Always On 3G For Laptop?

Currently using ais 3G always on netsim on my tablet using a 7G package and very happy with it. I have family coming to stay for a few weeks and for the sake of convenience I would like to have one of my laptops connected to the net for them without the need for dialling up. Is it possible to use a net sim that will stay on?

Edited by TexasRanger

Why don't you just get some 3G to Wifi tethering software, and then share your existing 3G for the other laptops?

For Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.svtechpartners.wifihotspotdemo or https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stt.mobilehotspot

If that is not the solution, your provider (AIS) also has 12Call prepaid netsims for that purpose...

You say you have a tablet, assuming Android or iPad it should have built in "portable hotspot", which can be used to create a WiFi hotspot and the ability to share the mobile broadband (3G) connection with up to 5 devices. (Android: Settings, Wireless & networks, More, Tethering and portable hotpot,: Set up WiFi hotpot, then enable Portable WiFi hotpot.)

I guess it would help if you could share any details re: your tablet (brand, SW ver., etc.), and why you are toggling data on/off. Most people, with a tablet and a 7 GB unlimited 3G plan would just leave mobile data on all the time.

Sure, to confirm.

I have a galaxy note 10.1 and it is easy for me to use the hotspot. I leave my data on all the time.

I use my tablet as a hotspot occasionaly when I actually need to use my laptop.

However, it seems to really use a bucketload of data when acting as a hotspot.

When my folks come to visit (older less tech savvy) it would be nice to have my laptop connected so they can check mail etc. At their convenience without having to connect and disconnect using a usb dongle.

I wondered If the 3g unlimited sim could be connected using a usb dongle as my laptop obviouslyhas no sim port.

Not sure why you would use more mobile data with the hotpot enabled, unless there are WiFi devices attached, obviously.

You could get/use a USB aircard on the PC and then use your AIS NetSIM in that device, but I'm missing why you'd want to do this when the portable hot-spot is the ideal solution?

Not sure why you would use more mobile data with the hotpot enabled, unless there are WiFi devices attached, obviously.

You could get/use a USB aircard on the PC and then use your AIS NetSIM in that device, but I'm missing why you'd want to do this when the portable hot-spot is the ideal solution?

The whole idea of the hotspot is to have wifi devices attached hence it uses a butt load of data. That is why it isnt the ideal solution. Last time people stayed they were using a tablet and iphone for the basics and I used a months worth of data in a week.

I am obviously missing the crux of your application. Are you trying to offer limited internet access? Or just trying to offer potentially unlimited internet access but on a plan/SIM other than your own? People are going to use a butt-/boat- load of data regardless of how you serve it up.

"Last time" it might have been better for the guests to purchase their own SIM for the iPhone and hot-spot for the tablet.

I guess the solution(s) seem obvious: get a second SIM, either for your tablet or phone or for a USB air-card, or bite the bullet and share your 7 GB, perhaps even enabling and disabling the hot-spot feature as you see fit? I think the FuP is 256 384 Kbps so still usable.

Edited by lomatopo

I don't know if this will help you but I use the 3G service from TOT. They set up an antenna next to our house with a small receiver on top then ran a cable into my office. I have it connected to a wifi router. It is always on, it costs me less than 1,000 baht per month, I get a little over 1 MB/S download speeds (mega byte not mega bit) and additional computers on the home network don't seem to slow it down noticeably.

I don't know if this will help you but I use the 3G service from TOT. They set up an antenna next to our house with a small receiver on top then ran a cable into my office. I have it connected to a wifi router. It is always on, it costs me less than 1,000 baht per month, I get a little over 1 MB/S download speeds (mega byte not mega bit) and additional computers on the home network don't seem to slow it down noticeably.

That seems to be just what I need. How did you go about getting it set up, was it a pain?

That seems to be just what I need. How did you go about getting it set up, was it a pain?

Contact your local TOT office and ask them about their 3G service. We live in the provinces and I believe that the Thai Govt. gives TOT incentives to get the Internet to people in rural areas. They set up our antenna at no charge; there are 30 households on our TOT WAN. I couldn't be happier with the service.

I am obviously missing the crux of your application. Are you trying to offer limited internet access? Or just trying to offer potentially unlimited internet access but on a plan/SIM other than your own? People are going to use a butt-/boat- load of data regardless of how you serve it up.

"Last time" it might have been better for the guests to purchase their own SIM for the iPhone and hot-spot for the tablet.

I guess the solution(s) seem obvious: get a second SIM, either for your tablet or phone or for a USB air-card, or bite the bullet and share your 7 GB, perhaps even enabling and disabling the hot-spot feature as you see fit? I think the FuP is 256 384 Kbps so still usable.

Last time there was little warning of guests arriving hence the use of the hotspot.

This is what I want to know, if I buy a usb dongle and netsim, can it stay on all the time without having to connect/ disconnect every time.

Edited by TexasRanger

TOT's WiNet system isn't something you can turn on and off as and when it suits you or you need it (when you have guests staying) it's a permanent internet service.

If you do most of your surfing/streaming at home it might still be for you.

As Utley says it costs just under a 1000 baht a month and for that you get totally unlimited downloads/uploads. Personally I get over 8 meg download speed and up to one meg uploads and can connect several devices to it at any one time. TOT will fit an antenna to your roof at home and set everything up. You don't have to do anything.

