Thai G/f Wants To Visit Mainland Uk And Southern Ireland

A friend of mine (from mainland UK) Is planning for his Thai g/f to visit him here but he's just landed a job near Dublin. He'd like her to be able to meet his folks and spend some time in Wales as well as go to Dublin.

We're a little confused as to wether she'll need a v-visa for both the UK AND southern Ireland. I'm not aware if she would be checked travelling from north to southern Ireland. Assuming she could travel to northern Ireland on her UK v-visa.

If she could simply go to n-Ireland on her UK v-visa then pop down to Dublin I guess this would be easy (If the UK visa is granted of course).

If this isn't possible, what would the alternative be?

Any help would be cool

Regards

:o

Hi Wayner,

The lady will require a visa for both the UK and the Rep. of Ireland. Travelling between the 2 countries, she is unlikely to be checked but, irrespective of this, she would be in Eire unlawfully if without a visa. Once she has her UK visa she can apply for the Irish one at the Irish consulate in BKK.

Scouse.

Woa!! That's strange, Wayner :o I am just after enquiring about the same thing!!!

I am off to Belfast with my Thai wife soon and of course she needed a UK visa to visit NI. We thought about going down to Dublin for a day trip, so I e-mailed the Irish consulate in BKK asking if there was such a thing as a 1 day visa at the border (Newry/Dundalk). They said technically to enter Ireland LEGALLY, she needed a proper Irish visa as there was 'no border' any more. Reading between the lines, she almost said that as long as you didn't get in trouble or in hospital, no-one could catch you. However, bear in mind that we planned to go down south for only a day's shopping. Any longer than a week or so might be pushing it. As The Scouser said, she is unlikely to be checked. She won't be checked, but as I have crossed that border 100s of times, I have been stopped by the Irish customs (not immigration) twice.

Basically, I'd risk it for a few days, but keep yer nose clean and keep out of trouble!!!!

Hope this helps.

Big A

Thanks again

So I guess that she would have to produce all the documentation prepared for the UK embassy at the Irish embassy in BKK also. Plus a support letter particularly for the Irish? How long would it take to process the Irish visa? Would that be easier/quicker if the Uk visa had already been issued?

My friend wants her to firstly go to Wales, then on to Dublin, returning to Wales before going back to Thailand. I've just checked my wife's first v-visa and it states that it is a multiple entry visa. So I'm assuming that it wouldn't be a problem for someone to go to Ireland from the UK and then return to the UK on the same visa?

It is a little tempting however to just pop down to Dublin from Northern Ireland however.

So I guess that she would have to produce all the documentation prepared for the UK embassy at the Irish embassy in BKK also. I would think so. You'll have to go thru the mill again!!

Plus a support letter particularly for the Irish? How long would it take to process the Irish visa? I'd presume a day or so. The Irish consulate in Sathorn Road is extremely friendly.

Would that be easier/quicker if the Uk visa had already been issued? It certainly wouldn't do any damage!!

My friend wants her to firstly go to Wales, then on to Dublin, returning to Wales before going back to Thailand. I've just checked my wife's first v-visa and it states that it is a multiple entry visa. So I'm assuming that it wouldn't be a problem for someone to go to Ireland from the UK and then return to the UK on the same visa? No way. A multiple entry is just that.....multiple entries into the UK.

It is a little tempting however to just pop down to Dublin from Northern Ireland however.

Isn't it!!!

Have a look at www. irelandinthailand.com

I forgot to add......

Wales to Dublin?. Hmmmm. If she were to go by plane from Cardiff/Swansea to DUB, or by ferry to Dun Loaghaire, would she be checked by some authorities as it is technically an international flight/crossing? She could fly Easy Jey (www.easyjet.com) from Liverpool to Belfast, or get a coach to Stranraer, and then the Seacat to Belfast.

Hope this helps. Food for thought!!

The border crossing info is very useful, well apreciated.

Great feedback, marvellous.

