Us Embassy Bangkok Dress Code?

Show some respect. Use your head. You are dealing with Thai employees at the Embassy more than likely. I would never walk into a Canadian Embassy in shorts and sandals. This is Thailand not America.

Actually, not true. Each Embassy is technical sovereign territory of its country. In the American Citizens services section nobody gives a toss, Thai employees included.

Show some respect. Use your head. You are dealing with Thai employees at the Embassy more than likely. I would never walk into a Canadian Embassy in shorts and sandals. This is Thailand not America.

Maybe so, but the citizens of the respective embassies cannot be refused service due to fashion whims. Do you understand that an elderly man can show up at the Canadian embassy wearing a lovely flower sun dress, and still be be served? The same applies for the UK, US etc. embassies. The Thai staff are employees of the embassy and they are there to provide service to the embassy nation's nationals as well as others. The Thai staff do not set the criteria.

Edited by geriatrickid

You can get away with shorts and sandals but try to look sharp.

Don't embarrass the rest of us with flip flops, dirty shorts and no shirt.

(actually saw that once at Thai Immigration and should have stuck around to see how that went)

You can get away with shorts and sandals but try to look sharp.

Don't embarrass the rest of us with flip flops, dirty shorts and no shirt.

(actually saw that once at Thai Immigration and should have stuck around to see how that went)

I've seen some shocking fashion disasters there. dirty t-shirts over pot belly, ill-fitting bermuda shorts, black socks and dress shoes (not to mention blustering loud demands and anger). I think anything up from that is an improvement.

Maybe so, but the citizens of the respective embassies cannot be refused service due to fashion whims. Do you understand that an elderly man can show up at the Canadian embassy wearing a lovely flower sun dress, and still be be served? The same applies for the UK, US etc. embassies. The Thai staff are employees of the embassy and they are there to provide service to the embassy nation's nationals as well as others. The Thai staff do not set the criteria.

I prefer to wear long pants and a short sleeve shirt when I go out but that's just me. I'd hate to think I had to bow to a "dress code" and especially one established by a host country when I know the actual embassy is sovereign territory of my country.

Being clean from a hygiene standpoint is important to me and I prefer others practice some measure of cleanliness but I'm not in charge and I have to have respect for others even if they occasionally offend my senses.

I've been to the embassy many times wearing shorts and a nice shirt. I don't think there's a dress code, but I've rarely seen others dressed really poorly. I'm sure it happens, but it's the exception rather than the norm.

Hey, this is Thailand. It's bloody hot. Nothing wrong with nice shorts and a nice short sleeve shirt. And sandals. But if you want to impress, long pants and shoes would be better.

I've been to the embassy many times wearing shorts and a nice shirt. I don't think there's a dress code, but I've rarely seen others dressed really poorly. I'm sure it happens, but it's the exception rather than the norm.

Hey, this is Thailand. It's bloody hot. Nothing wrong with nice shorts and a nice short sleeve shirt. And sandals. But if you want to impress, long pants and shoes would be better.

Exactly, it's hot in Thailand, I don't want to wear long pants if I don't have to. I prefer shorts. And I will wear a nice shirt, of course.

Actually, not true. Each Embassy is technical sovereign territory of its country. In the American Citizens services section nobody gives a toss, Thai employees included.

I thought so too until I read recently that an embassy being sovereign territory of it's county is a myth (technically). The grounds still belong to the host country - it's just that the host country has sworn to protect the grounds as if it were sovereign territory. This international convention works everywhere except of course in Iran.