Powerful Thai People.

JeffreyWitty

Maybe it's just me - BUT -

Does anyone else notice that the people in positions of power (business, entertainment, politics) are of Chinese decent/heritage?

I find it odd, this lack of diversity. As if, possibly long ago, Chinese immigrants came in, assimilated, and took control.

I am not sure if anything is wrong with this but it reminds me of the parallel of white European immigrants who long ago came to the USA (and/or Australia) and took control from the native population.

Just an observation - I wonder if anyone else notices this.

It's been observed by Thais and called the "Chinese Factors" in Thai . Many Chinese families are doctors and rich business people while native darker skin Thai are mostly peasants. Natives Thais descendants are believe to be lazy and incompetent a lot of Chinese descendants refuse mix mariage. Not to mention the Indian Sikhs who dominate in the properties business in BKK. Most Thais don't mind the Chinese...

Indonesia have similar problems between Chinese descendants and local but in a more violent way.

power (business, entertainment, politics) are of Chinese decent/heritage?

• Like 1

Just curious, but how on Earth can you possibly know which Thais have Chinese heritage? Because they have light skin? There are plenty of Thais in northern Thailand who have light skin and are not in positions of power. Does that debunk your theory? I'm sure if you ask any of these Thais in power what their ethnicity is, 100% of them will say "Thai"....not Thai-Chinese, or Chinese, or anything else.

If you see how usual Thais work and how usual Chinese work.

If you see how Chinese families value education and how usual Thais value education.

--> Than you'll understand it.

Beside some real Thais are just bleached, so they appear to be white like Chinese.....

Well I don't think non-Chinese Thais undervalue education.

They just can't afford it.

Big difference

• Like 1

Just curious, but how on Earth can you possibly know which Thais have Chinese heritage? Because they have light skin? There are plenty of Thais in northern Thailand who have light skin and are not in positions of power. Does that debunk your theory? I'm sure if you ask any of these Thais in power what their ethnicity is, 100% of them will say "Thai"....not Thai-Chinese, or Chinese, or anything else.

No, not at all "because they have light skin". I am talking about Thais who traditionally follow Chinese culture aspects - such as (for 1 example) patrons of the traditional Chinese version of Buddhism (the "fat Budda" for lack of a better term).

I try not to judge based on "light skin" - it's not a good indicator - so I just observe more closely.

Also - even though I am descendant from Germans, I identify with being an American. That still does not change my family history though. So - I AGREE with you - even Thai's of Chinese decent - I expect them to label themselves as THAIs.

Again, this is all just my personal observation - I'm not claiming any scientific study - and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this.

Edited by JeffreyWitty

To the OP...

If you’re talking about Bangkok and its surrounds, Chinese are not exactly immigrants. In facts they were already here even before the current Chakri dynasty, and even before the burned down of Ayuttaya (capital of the Ayuttaya Kingdom). They were already intermingling, and establishing themselves through waterway trades with the locals even before the Thonburi period (Thonburi is the original capital before Bangkok).

The then Chineses were busy living and doing businesses on both sides of the Chaopraya River, before the Chakri King had decided to build the GrandPalace. So many of the local families at the spot (mostly Chineses ) had to move out and build their home and business elsewhere. That’s why you only see a part of the original Chinese settlement (the Chinatown today), as for many they just moved to the Thonburi side.

Thailand is a rare country that we don’t really view the original Chineses as immigrants. Not like in many countries in asia, where the natives is always the darker skin one. Just to point out that the people of Issan region are not the native of Thailand. I think the …Mon, Burmese, Tai tribe, Mongo were the original natives, followed by the central thai-chinese)

The issan region got added much later (I think…later than the addition of the Lanna Kingdom (northern)). I don’t remember the exact year, may be someone can dig it up. Or even before the Lanna?... but anyhow, the issaan region wasn’t the original part of Siam until much later on.

Just a small lesson in history here (even tho is not complete, but you should get the drift)

In summary,

The original thai chineses were here as trademen, businessmen (4-5 generations ago)....not as retirees. It's wise to assume that they would be raising their next generations with money and with same work ethics.

Edited by doji
  • Like 2

Believe me, they will never hide their Chinese heritage.

Especially at Chinese new year.

They celebrate Chinese new year more than Songkran.

• Like 1

Just curious, but how on Earth can you possibly know which Thais have Chinese heritage?

That's easy, they are all married to Thai Visa members.

I suspect the opposite, that they are in the minority. coffee1.gif

Edited by maxme

Where's MediumPaceBowler when you need him. coffee1.gif

To be fair, you have caused quite the ruckus in other threads. So who needs him when we have our very own Wreckin'-Blether? w00t.gif

Edited by maxme

To be fair, you have caused quite the ruckus in other threads. So who needs him when we have our very own Wreckin'-Blether? w00t.gif

Have not.........I've been behaving myself, you know what I'm like when the bad blether turns up. coffee1.gif

OP.......I often speak to Thai people of Chinese descent who can track exactly which grandparent, great grandparent etc actually came to Thailand. In fact I met with a Chinese lady recently who was the Yai of a good friend.

