Amorn - What Is Happening?

briley

Amorn when it first opened was an excellent source of those little electrical and electronic bits. But no more. They seem more keen on selling plastic flowers and biscuits.

Is there an alternative store?

I only want a few spade connectors and a length of wire! Oh yes, and a small FM transmitter. All items that they used to sell.

I agree. Was in a couple of branches recently and the areas where there used to be electronic components like transistors, capacitors etc were bare. Does anyone know where you can get such components nowadays? Need wire also, of the type one can use in a project (bread) board.

Kitti Electronics

Amorn does occasionally do a reorganization. Believe it was 1 or two years ago a similar thing happened and they finally restocked.

Wow, I'd never have found that place myself. Looking forward to checking it out. Thanks so much.

A large percentage of our electronic needs at our lab are fulfilled via Kitti. If they don't have it they can order it. An alternative that I use regularly for more exotic parts are online shops Futurlec.com and th.element14.com

Kitti Electronics

Amorn does occasionally do a reorganization. Believe it was 1 or two years ago a similar thing happened and they finally restocked.

Wow, I'd never have found that place myself. Looking forward to checking it out. Thanks so much.

There is Kitti, The Ham Shop (at the Y junction behind Wat Prah Singh), as well as Poly Electronics on Chang Phuek soi 4? https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=18.801414,98.98363&spn=0.003336,0.005681&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=18.801423,98.983735&panoid=Nt2efbGuAVKKOvAoC3dnew&cbp=12,198.11,,0,5.95

There are also 2 or 3 electronics shops all within 50-70 meters of Kasem Store right off Chiang Moi.

Agree, once a year Amorn goes through a long re-stocking process that involves depletion of stock and then re-ordering from different suppliers.

Thanks for this info guys. Found myself one on Chiang Moi, close to the satelite man, after I insisted staff at Amorn told me where to get my electronic spare parts.

Funny, you search the streets for something you want, but just cannot see from the outside what the shops are selling (most). Looking too much might end you up in a foodstall or worse.

Kitti Electronics

It's the same issue here in Pattaya, for years already, and Sriracha is quickly going the same direction I noticed the other day.

Floorspace is now for 50% occupied with cookies and biscuits, and another 30 % with useless stuff.

Kitti Electronics

It's the same issue here in Pattaya, for years already, and Sriracha is quickly going the same direction I noticed the other day.

Floorspace is now for 50% occupied with cookies and biscuits, and another 30 % with useless stuff.

Amorn has slowly been adding more and more cookies and biscuits to their floorspace over the years, as well as junk like plastic plants for aquariums. I don't understand the mentality at all.

^^ Likely all to do with that filthy word beginning with 'm'... bit's 'n bobs like capacitors & resistors probably don't make em much. A shame because I always look forward to mooching around in there but it seems to be filling up with evermore Chinese tat as with everywhere.

Mail order from RS Components - that is for people who know what they want.

Real men go into the shop and have a look until they find the wigit they wanted.

Thanks for the information on Kitti, I'll be there now the water has stopped.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments, been to Poly Electronics on Chang Phuek soi 4? https://maps.google....,198.11,,0,5.95 - has everything from little bits to the electronics kits and owner will use English to supplement my Thai. Only drawback is you cannot prowl the shop as you can in Amorn. His prices are very similar to Amorn.

I found the shops near Kasem (in town) to have less range of stock and more intimidating if you do not really know what you want.

Amorn has restocked over the last few days, but not with the electronics etc.

Went into Amorn near where I live yesterday, needed batteries all sizes, last time went in they had all the same make green coloured made in China..

yesterday they had 2 makes only........ Panasonic made in Thailand, and Eveready made in Egypt.. No made in China of any size...

biscuits and Gold Blend coffee, they have sold for years........ Same as sold in Hat Yai Market, but more expensive, guess @ 50 baht more for coffee than at H.Y is still 160 baht cheaper than at the Supermarket.......... did not see any flowers or plastic stuff, .. would have thought that all the Amorn stores would have sold the same.buy in bulk for all shops??..... My store is in a Village 50 odd km north of BKK, 3 shop units made into 1, they opened about 6 years ago..

Coincidentally I was in Amorn last night (the small one at Big C Superhighway). They never had much there to begin with but last night all of the shelves were empty. No joke, each aisle could not have more than 25 items in total stock. I'm wondering if they are closing that one down?

^^ That one is especially crud and it doesn't help that the aisles are like 12" wide. They'll probably get more turnover if they morph it into one of those '19 baht' stores where nothing is 19 baht.

• 3 months later...

Did Kitti electronics move? The above link building location is torn down now. Was that the right location in the first place? at the Convention center?

Looking for small ultrasonic cleaner in the 35 to 40 khz design. Maybe a jewelry shop kind of spec.

Anyone seen these for sale?

Kitti is on Chang Phueak, right on the corner near Tannin Market. Not sure about a convention center around there but I don't think so. I'm sure it is still there.

Did Kitti electronics move? The above link building location is torn down now. Was that the right location in the first place? at the Convention center?

Looking for small ultrasonic cleaner in the 35 to 40 khz design. Maybe a jewelry shop kind of spec.

Anyone seen these for sale?

Kitti is on Chang Phueak, right on the corner near Tannin Market. Not sure about a convention center around there but I don't think so. I'm sure it is still there.

Looks like Google Maps changed the marker since the last time I posted that maps link.

I spent ages trying to find 2 or 3 pin connectors like the type used on motorbikes for various electrical connections. After about 5 days I located a place in Chang Phueak Rd. Its on the righthand side as you head North (Towards Mae Rim). About the area of the Mecure Chiang Mai but on the main road. The billboards above the shop show Osram and Eve Lighting, however that can be misleading as to whats inside.

There are 3 shops which I believe are all jointly operated but the electronics inside were surprising. When I showed them what I was after I was whisked away to their shop next door, lights turned on and they had a whole wall of shelving full of various connectors!

Very impressive, only problem is they dont speak much English however GF helped next time I went there.

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=18.801414,98.98363&spn=0.003336,0.005681&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=18.801423,98.983735&panoid=Nt2efbGuAVKKOvAoC3dnew&cbp=12,198.11,,0,5.95