My wife and I also use AIS netsims with unlimited 2G and smaller monthly 3G data internet allowances in our phones so we can surf while out and about when we want to, while our daughter prefers to pay for her phone internet usage on a pay as you use system, prepaying for one/two hours as and when she needs to. I might be wrong but I think it costs her 9 baht for an hours use. Not sure how long that hour is valid for either.

The access service which some are referring to here is TOT Wi-NET, AIS has a similar service, AirNET as does 3BB. These are not 3G but rather P2P Wireless on 2.4 or 5 GHz. This access technology is meant for rural areas rather than urban ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tot+wi_NET+site%3Athaivisa.com&aq=f&oq=tot+wi_NET+site%3Athaivisa.com&aqs=chrome.0.57.7549j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The access service which some are referring to here is TOT Wi-NET, AIS has a similar service, AirNET as does 3BB. These are not 3G but rather P2P Wireless on 2.4 or 5 GHz. This access technology is meant for rural areas rather than urban ones.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tot+wi_NET+site%3Athaivisa.com&aq=f&oq=tot+wi_NET+site%3Athaivisa.com&aqs=chrome.0.57.7549j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

TOT are also using WiNet in urban areas where there all telephone lines are in use and there are none available in the foreseeable future for your particular area.

I live in Chonburi city, not a rural area, and a few years ago we had a phone line and internet connection. Then we moved to the UK for a couple of years and when we returned there were no available phone lines for our area so they installed Wi Net instead. For me it works really well and the speeds I get are consistently high with no drastic drop during peak times that we used to suffer from on the phone line system.

I guess the solution(s) seem obvious: get a second SIM, either for your tablet or phone or for a USB air-card, or bite the bullet and share your 7 GB, perhaps even enabling and disabling the hot-spot feature as you see fit? I think the FuP is 256 384 Kbps so still usable.Last time there was little warning of guests arriving hence the use of the hotspot.

This is what I want to know, if I buy a usb dongle and netsim, can it stay on all the time without having to connect/ disconnect every time.

Yes it can stay online all the time, just the same as your tablet.

The only difference of ours being that if you shut down your laptop, the connection is dropped as well.

After re-booting, if the dongle is still inserted, the dongle software will boot automatically, but before accessing the internet, you will manually need to connect to the internet through the dongle software.

Obviously there are many different brands dongles/software out there, so it's possible some will connect fully automatically.

Another solution would be to buy a mifi device (mobile hotspot), then you can have seemless wifi all the time.

Sent from my B1-A71 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I guess the solution(s) seem obvious: get a second SIM, either for your tablet or phone or for a USB air-card, or bite the bullet and share your 7 GB, perhaps even enabling and disabling the hot-spot feature as you see fit? I think the FuP is 256 384 Kbps so still usable.Last time there was little warning of guests arriving hence the use of the hotspot.

Yes it can stay online all the time, just the same as your tablet.

The only difference of ours being that if you shut down your laptop, the connection is dropped as well.

After re-booting, if the dongle is still inserted, the dongle software will boot automatically, but before accessing the internet, you will manually need to connect to the internet through the dongle software.

Obviously there are many different brands dongles/software out there, so it's possible some will connect fully automatically.

Another solution would be to buy a mifi device (mobile hotspot), then you can have seemless wifi all the time.

Sent from my B1-A71 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

That's what I wanted to know, many thanks.

Hi

Sorry to gatecrash but you guys can probably help me with a similar problem.

I have a village house in Chayapoum with no phone lines and a dodgy AIS connection.

Have just bought a repeater to boost the phone signal and next need to get an internet connection.

Is there a way I can get a decent connection using a laptop and AIS dongle. I get the impression that just a dongle is pretty slow but from above it seems I could insert a 2 or 3G sim into the dongle and get much better speeds. I thought however that 2g/3g used a different frequency to the normal AIS mobile phone connection.

Sorry I am a total novice but would appreciate any help.

Hi

I have a village house in Chayapoum with no phone lines and a dodgy AIS connection.

Have just bought a repeater to boost the phone signal and next need to get an internet connection.

Is there a way I can get a decent connection using a laptop and AIS dongle. I get the impression that just a dongle is pretty slow but from above it seems I could insert a 2 or 3G sim into the dongle and get much better speeds. I thought however that 2g/3g used a different frequency to the normal AIS mobile phone connection.

It is pretty slow but unless Chayapoum has 3G coverage it doesn't matter what sim you use. I have a 3G plan but when I am in an area not covered by 3G it droos down to regular dial up speed.

Hi

Check who has 3G in your area.

If you're out in the middle of nowhere, True-H is your best bet. They have prepaid SIM cards the same as AIS, and good speeds. They'll also sell you a dongle, they're really cheap nowadays, 1 - 2 k baht.

Hi

Check who has 3G in your area.

If you're out in the middle of nowhere, True-H is your best bet. They have prepaid SIM cards the same as AIS, and good speeds. They'll also sell you a dongle, they're really cheap nowadays, 1 - 2 k baht.

Thanks for the advice. Will go to their Chayapoum office and see what they have. Thing is I don't hold out much hope of them actually doing anything. Went to the TOT office there and asked if they could supply the wireless service they have. They said someone would come by and see if I have a signal. Despite repeated requests over 2 months later no one has come. How do these companies survive??