There is one thing I have found in common with all Thai-Chinese people, they are proudly Thai, and they will not thank you for suggesting otherwise. So in as much as they may share common traits, such as dedication to business, whereas the indigenous Tai were more known for their "Sanuk" attitude, ( possibly a couple of gross generalisations, but it is the General Forum so watch my concerned face ), they are avowedly Thai.

If you ever want to know the difference between the Tai ethic and the Chinese ethic, while the local Tai boys were gang-banging the village ladyboy, the Chinese boy was selling the condoms, and using the profit to marry the prettiest girl in the village.

There, in a nutshell, is why the Thai-Chinese rose to the top. smile.png

Though I see your point, there is still some vague insinuation that there is a difference between the Thais and the Sino-Thais beside the appearance.

Just thought I should point out that to you.

Have not.........I've been behaving myself, you know what I'm like when the bad blether turns up. coffee1.gif

No, care to give an example what that might be like? I have always thought you were the same, you know... Scottish. coffee1.gif

OP.......I often speak to Thai people of Chinese descent who can track exactly which grandparent, great grandparent etc actually came to Thailand. In fact I met with a Chinese lady recently who was the Yai of a good friend.

There is one thing I have found in common with all Thai-Chinese people, they are proudly Thai, and they will not thank you for suggesting otherwise. So in as much as they may share common traits, such as dedication to business, whereas the indigenous Tai were more known for their "Sanuk" attitude, ( possibly a couple of gross generalisations, but it is the General Forum so watch my concerned face ), they are avowedly Thai.

If you ever want to know the difference between the Tai ethic and the Chinese ethic, while the local Tai boys were gang-banging the village ladyboy, the Chinese boy was selling the condoms, and using the profit to marry the prettiest girl in the village.

Though I see your point, there is still some vague insinuation that there is a difference between the Thais and the Sino-Thais beside the appearance.

Ehm.....that's what I said. blink.png

Anyway your just trying to trick me into being bad blether, I'm not falling for that one. coffee1.gif

Anyway your just trying to trick me into being bad blether, I'm not falling for that one. coffee1.gif

Sorry I should have clarified. You indirectly pointed out that the Sino-Thais are infact smarter than the Thais thefore, how can they see themselves as Thais? Or were you trying to saying something entirely different?

Oh and yes, I´m trying to bait ya' and the show has just begun. coffee1.gif

Sorry I should have clarified. You indirectly pointed out that the Sino-Thais are infact smarter than the Thais thefore, how can they see themselves as Thais? Or were you trying to saying something entirely different?

Oh and yes, I´m trying to bait ya' and the show has just begun. coffee1.gif

Nope......I made no reference to respective IQ's......to me it's a win-win-win-win situation.

The Tai boys get a good jump, the ladyboy get's well sorted, the Sino get's a few quid and Pretty Girl get's her wealthy man.

What's wrong with that? ermm.gif

If you see how Chinese families value education and how usual Thais value education.

Beside some real Thais are just bleached, so they appear to be white like Chinese.....

Big difference

That wasn't my impression.

Schooling isn't a big priority for Thais.

Nope......I made no reference to respective IQ's......to me it's a win-win-win-win situation.

The Tai boys get a good jump, the ladyboy get's well sorted, the Sino get's a few quid and Pretty Girl get's her wealthy man.

What's wrong with that? ermm.gif//

Well, since it is Thailand we are talking about, I guess you could take it as an accomplishment...blink.png

It's not just Thailand. The Chinese diaspora was in control of no less than 80% of south east Asia's economy at one stage, according to some estimates (can't provide the stats, possibly in the far east economic review circa 1985). Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Vietnam all had Chinese ethnics controlling their economies...and which country is the most successful in SE. Asia ? The one where the Chinese are at the helm,ie Singapore.

I don't know the reasons for their overwhelming success, but Dr. mahathir ex pm of Malaysia, when discussing the Malay dilemma reckons the Chinese had to survive centuries of harsh Winters, evil war lords/Mandarins/emperors, famine, diseases, earthquakes which resulted in a more ruthless culture whereas the native SE Asians like the Malays, had warm sunny climates all year, bountiful seas and forests, fertile deltas...and one becomes more chilled after generations of such abundance.

just sharing what I have read, neither agree nor disagree.

There's also an old Chinese mantra about 20% profit being big enough to make a living, and small enough to keep your customer happy. This psychology was passed down through the generations and in effect it created a vast trading class that looked at the longer picture.

• Like 1

Big difference

That wasn't my impression.

Schooling isn't a big priority for Thais.

It is for a lot of them.

Many will move heaven and earth to pay for further education for promising students.

It's not lost on them how the inability to pay schooling costs leaves their children disadvantaged. I seem to recall education being a big issue during the general election.

• Like 1

Well, since it is Thailand we are talking about, I guess you could take it as an accomplishment...blink.png

So you have your answer as to why the Sino-Thais rose to the top. I told you theblether was very clever. coffee1.gif

theblether, on 24 Apr 2013 - 16:52, said:

maxme, on 24 Apr 2013 - 16:44, said:

So you have your answer as to why the Sino-Thais rose to the top. I told you theblether was very clever. coffee1.gif

Here's another rhetorical question. Since they have reached the tippy-top of the society because of their business skills and ahem, leadership, why is this country still in development hell? coffee1.gif

Edited by maxme