Cm108 Reporting Some Street Vendors Using Moat Water To Clean Utensils

CobraSnakeNecktie

Lots of reports of water shortages and dry taps in some areas of CM

Hard to believe but I guess lack of education makes this possible.

I got a stomach bug a few days ago and while I didn't eat from a vendor near the moat it still is worth pointing out. It's maybe the first time I have gotten sick from food in about 4 years.

Not fun to have a fever like that.

I guess its a heads up reminder to check to see if taps are working in the area you might be dining.

https://www.facebook.com/chiangmai108

• Like 2

My partner and her family absolutely refuse to eat food from street vendors anywhere in Thailand for reasons like this; as well as the improper storage/handling of meat and poultry. I haven't eaten food from street vendors in years but have still managed to get sick from sit down restaurants about 5 or 6 times over the last 6 years.

The g/f just told me that she has been following this story on facebook and that one seller says she was unfairly accused of using moat water to wash the dishes and was photographed taking the water. She says that due to the lack of water she was forced to have to purchase a large tank of water which is sitting in a truck behind her shop, to be used for washing the dishes. She says she has indeed been taking moat water to wash the floor. She invited the photographer/reporter to come and look and take more photos and set the story straight. But she said she can oly speak for herself.

You got a stomach bug.

From somewhere,it could of been a momentary lack of hygiene on your part.

But you decide to blame,Thai standards.

Very Farang,of you.

What about the 100+ chinese who were airlifted to bkk hospital with food poisoning the other day and are blaming the tour company, were they acting like "farang" as well?

Silly....

• Like 2

I admire the headline, but nowhere is there any evidence of them using it to clean utensils. Floors and outside areas need cleaning too.

Second, this is a regular restaurant, not a street vendor. Not saying that street vendors all have the highest standards, but the example doesn't match the rant against them.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

The g/f just told me that she has been following this story on facebook and that one seller says she was unfairly accused of using moat water to wash the dishes and was photographed taking the water. She says that due to the lack of water she was forced to have to purchase a large tank of water which is sitting in a truck behind her shop, to be used for washing the dishes. She says she has indeed been taking moat water to wash the floor. She invited the photographer/reporter to come and look and take more photos and set the story straight. But she said she can oly speak for herself.

yeah I saw that response from the owner of that restaurant also. Hopefully that's the case in general that vendors have the good sense to preserve clean safety.

Have been reports of water shortage however so I don't think I am too out of line to say heads up.

I eat a vendor carts along Suthep all the time and in general I don't think they are unsafe at all.

I admire the headline, but nowhere is there any evidence of them using it to clean utensils. Floors and outside areas need cleaning too.

Second, this is a regular restaurant, not a street vendor. Not saying that street vendors all have the highest standards, but the example doesn't match the rant against them.

Bringing moat water into a restaurant at all.. Floors etc... Can't be a good practice unless they are treating the water with bleach or chlorine.

Was I really ranting? Maybe I am still under the weather.

PS I use the auto translate tool to interpret sites like CM108 and end up guessing on some meanings and reports.

Okay I agree the headline is off. Not sure what to change it to.. or how can I change it?

"CM108 Reports some restaurants might be are using moat water to clean the floors due to tap water shortage"?

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie
  • Like 1

I saw this (use of moat water) with my own eyes in Pha Yao. That was the time we decided to take our own rice and rice cooker with us when we travel in the future. Not much cheaper, most hotels won't let you cook on the premises, but much better than the 3/4th class rice you get usually.

Come to that the oil they use is often bought from restaurants that have finished with it and cleaned with bleach.

Best street food in the world? Ha ha.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cooked

I saw this (use of moat water) with my own eyes in Pha Yao. That was the time we decided to take our own rice and rice cooker with us when we travel in the future. Not much cheaper, most hotels won't let you cook on the premises, but much better than the 3/4th class rice you get usually.

Come to that the oil they use is often bought from restaurants that have finished with it and cleaned with bleach.

I've noticed a number of Thais traveling with their own rice/rice cooker. You are right, the quality of the rice is usually junk grade at most hotel restaurants. Also many Thais prefer brown or mun poo, etc. rice to polished white rice which is usually the only choice. We usually travel with brown khao neow - not something I would do on my own but for the family...

I have seen that 'cleaned' used oil being delivered to shops around town which is another reason we avoid most places and mostly eat at home.

Edited by elektrified

I saw this (use of moat water) with my own eyes in Pha Yao. That was the time we decided to take our own rice and rice cooker with us when we travel in the future.

Phayao has a moat?

