What Is The Import Cost For A Watch ?

JohanBKK

I don't like rolex.

Probably because you can't even hold one for US$1600, much less quibble about the import duties. coffee1.gif

I want the 1600 USD watch because i like it, but i can afford a 30K watch if i want, my other choice was for a patek philippe nautilus pink gold at 38 000 USD. And it's not because i can afford that watch that i want to pay import fees, because those watches are more or less like free watches because they hold their value and you can resale it with almost no looses.
If you've got so much money, why do you give a hoot about import duty? Just walk into any genuine watch dealer in Bangkok and pay the full price. Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

Fly to HK airasia same day return buy the watch there.

Fly back. Way cheaper than importing Watches.

It depends on how it's posted (what carrier) and the price declared. I've imported at least 20 watches in the last two years and had to pay a small amount of duty (500 baht) on two. Admittedly these weren't expensive watches, no more than $200 each. Obviously if you were importing an expensive watch it would need to be fully insured and the full value declared.

I don't like rolex.

Probably because you can't even hold one for US$1600, much less quibble about the import duties. coffee1.gif

I want the 1600 USD watch because i like it, but i can afford a 30K watch if i want, my other choice was for a patek philippe nautilus pink gold at 38 000 USD. And it's not because i can afford that watch that i want to pay import fees, because those watches are more or less like free watches because they hold their value and you can resale it with almost no looses.
If you've got so much money, why do you give a hoot about import duty? Just walk into any genuine watch dealer in Bangkok and pay the full price.

That really is an unintelligent response.....

OP: If you are importing the watch via the post.. will it be insured to its full value ?

One of the issues I have when receiving post in Thailand is that half of it (if it looks like it may be of some value) is that it never arrives... (usually some random Christmas presents, socks etc or something daft from the UK).

no problems buying high end in paragon then flying out and claiming the 7%

The mark up on Watches in Thailand isn't anywhere near covered by the 7% tax back.

For example: A few years ago I bought a Bell & Ross from Central World - I received a 70,000 baht discount (cost price, friends with shop owner)... Watches in Bangkok usually have a huge markup - If buying high end it often pays to go to Singapore or Hong Kong and get it yourself.

My Wife wants a new watch. Its about 10,000 baht cheaper (25%) in Hong Kong.. as I'm going there in a few months anyway - I'll pick up a Birthday present then....

Richard_Smith 237

You care to clarify why my response is "unintelligent"? The OP is bragging about how he can afford $30,000 watches and yet he's bothered about paying import duty. That makes no sense to me. Why take any kind of risk if money is no object? Why not just buy from a local Authorised Dealer, and get the full International warranty.

Edited by giddyup

no problems buying high end in paragon then flying out and claiming the 7%

The mark up on Watches in Thailand isn't anywhere near covered by the 7% tax back.

For example: A few years ago I bought a Bell & Ross from Central World - I received a 70,000 baht discount (cost price, friends with shop owner)... Watches in Bangkok usually have a huge markup - If buying high end it often pays to go to Singapore or Hong Kong and get it yourself.

My Wife wants a new watch. Its about 10,000 baht cheaper (25%) in Hong Kong.. as I'm going there in a few months anyway - I'll pick up a Birthday present then....

i was probably generalising but in my particular case ( similar to yours) i did save on the cost of a swiss watch between Paragon and Perth.

I did the math a few months before buying. Id probably use it as an excuse to go to HK though if i was getting another one.

Wifey and Co use HK as their prefered desination for rediculously priced handbags.... sigh

One quick example (there are thousands like this found in 2 seconds):

An Oris Diver available here in Thailand - 69,000 baht = 2,400 dollars http://www.trocaderotime.com/eng/timepieces_detail/391/ORIS/Diving/Oris-Divers/Oris-Divers-Small-Second%2C-Date/Oris-Divers-Small-Second%2C-Date

Same Oris diver in the US 1,400 dollars

http://www.amazon.com/ORIS-DIVERS-DATE-MENS-WATCH/dp/B00B14M9OE/ref=pd_sbs_watch_5

Near a doubling in price. The list goes on, and on and on and on.....

