and people going to work. Names and addresses please..... And those from the experts complaining too.

Never any qualms concerning the release of the names and addresses of the judiciary by the allies of this current maladministration were there.

So why are there concerns about this current move, are some of the names involved in the current ''business conflicts'' that Chalerms comments about, are some of the names possibly linked to the current maladministration perhaps?

Indeed it may well prove embarrassing to find that old members of old parties (as already noted) may be linked to the P.T.P. and also the current ongoing business conflicts in the south.

The concerns expressed are legitimate and I find it puzzling that the people criticizing the restraint shown here are the first to whinge about the lack of privacy and due process in Thailand.

The list contains the names of SUSPECTS, not convicted offenders.

The printing of the names would be a de facto conviction.

No one has been found guilty at this time.

How would some of you like to be accused of being criminals and have your name published?

Considering how many of you moan and groan about the collateral damage that occurred in the war against the narco terror cartels previously, why the change of heart now, all of a sudden?

According to your crude logic law enforcement agencies are not allowed to publish photos and names of wanted suspects as they have not yet been found guilty by a court. Wow.

• Like 2

The concerns expressed are legitimate and I find it puzzling that the people criticizing the restraint shown here are the first to whinge about the lack of privacy and due process in Thailand.

How would some of you like to be accused of being criminals and have your name published?

Considering how many of you moan and groan about the collateral damage that occurred in the war against the narco terror cartels previously, why the change of heart now, all of a sudden?

Well it begs a very obvious question, what is the public interest in publicly printing this list anyway. If that is what it takes to get off the list, then it is bullshit anyway.

If you are fighting terrorism, what benefit is gained from publishing this list? Zilch.....

Fighting terrorism and fighting money laundering are two different problems.

Problem is if the issue is money laundering every gold shop and second hand car dealer is implicated.

Great, Thailand had 1mn people on the blacklist.

Edited by Thai at Heart

The illegal activities in the south, especially the smuggling, have long financed many a Thai politician. And the insurgency down south has long provided financial benefits to many entrenched interests (read Useful Enemies by David Keen to grasp the concepts here). So any list of names will include associates of influential people who much prefer not to have their names linked with "terrorists" as it might be bad for their business and political interests elsewhere.

• Like 1

Its Saturday night, home after Songkran celebrations and having a few Changs so please forgive me if I am missing something. The authorities have a list of people who they suspect to be terrorists (or people who support or aid them in some way)? Why don't they go and arrest them. I realise many will be in hiding but they could at least make a dent in the organisation and drop the confidence level of the others.

Edited by Mudcrab

Stop bleating about peace talks - what a crock - release the names immediately and let all see but if the list is so large and they know who, why have they not already been arrested, assets seized etc?

Thais are always "bleating" about something. Thais are bleaters. Especially when it comes to taking a realistic truthful position.

Are you really unable to discern the difference between being slandered and being murdered?

Stop bleating about peace talks - what a crock - release the names immediately and let all see but if the list is so large and they know who, why have they not already been arrested, assets seized etc?

Well I see two different things here.

1 there are no peace talks just face saving talks.sad.png Look at us we are trying to bring peace into the country.coffee1.gif

2 A list of all the known terrorists would make it much harder for them to hide and operate. Look at the last known terrorist apprehended it was through the common people knowing who he was and what he was and where to locate him.wai2.gif

• Like 1

Are you really unable to discern the difference between being slandered and being murdered?

He thinks he is still in a western country and is demanding their ways be the criteria used in Thailand.

I may not be liked for it but if two innocent people die and it saves the lives of a thousand innocent people I am all for it.

In fact I would offer up the lives of those who would rather have the thousand innocent die than just two innocent people die.

As it is going now there does not seem to be a great many guilty dieing but a heck of a lot of innocent ones of Muslim and Buddhism faith.