Anyway, I hope everyone enjoys McDonald's. Western standards! Ha ha.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai
  • Like 2

Phayao might not have a moat but its got an awfully big lake. Water shortage in CM ? would it be a surprise after the amount that was thrown around during Songkran. We were at Mae Rim Lagoon Resort this week and the lagoon is just a puddle, been going there for years and never seen it so low, neither have the staff

My partner and her family absolutely refuse to eat food from street vendors anywhere in Thailand for reasons like this; as well as the improper storage/handling of meat and poultry. I haven't eaten food from street vendors in years but have still managed to get sick from sit down restaurants about 5 or 6 times over the last 6 years.

When I took my wife and 4 teens kids to Indonesia for 2 years, a Professor in the Med. Faculty advised me to make sure I ate some yoghurt every day, the type which contains acidophillus.

We had a maid who'd worked for a Danish family, and she had made yoghurt for them, so she kept up the good work.

So two adults, four teens, and not one stomach bug in two years of living in East. Indonesia.

There's some good medical reasons why this works, but not the topic for this forum.

You got a stomach bug.

Very Farang,of you.

What about the 100+ chinese who were airlifted to bkk hospital with food poisoning the other day and are blaming the tour company, were they acting like "farang" as well?

Silly....

Do you have a link for this story? Really hard for me to imagine 100+ people being airlifted to Bangkok.

-Mestizo

You got a stomach bug.

Very Farang,of you.

Silly....

Do you have a link for this story? Really hard for me to imagine 100+ people being airlifted to Bangkok.

-Mestizo

+1

You got a stomach bug.

Very Farang,of you.

Silly....

-Mestizo

Nothing here http://www.infopig.com/keywords/airlift.html

You got a stomach bug.

Very Farang,of you.

Silly....

-Mestizo

Nothing here http://www.infopig.com/keywords/airlift.html

Perhaps I was a little over zealous, it was 30 chinese and they were rushed to hospital in bkk, not airlifted.

However, my point is still made.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/634633-30-chinese-tourists-suffer-food-poisoning-after-lunch-at-larn-island-restaurant/

I won't eat from street stalls anymore. Too many nights on the toilet and I've seen them do too many disgusting things, including reusing items by just wiping them off with a rag instead of cleaning them.

Since I cut out street food (5 years ago) I have not had the squirts once. Prior to that I would get it once a month usually.

Silly....

Perhaps I was a little over zealous, it was 30 chinese and they were rushed to hospital in bkk, not airlifted.

However, my point is still made.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/634633-30-chinese-tourists-suffer-food-poisoning-after-lunch-at-larn-island-restaurant/

LOL! Yes, your point is still made, except:

• It wasn't in Chiang Mai but on an island near Pattaya
  • Not only weren't they 'airlifted', they weren't even taken to Bangkok! They were taken to the main area hospital, a couple miles down the road. ("Bangkok Hospital, Pattaya") Being airlifted from Chiang Mai to Bangkok implies a major health emergency that is actually hard to imagine. Would make for a dramatic statement, if true)
  • Not actually street food, but a restaurant. (And not clear that their water source had anything to do with it.)
  • The logic of the argument: "He must have gotten it from street/restaurant food, because here I have a random news story of 30 people who did get it from a restaurant, so therefore he got it from food, too."

But yes, a point was made alright; one about web forum discussions. rolleyes.gif

Err, umm, noooo,

about complaining about getting sick being a "farang" thing to do. Perhaps you don't get the point at all though....wouldn't surprise me.

And...a restaurant on koh larn is about the same as street food in chiang mai or anywhere in my opinion

I won't eat from street stalls anymore. Too many nights on the toilet and I've seen them do too many disgusting things, including reusing items by just wiping them off with a rag instead of cleaning them.

Since I cut out street food (5 years ago) I have not had the squirts once. Prior to that I would get it once a month usually.

Not all street food is alike. Many are very long running, very popular places. It'd be a mistake IMHO to think that all street food = bad and all restaurant food is better. With a street food stall (or food market stall) you can actually SEE them prepare things, unlike most restaurants where you have no visibility.

I would also rate all of my favorite street food (and good market) places far above any random restaurant in a tourist area, such as Ko Larn.

I'd say for any place that prepares food (restaurant, food stall or otherwise) it helps to make some educated guesses before visiting. (How long has it been in operation, is it popular, did someone recommend it, how professional does it look generally, etc.) When doing that you are very unlikely to have a problem. And very likely to get great food!

I grew up in squalor sometimes eating dog biscuits and playing with horse crap. Maybe as a result I seem to be immune to most bugs. All the same I'm afraid that I tend to avoid street food if I have an alternative. I have noticed that many Thais do the same.