Thailand Tobacco Eyes Expansion Abroad

webfact

Thailand Tobacco eyes expansion abroad
By English News

13663500842046.jpg

BANGKOK, April 19 – Thailand Tobacco Monopoly (TTM) has been encouraged to expand its markets overseas including western countries, Deputy Finance Minister Tanusak Lek-uthai said today.

In his speech on the state agency’s 75th anniversary, he said the tobacco enterprise delivered Bt8.59 billion to Thailand’s state coffers last year – the largest contributor among state enterprises under the Finance Ministry’s supervision.

Its sales revenues last year were Bt70 billion, a slight increase from Bt69.8 billion in 2011.

TTM’s market share in Thailand is 33 per cent while the remainder are imported cigarettes at 12 per cent, smuggled cigarettes at 10 per cent and self-rolled cigarettes at 45 per cent.

Mr Tanusak said the Finance Ministry supports TTM’s penetration into overseas markets either as sole or joint manufacturer.

Krong Thip Premium, one of TTM’s top brands, has high potential for distribution in the West, he said, adding that the monopoly should also expand its dealer network in Southeast Asia to boost sales.

Managing Director Torsak Chotimongkol said TTM will open two new manufacturing plants with advanced technology with to emphasise tobacco growing development to boost planters’ earnings.

An expansion of locally-produced cigarettes will stem the growth of imported smoking products, he said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-19

Has the author ever had a Krong Thip cigarette? It's like smoking a chicken bone

Krong Thip is actually very flavourful,tasty cigarette!

I'd rather smoke a ladyboy

Never tried that. Is it a better flavor? smile.png

bigbamboo, on 19 Apr 2013 - 14:09, said:

Thailand's contribution to the new brotherhood of south east Asian nations..... poisoning their neighbours youth with crap tobacco products. Nice.

The West has been doing it for years - now it's payback time! (by the way I've never smoked a chicken bone or a lady boy will the posters share their experiences?) lol

Thailand's contribution to the new brotherhood of south east Asian nations..... poisoning their neighbours youth with crap tobacco products. Nice.

Yes, anti-smoking campaigns here but let other countries sort their problem out as long as money can be made selling to them

They think they can sell a cigarette called " krong thep" or Bangkok regionally?

Ummmm, the smooth aroma of Bangkok.....

Well, the makers of Marlboro do quite well (Marlboro is a township in New Jersey) as do the makers of Winston (which is in Oregon)

They were originally going to call them Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit Filter Supreme but had difficulty in getting it all on the box.

• Like 1

They think they can sell a cigarette called " krong thep" or Bangkok regionally?

Well, the makers of Marlboro do quite well (Marlboro is a township in New Jersey) as do the makers of Winston (which is in Oregon)

They were originally going to call them Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahinthara Yuthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Piman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit Filter Supreme but had difficulty in getting it all on the box.

Well i doubt it will do to well in Cambodia or Myanmar.

It's a crap cigarette and probably wouldn't pass any reasonable tar and nicotine tests, let alone pesticide residues.

Believe me, I know what's in it.

• Like 2

Has the author ever had a Krong Thip cigarette? It's like smoking a chicken bone

Krong Thip is actually very flavourful,tasty cigarette!

I'd rather smoke a ladyboy

If the lady boy still has his/her original equipment I'm sure he'd/she'd let you.

It's a crap cigarette and probably wouldn't pass any reasonable tar and nicotine tests, let alone pesticide residues.

If you smoke American grown and maufactured tobacco products then you should be very concerned with pesticide levels. Tobacco is regulated by the Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms Agency and not by FDA, and tobacco is not a food crop. Therefore pesticide levels are not well regulated and certain pesticides banned for foods are allowed for tobacco.

And then there are the unusually high radioactivity levels which enable your cigarettes to light you up.

Winston cigarettes are made in Oregon??? I seriously doubt it ... and I've been living in Oregon for 35 years. For sure they're made in Winston Salem, North Carolina and in Richmond, Virginia.

