Songkran Death Toll Rises As People Head Back Home

webfact

Toll rises as people head back
The Nation

30204123-02_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Traffic deaths were still up from last year during the first five of the seven dangerous days of Songkran, while injuries and accidents were down by the hundreds, according to the Road Safety Centre.

Panadda Diskul, deputy permanent secretary of the Interior Ministry, said yesterday that the death toll from Thursday to Monday had reached 255, exceeding last year's 253. However, injuries were reduced by 312 to 2,439 from 2,751 and accidents by 291 to 2,290 from 2,581 last year.

Monday alone saw 37 fatalities and 419 injuries from 393 accidents.

No deaths in 10 provinces

Prachuap Khiri Khan and Kanchanaburi remained the most deadly provinces with 11 killed in each, while Chiang Mai was the most dangerous with 87 injured in 86 accidents.

Ten provinces remained fatality-free - Chon Buri, Chaiyaphum, Trat, Nonthaburi, Pattani, Phuket, Yala, Ranong, Angthong and Amnat Charoen.

Panadda said buses, trains and planes were crammed with people returning to Bangkok for the first day of work today.

He instructed governors to order agencies in their provinces to keep an eye on highways and roads leading to the capital.

Since drunk driving, speeding and reckless driving were the usual causes of accidents, the centre will direct police to enforce traffic laws strictly, particularly in provinces along the major routes to Bangkok.

"Police and staff at checkpoints on highways and roads are instructed to inspect drivers of all modes of public transport to ensure they are not drunk and can drive in a safe manner. A public vehicle travelling farther than 400 kilometres must have two drivers," he added.

Key highway congested

In Nakhon Ratchasima, Mittraphap Road, which connects the Northeast with Central region, was congested.

Some motorists were advised to avoid Mittraphap and detour to Ratchasima-Kabin Buri Road, where the traffic was not as heavy.

The main bus terminal in Nakhon Ratchasima had to lay on more buses to conduct 300-400 trips daily instead of 200 to meet the doubled demand.

As all public buses and trains to Bangkok were fully booked, many passengers in Uttaradit decided to buy tickets that allowed them to stand.

Trains from the southernmost provinces to Bangkok were also jammed with passengers.

All seats were reserved up to Sunday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-17

I have just heard more government BS on an IN Channel news report as the studio anchor announced that all agencies and the BIB have been instructed to " strictly enforce " traffic laws as motorists head back to Bkk, the same strict enforcement I suppose that applied over Songkran. There was also a reminder that buses operating on routes over 400 Kms should have 2 drivers which is a new one on me as I have travelled to Bkk from various parts of Isan on many occasions and have never seen drivers change.

What should happen and what actually happens here are two completely different matters.

• Like 1

So, the drunk drivers who didn't manage to kill or maim anyone in the past few days in the provinces, will have another opportunity to do so on their speedy drives back to Bangkok.

What they should do: drivers found drunk - compelled to sit by the side of the road for 5 hours, drinking water and coffee, until they sober up enuff to drive.

If any drivers were caught with an illegal rec.drug coursing through their blood, and caused an accident, the newspaper headlines would scream: DRUG RELATED CRIME! If it's just alcohol, it's biz as usual.

• Like 1

I have just heard more government BS on an IN Channel news report as the studio anchor announced that all agencies and the BIB have been instructed to " strictly enforce " traffic laws as motorists head back to Bkk, the same strict enforcement I suppose that applied over Songkran. There was also a reminder that buses operating on routes over 400 Kms should have 2 drivers which is a new one on me as I have travelled to Bkk from various parts of Isan on many occasions and have never seen drivers change.

What should happen and what actually happens here are two completely different matters.

You must be using the wrong bus company. I use NCA regularly and they always change drivers half-way to and from Bkk

• Like 1

So, the drunk drivers who didn't manage to kill or maim anyone in the past few days in the provinces, will have another opportunity to do so on their speedy drives back to Bangkok.

