Bangkok: D S I Summons St Gabriel's Execs Over Finances

webfact

DSI summons St Gabriel's execs over finances
Piyanut Tumnukasetchai
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Executives of the St Gabriel's Foundation are expected to testify before the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) next week.

The DSI is looking into a complaint that the foundation, which operates several schools including the prestigious Assumption College, misused donations and was charging very high fees.

Established more than a century ago, Assumption College is a well-known boys-only school. However, its reputation was affected when teachers and alumni began protesting and other scandals started emerging earlier this year.

A network of parents has since lodged a complaint directly with the DSI asking it to look into the bank accounts of the foundation's executives and those of their close aides.

"We are acting on the complaint," Pol Lt-Colonel Bantoon Chimkra of the DSI said yesterday.

He said that the foundation's executives were priests and had previously postponed meetings with the DSI citing religious obligations. "But by now, they should be free to respond to the DSI summonses," Bantoon said.

According to him, the DSI has already contacted the Revenue Department and banks to find out if financial transactions by the foundation's executives were suspicious, but it hasn't heard back yet.

"We have targeted some executives first, but if the irregularities are confirmed, then we will have to investigate the bank accounts of other executives as well," Bantoon said. "It will take a while for them to compile the evidence and review it," he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-20

If the DSI need to make a case they only need to speak to teachers (Thai and Western) especially at Montford College, Chiang Mai (part of the St Gabriel's Foundation). Fees are exorbitant - extras are blatantly expected (50,000 baht to resit an examination) the teacher gets nothing and is told to pass the kid - dozens of fiddles and corruption - ask them about Montford students who did not have the intelligence to pass one single examination and yet were admitted to Chiang Mai University - ask them about the head of a section who, just before a Ministry of Education visit told all students in his section that "if asked a question (by the Ministry of Education) it is sometimes better to lie!"

• Like 2

If the DSI need to make a case they only need to speak to teachers (Thai and Western) especially at Montford College, Chiang Mai (part of the St Gabriel's Foundation). Fees are exorbitant - extras are blatantly expected (50,000 baht to resit an examination) the teacher gets nothing and is told to pass the kid - dozens of fiddles and corruption - ask them about Montford students who did not have the intelligence to pass one single examination and yet were admitted to Chiang Mai University - ask them about the head of a section who, just before a Ministry of Education visit told all students in his section that "if asked a question (by the Ministry of Education) it is sometimes better to lie!"

Yes, I think in the case of the OP, the execs underestimated just how powerful some those parents are. I bet if you or I complained (and justly so) about our own schools to the DSI we'd quickly be shown the door. Corruption in schools is rife here, and not just Christian schools.
  • Like 1

First publicised case I've heard of from DSI that doesn't seem politically motivated, or maybe it is? Montford is Thaksin's old school, it's full of crony wannabes. Friend of ours went to see them about admitting 6 year old and their first question was; so, how much are you going to donate as key money. Friend stop up and said, I'm looking for decent school, not a charity, and walked out.

Yes, I think in the case of the OP, the execs underestimated just how powerful some those parents are. I bet if you or I complained (and justly so) about our own schools to the DSI we'd quickly be shown the door. Corruption in schools is rife here, and not just Christian schools.

To be honest i do not think they care. Church is the most powerful organisation in the world,including financial power.

Look at all the priests who were child molesters, none i believe ever saw a jail cell, but were dealt by the church, whatever that means.

I do not think or expect much to come out from this, either some "connected" people will be refunded or given free education and case closed

First publicised case I've heard of from DSI that doesn't seem politically motivated, or maybe it is? Montford is Thaksin's old school, it's full of crony wannabes. Friend of ours went to see them about admitting 6 year old and their first question was; so, how much are you going to donate as key money. Friend stop up and said, I'm looking for decent school, not a charity, and walked out.

I agree in principle but, forget the Thaksin rubbish - althought he did go there

To be honest i do not think they care. Church is the most powerful organisation in the world,including financial power.

Look at all the priests who were child molesters, none i believe ever saw a jail cell, but were dealt by the church, whatever that means.

I do not think or expect much to come out from this, either some "connected" people will be refunded or given free education and case closed

Are you in Thailand? Buddhists rule man

A significant number of hiso's send their kids to the international schools including the Christian schools.

Agree about Montfort having had a child that went there. The thing is though, it is regarded as one of the best 'Thai' schools in the North of Thailand. In reality it's probably not much better than loads of others, it's just the name one is paying for. In a job market where most applicants for work can easily have scores of 75-85% for most subjects (say 3.0 - 3.2 or more), the next way to separate them is by which school they went to, so that's where the name comes in.

Substance ranks second best to outward form, as with many things in Thailand. We may be saddened, but we shouldn't be surprised.

Edited by 15Peter20

During my teaching days in Bangkok this organisation had a foul reputation amongst teachers but has always managed to present the image of high quality education so no shortage of students paying big money

Thai culture.

Schools are just another facet.

Schools exist, therefore there's the opportunity for money, money, money. Can dress up the means of getting the money easier - must have this..............etc

Education-wise, Thai culture can cut costs. Get mediocre teachers whose teaching methods are 'sit down, open your books, listen, don't ask questions, class over'. As there is no parent/school involvement, all that parents see is the award of a magic bit of paper.

Seems like Thai culture treats education as a black-box. Put the children in, pay the money and they come out the other end with the certificate. Shame there's no ability associated with the education they've received. (Want the name of a dental clinic where the Doctor speaks English 'nit noi'?)

Just a showcase investigation. It appears the school is too powerful to need to worry about whether its activities are legal.

Same same

Its a Buddhist country, it does not mean Buddhist rule., not to mention again the connections church has all across.

PS. Many Chinese are NOT Buddhist

Hear, hear!

I heard from a teacher who wasn't paid. These "Christians" make me sick.

Forget basic human decency, like paying a salary for time worked...

What are you on about?

It's about embezzlement. One way to embezzle funds is not to pay employees. These employees worked full time for the whole month and they get nothing, nada zilch. Because the owners of that school embezzled the salaries. Can you now see the relevance?

Cui bono?

It is one thing to talk losely about irregularities or to refer to factual embezzlements.

Hope many teachers will come forward and be witnesses in a trial against the St. Gabriel's Foundation. Likewise, parents should do the same regarding bribes demanded...