Edited by HerbalEd

I'm sure it is no worse than the local brands in Cambodia or Myanmar. Both are 18mg tar varieties and are substantially cheaper than in Thailand. Krong Thep are now 67Bt but the local Cambodian and Burmese are around 12Bt (25c US). These are not cigarettes for the feint hearted!

Because tobacco is not regulated by FDA or USDA, and tobacco is not a food crop, pesticide levels are not well regulated and certain pesticides banned for foods are allowed for tobacco. And then there are the radioactivity levels which are high in tobacco ... thus not only can you light up but they'll light you up also.
Every sale I ever made had to comply with USA or EU law for pesticide residues. Domestic on Thailand doesn't.

The big guys comply to avoid any accusation

Edited by Thai at Heart

I'm sure that RJR and BAT are quaking in their boots, as we speak, at the prospect of some real competition from the Thai Tobacco Monopoly ! laugh.png

Cue study-tours by the poo-yais, with five-star hotels & first-class flights, of prospective markets. tongue.png

krong thip smells real bad, even for a smoker. seriously, i have utter respect for anyone who truly enjoy the flavor of krong thip. it smells and smokes like its been rolled with a generous amount of a roadside hippie's pubic hair

Edited by barefoot1988
  • Like 2

They are just trying to keep up with Germany, one of the largest tobacco pushers in the world.

Rather disgusting that Thaialnd would encourage this industry. I expect such dubious behaviour from some europeans, but even in North America the governments are trying to contain the industry.

I thought worldwide smoking was going down each year so one would think any real expansion would not be easy.

Worldwide it's flat. Asia is growing but no one wants to smoke Thai cigarettes. They are 90% domestic tobacco.

Licit (legal) sales are going down in many countries as the tax rate rises. Governments like to claim this proves the incidence of smoking is declining, but in fact the sales of illicit (smuggled, tax unpaid and counterfeit tobacco products) is rising at an incredible rate worldwide.

Some example: in the UK, illicit tobacco products are estimated to have somewhere between 12% and 35% market share. In Malaysia, it is acknowledged by the government to be around 30% and rising. Hard to know exactly what percentage of smokes are illicit of course because none are reported. The assessments are made through the collection and study of empty packs from garbage bins at an assortment of venues such as football stadiums, housing estates, pubs, etc. So a "decrease" of one or two percentage points in smoking incidences reported in government statistics typically only refers to tax-paid products and ignores tax unpaid consumption. In fact, the actual incidence of smoking in many countries with reported "flat" or "reduced" smoking stats is probably higher than ever as cheap(er) untaxed, unregulated tobacco products flood the markets in ever-growing numbers.

In the meantime potentially safer products, such as e-cigarettes and snus, remain banned or heavily restricted in many countries. These products, if they were legally available, could help save lives and reduce health costs dramatically. And don't blame the tobacco companies for governments' refusal to countenance the introduction of these products. Its the pharmaceutical companies and the Bill Gates and Mayor Bloomberg financed anti-smoking lobby that has been successful in banning these products in many markets on the grounds that they "might lead to users taking up smoking cigarettes" ... as opposed to using them as safer alternatives to cigarettes or to help them quit - the Pharma companies want the exclusive rights to "nicotine replacement therapies"(NRT), such as inhalers, gums, patches, vaporisers, etc., hence their unwavering financial support for the anti-smoking lobby and ever-more compliancy from government health bodies. The fact that NRTs have been scientifically proven to have an uninspiring 30% success rate among smokers that use them to quit is quietly ignored and remains widely unreported by a compliant media. But well documented statistics indicate that 70% or so of NRT users return to smoking within 6 months of completing a NRT program. Google it and see for yourself.

I thought worldwide smoking was going down each year so one would think any real expansion would not be easy.

Worldwide it's flat. Asia is growing but no one wants to smoke Thai cigarettes. They are 90% domestic tobacco.
Licit (legal) sales are going down in many countries as the tax rate rises. Governments like to claim this proves the incidence of smoking is declining, but in fact the sales of illicit (smuggled, tax unpaid and counterfeit tobacco products) is rising at an incredible rate worldwide.