Richard_Smith 237

You care to clarify why my response is "unintelligent"? The OP is bragging about how he can afford $30,000 watches and yet he's bothered about paying import duty. That makes no sense to me. Why take any kind of risk if money is no object? Why not just buy from a local Authorised Dealer, and get the full International warranty.

Because then the watch isn't virtually free, it doesn't matter to pay 30K for a watch if someone will pay the same amount to buy it back, to sell it fast i could afford 10% looses. If you pay 40% taxes on it, you will loose 40% of the value and another 10% for fast sell. It's common sense. I will maybe fly to HK for the PP nautilus in pink gold, not sure yet.

Richard_Smith 237

Because it can be placed in the same 'box' as the 'If you don't like it go home' responses...

Along with those replies the response of 'if you've got lots of money, why would you care about spending more' is another common response on ThaiVisa and brings nothing of any value to a thread other than a soft dig at the OP, who in this case is posing a reasonable question.

Anyone with any sense will chose not to pay more money than necessary when making a purchase... In the case of the Op he is looking for an option whereby he can avoid paying import tax. Something which many people prefer regardless of whether or not they have lots of money - thus the excess of money comment is pointless.

Thus: The fact that he can afford to buy an expensive watch is irrelevant. He is choosing a cheaper watch and has a preference not to pay import duty. The Op has a number of options such as getting a friend to bring it in, flying to Singapore and getting it himself etc... To simply accept the import duty because the Op can afford to is not 'up there' in the list of 'intelligent ideas'......

Perhaps there are too many smart <deleted> on TV.com and sometimes these smart arsed and uncreative replies wear a little thin... Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick and your response was meant as a genuine question.

Richard_Smith 237

Because it can be placed in the same 'box' as the 'If you don't like it go home' responses...

Along with those replies the response of 'if you've got lots of money, why would you care about spending more' is another common response on ThaiVisa and brings nothing of any value to a thread other than a soft dig at the OP, who in this case is posing a reasonable question.

Anyone with any sense will chose not to pay more money than necessary when making a purchase... In the case of the Op he is looking for an option whereby he can avoid paying import tax. Something which many people prefer regardless of whether or not they have lots of money - thus the excess of money comment is pointless.

Thus: The fact that he can afford to buy an expensive watch is irrelevant. He is choosing a cheaper watch and has a preference not to pay import duty. The Op has a number of options such as getting a friend to bring it in, flying to Singapore and getting it himself etc... To simply accept the import duty because the Op can afford to is not 'up there' in the list of 'intelligent ideas'......

Perhaps there are too many smart <deleted> on TV.com and sometimes these smart arsed and uncreative replies wear a little thin... Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick and your response was meant as a genuine question.

My response wasn't "smart arsed" as you put it, but a genuine question as to why he'd take a risk on an expensive watch. I believe in his original post he said he was going to buy from an online store, which involves the risk of A: getting a fake. and B: having it stolen or lost in the postage system. He then goes on to say that he is thinking of buying a rose gold PP at $30,000 because it is virtually a "free" watch because it can later be resold for the same price. I hope he never has to put that to the test. He goes from talking about purchasing a $1600 watch to boasting how he can afford to buy a $38,000 watch "if he wants". Why this had any relevance to his original question beats me. If I sounded "smart arsed" then he sounds full of it. Edited by giddyup

Think the Middle East...Bahrain, Dubai, etc. Flights there are plentiful and reasonably cheap. Very small import tax and no export tax.

Dubai Duty Free will have anything from Rolex to Seiko. Go there, buy what you want and wear it home. I have seen luxury watches on display here.

Watches are much cheaper in Saudi Arabia but you can't get in unless you have a visa. Tough to enter.

Shipping it will likely result in some nice man from customs ending up wearing your new watch.

http://www.dubaidutyfree.com