What they should do: drivers found drunk - compelled to sit by the side of the road for 5 hours, drinking water and coffee, until they sober up enuff to drive.

If any drivers were caught with an illegal rec.drug coursing through their blood, and caused an accident, the newspaper headlines would scream: DRUG RELATED CRIME! If it's just alcohol, it's biz as usual.

Drunk drivers should sober up in the monkey house, appear in court the next day and be dealt with by law. IF they actually hold a driving licence it should be suspended and if they drive they get jail time. Unfortunately it's so much easier to negotiate an " on the spot " fine and off they go
I don't think it will make much difference, as the Thai Police want to keep the entertainment/bars open until 4AM. You can top up as you return home.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/633259-thai-police-propose-to-extend-nightlife-closing-times-by-two-hours-to-4am/

You must be using the wrong bus company. I use NCA regularly and they always change drivers half-way to and from Bkk

As do Chan Tours

• Like 1

"injuries were reduced by 312"! What does that mean, does it mean the police actually did something to reduce accidents, or does it mean that a few more injured people died, thus making the injured statics sound better? I was on the road last night, and didnt see anything that the police were doing to reduce accidents. Both sholders were being used, and before the lights turned green, people were racing to gain an advantage over the other cars. If the police wanted to actually do something, they could have made their quota of tea money, for the entire year.

"injuries were reduced by 312"! What does that mean, does it mean the police actually did something to reduce accidents, or does it mean that a few more injured people died, thus making the injured statics sound better?

Given to this point there has been 3 more deaths and 291 fewer accidents ....

All this analysis - such a crock. No law, no order and continuing media PR BS press releases. And as already stated, now the 'entertainment venues' are going to get a whack at staying open until 0400 yet the present (unwritten) law is you can't buy booze between 1400 and 1700 (unless commercial quantities). <deleted> sort of system is this? Broom the lot and start again. Idiots.

• Like 2

The last time I took the overnight bus Udon Thani - Bkk the only stop was in Korat where the bus attendant ran into the company office to get time sheet signed and we were off. Definately no driver change and there wasn't a 2nd one on board

All this analysis - such a crock. No law, no order and continuing media PR BS press releases. And as already stated, now the 'entertainment venues' are going to get a whack at staying open until 0400 yet the present (unwritten) law is you can't buy booze between 1400 and 1700 (unless commercial quantities). <deleted> sort of system is this? Broom the lot and start again. Idiots.

Years back I was sitting in an open air bar in Nong Khai when the BIB arrived and told the owner's Thai wife that because there were schools in the area and schoolchildren used the soi no bar would be allowed to display any form of poster, bunting, even bar mats and towels that displayed the name of any alcoholic drink. I was sitting 2 feet from the soi and certainly wasn't having afternoon tea plus I don't suppose these same ids are exposed to alcohol at home. To be fair the BIB thought it was stupid too

I am willing to bet you that the majority of deaths are the result of drivers trying to pass very slow moving trucks and the other morons driving 20-30kph and the numerous goofy motorcycle contraptions the Thai's use to make a living. If you have ever traveled on the back roads where there IS a motorcycle lane you still see drivers of cars riding the center line and overloaded surgarcane trucks driving 30kph trying to pass the motorcycle contraptions.

Even when it isn't a holiday it is a lengthy process to drive in the country, I can only imagine how impatient I would get if I drove outside of BKK during Songkarn. I would want to kill the idiots who are too afraid to pass the trucks and the other idiots who are affraid to pass those idiots thus causing a 20 car backup while the first idiot waits until he can see a clear road ahead of him for 10k.

i think, the only reason we might eventually have less deaths this year, is that it exceptionally rained on many of those so keeping some crazy drivers inside ? right

or several of the drunks died last year and thus less to contribute to the drunk driving pool

Yeh! "mai pen lai" type fools still pack them selves into these dangerous busses ! sad.png