Some example: in the UK, illicit tobacco products are estimated to have somewhere between 12% and 35% market share. In Malaysia, it is acknowledged by the government to be around 30% and rising. Hard to know exactly what percentage of smokes are illicit of course because none are reported. The assessments are made through the collection and study of empty packs from garbage bins at an assortment of venues such as football stadiums, housing estates, pubs, etc. So a "decrease" of one or two percentage points in smoking incidences reported in government statistics typically only refers to tax-paid products and ignores tax unpaid consumption. In fact, the actual incidence of smoking in many countries with reported "flat" or "reduced" smoking stats is probably higher than ever as cheap(er) untaxed, unregulated tobacco products flood the markets in ever-growing numbers.

In the meantime potentially safer products, such as e-cigarettes and snus, remain banned or heavily restricted in many countries. These products, if they were legally available, could help save lives and reduce health costs dramatically. And don't blame the tobacco companies for governments' refusal to countenance the introduction of these products. Its the pharmaceutical companies and the Bill Gates and Mayor Bloomberg financed anti-smoking lobby that has been successful in banning these products in many markets on the grounds that they "might lead to users taking up smoking cigarettes" ... as opposed to using them as safer alternatives to cigarettes or to help them quit - the Pharma companies want the exclusive rights to "nicotine replacement therapies"(NRT), such as inhalers, gums, patches, vaporisers, etc., hence their unwavering financial support for the anti-smoking lobby and ever-more compliancy from government health bodies. The fact that NRTs have been scientifically proven to have an uninspiring 30% success rate among smokers that use them to quit is quietly ignored and remains widely unreported by a compliant media. But well documented statistics indicate that 70% or so of NRT users return to smoking within 6 months of completing a NRT program. Google it and see for yourself.

Total output, is total output. Consumption is up a little year on year globally.

The amount of illicitly produced cigarettes is very small against the licensed manufacturers.

The Thai Tobacco Monopoly is a government owned entity. The government speaks out of both sides of the mouth, on one side smoking is dangerous and big labels showing what will happen if you smoke. Than on the other side promoting the expansion of the company. coffee1.gifjerk.gif

".... he said the tobacco enterprise delivered Bt8.59 billion to Thailand’s state coffers last year"

What he omitted to say was how many people with smoking related diseases had been delivered to state COFFINS courtesy of the TTM.

A government in the drug business, who woulda guessed?whistling.gif

Edited by ratcatcher

When is the government of Thailand going to get out of the tobacco business??? In Buddhism, smoking is considered to be a grave 'sin' causing nearly irreparable harm to one's body and mind. By its addictive quality it causes people to give their Buddhist practices and they lose any positive benefit of Buddhist practice. Pretty hypocritical, I'd say.

When is the government of Thailand going to get out of the tobacco business??? In Buddhism, smoking is considered to be a grave 'sin' causing nearly irreparable harm to one's body and mind. By its addictive quality it causes people to give their Buddhist practices and they lose any positive benefit of Buddhist practice. Pretty hypocritical, I'd say.

They've tried to sell it many times.

The benefits are some of the best in the country. Not even the big tobacco guys want the legacy costs.

A well informed source who wants to remain anonymous has told me that with the current cigarette package covered for more than 80% with internationally acknowledged health warnings, TTM stood a very good chance to further promote this wonderful Thai export article.

(here be a sarcasm smiley)

• Like 1

A well informed source who wants to remain anonymous has told me that with the current cigarette package covered for more than 80% with internationally acknowledged health warnings, TTM stood a very good chance to further promote this wonderful Thai export article.

(here be a sarcasm smiley)

99.999999% of the world has no idea where krungthep is.

^30 Thai at Heart

As by law, international rules, etc., etc., the remaining 20% of the visible package will be used to clearly identify in latin based script the country of origin with possibly pictures of well known Thai cultural buildings and landmarks (like Wat Arun, the Pheah Vihear temple or similar)

krong thip smells real bad, even for a smoker. seriously, i have utter respect for anyone who truly enjoy the flavor of krong thip. it smells and smokes like its been rolled with a generous amount of a roadside hippie's pubic hair

Darn, there goes their secret recipe, revealed first on ThaiVisa ! laugh.png

And the TTM marketing-plan goes up in smoke !