So I guess that she would have to produce all the documentation prepared for the UK embassy at the Irish embassy in BKK also. I would think so. You'll have to go thru the mill again!![/quote]

Isn't it!!!

:D

Wales to Dublin?. Hmmmm. If she were to go by plane from Cardiff/Swansea to DUB, or by ferry to Dun Loaghaire, would she be checked by some authorities as it is technically an international flight/crossing?

Just as traversing the land border is an international crossing, too.

The geographic entity referred to as the British Isles, i.e. Great Britain, Ireland, the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man, operates a common travel area which allows documentless travel between the various jurisdictions. However, that doesn't absolve an individual from compliance with visa requirements and the authorities reserve the right to mount immigration checks. Indeed, both the British and Irish governments do occasionally do this.

The reality is that if Wayner's mate's g/f didn't get an Irish visa, the chances of her being caught are slim. However, why run the risk, no matter how slight. For the sake of a day's agro at the Irish consulate, she could have peace of mind whilst in Eire. Additionally, if she were caught without an Irish visa, she would be handed over to the UK immigration service and they might then revoke her UK visa and refuse her readmission to the UK.

Scouse.

Not within the Common Travel Area they don't (unless spot checks are being made). However, if, for example, a Thai person secures entry to Ireland and then hotfoots it to the UK without a valid UK visa, their status will be unlawful from the word go.

Scouse.

I would say it is not worth the risk - yes 999 people out of 1,000 don't get checked but why risk it. I would imagine if your friend's girlfriend has been succesful in getting a Uk tourist visa a Republic of Ireland would no doubt be pretty gauranteed! More so because of the common travel area - they know she could just pop down! Why risk a spot check and snooker all chances of her return to the UK in the future (and no doubt most other countries requiring a visa!) - sorry to be a stickler!!

I can understand all the above. It all depends on the girl if she wants to be totally legal for a week or so at the cost of B3-4,000 :D for an Irish visa.

If she were caught in the Republic without a visa, would they really go to town on her, or maybe they would put her on a bus to the border. They are a friendly lot, The Guards!

I think, Wayner, after reading all the above posts, let your mate or his g/friend decide

Anyway, best of luck. Let us know what happened when she comes back!!! :o

My 2 cents. The Irish do check from time to time. Crossing by ferry at least the Irish Immigration guys are there to take a cursory glance at the travel documents (at least when I went through) and flying between UK and Ireland, getting off the plane, I did go though an immigration checkpoint manned my people who usually just wave everyone though from UK originated flights. At the same time, what is to stop them requesting a look at your visa if you appear to be a visa national?

Admittedly though, it is hard to even tell anymore when driving between the north and the south of the country where the border even is anymore, let alone where an immigration check point might be.

I have travelled by ferry from Pembroke to Rosslare many times and never been stopped. But I have seen random cars being pulled over as they left the ferry at Rosslare; whether by Irish customs or immigration I don't know.

As Scouse says, if caught the penalty could include refusal of any future visa to both Ireland and the UK. As she already has a UK visa getting an Irish one as well will be simple, so why take the risk?

The Irish Consulate in Bkk is not capable of granting a visa as it is a subsidiary of the Irish Embassy in KL....

All the paperwork will need to be send from Bkk to KL and then possibly on the Dublin for approval....

Visa application time is typically 6-8 weeks

According to the Irish Consulate's website (www.irelandinthailand.com ), they do issue visas. See an exerpt from their site.

Visa Services

The Consulate of Ireland issues visas to citizens of Thailand, Myanma and Laos who wish to travel to Ireland and other nationals residing in these three countries who require a visa for Ireland.

Maybe, as Colmx stated, they issue them, but must get approval from Dublin? A quick phone call would clarify this.

Hi Big A

I guess we are getting into semantics here!

Whilst the Irish Consulate in Bkk facilitates the issuing of a visa they are unable to actually grant the visa... this is done through the Embassy in KL or The Dept of Justice in Dublin...

Once the visa is granted by one of the above the Irish Consulate in BKK is able to stamp the visa into the applicants passport....