What Next? Do I Apply For Another Tourist Visa And Then A Partner Visa From Aus?

Hi All,

I wanted some advice on what visa/s to apply for next. My boyfriend was here for 3 months on the tourist visa and is now back in Thailand - I just got back to Aus. today :(

I do not have the finances to apply for a partner visa at the moment as I am at university doing my masters and was financially supporting both of us while in Australia together, which has drained my limited funds (I am only 26 and my boyfriend is 22, so we both don't have a lot of assets or resources at our disposal).

I would love to do the partner visa now... However as that is not possible, is it possible, with the new tourist visa to apply for a partner visa while in Aus at a later date?

This would give me a chance to get my self back on my feet here and then perhaps apply for another tourist visa, then from there (once he has been back in aus for a few months, apply for a partner visa).

It is frustrating for me as we both much prefer living here together after living in Thailand for the majority of the time. He has already had several offers for work and is so excited to start a life here!

Also I know the partner visa can take from 6-12 months... What are other people's experiences with this? Are there any women out there who have successfully gone through the process?

Thank you in Advance

The best advice I have to give is ...

• Does your partner qualify for this Visa? See here
  • Partner Visa costs applied for onshore or offshore ... see here
  • How to apply for a Partner Visa ... here
  • If you apply for a 2nd Tourist Visa and you receive 8503 is the ‘No Further Stay’ condition here
  • Some unrequested relationship and Cultural advice ... here

Others will be by soon to add their good advice.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi David,

Thank you for the reply and helpful links. I think I am correct in assuming that if I apply for a tourist visa (subclass 600) and it does not have the "no further stay" condition attached, then I am able to apply for a partner visa "onshore" in Australia.

Would this mean that all the necessary health checks and interviews are completed in Australia?

Once again thank you :)

Hi

Yes everything will be done in Australia for the partner visa.

You might want to have a contingency plan if 8503 condition

(more than likely IMO) is imposed on the next tourist visa.

You should also be aware that if you apply for a partner visa

in Australia, your partner will be placed on a bridging visa and

will be unable to work. If the application takes 9 to 12 months,

that is a long time to support someone on a limited income as

you have previously stated.

Just a few things to think about anyway.

All the best.

Will

Edited by Will27
  • Like 1

On a positive note i have known quite a few thais (both male and female ) when applying for a second tourist visa have been granted a 12 month multi entry, whilst only ticking the 3 month box. From those 12 month multi entry visas i have seen , none have had the 8503 condition.

Hope that helps.

On a positive note i have known quite a few thais (both male and female ) when applying for a second tourist visa have been granted a 12 month multi entry, whilst only ticking the 3 month box. From those 12 month multi entry visas i have seen , none have had the 8503 condition.

Hope that helps.

So it's a balanced conversation ... my gf applied for a single entry 3 month Visa, came and stayed for the 10 days intended.

Manager, International company, Uni Degree, 12 years same company, demonstrated strong ties to Thailand, letter of return employment guaranteed.

A year later applied for a 12 month multi, and was accredited and was given the 'no further stay' condition.

It ain't Kansas out there.

Just saying like ... coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Hope that helps.

So it's a balanced conversation ... my gf applied for a single entry 3 month Visa, came and stayed for the 10 days intended.

Manager, International company, Uni Degree, 12 years same company, demonstrated strong ties to Thailand, letter of return employment guaranteed.

A year later applied for a 12 month multi, and was accredited and was given the 'no further stay' condition.

It ain't Kansas out there.

Just saying like ... coffee1.gif

Yep

As stated previously, it's a bit of a lottery and depends so much on the case officer.

Some will just impose 8503 as a matter of course.

I've seen cases where a bar girl has not been given 8503 on a first visa and a school

teacher been given 8503 on her 3rd visa. So go figure!

Hence my suggestion to have a contingency plan.

Will

Thank you for the replies,

I have heard that some people have found it difficult to obtain tourist visa's for their partners, let alone without the "no further stay" condition imposed. However it's good to hear some people have been granted 12 month multiple entries!

There is definitely a lot for me to consider regarding the financial side of having him in Aus on the tourist visa. Perhaps it is best to be patient and apply for the partner visa "offshore".

Thanks for all the helpful advice!

If I could add to the conversation.

How is a partner visa likely to go down if you are studying and would not be able to support him? I would also presume at 22 your BF is just starting a career and does not have many resources behind him?

if you apply for a partner visa, and that visa is rejected, does it then stand to reason that your next tourist visa might be rejected? Fear of overstay etc.

On the tourist visa situation. My Gf was just granted her 4th Tourist visa. The first 3 were 3 month single entry, no further stay. The most recent was multiple entry 3 month max/12 month visa/ no further stay (8503). Depending on when her last date to arrive is she could get 15 months.

Im not sure of your BFs English language skills, but at 22, he can apply for a 12 month work visa I believe (if under 30 from memory), if certain criteria are met of course. I researched that option a while back. The beauty of that visa is that he can work, legally, and he can stay for 12 months

Edited by BookMan
  • Like 1

Bookman - you refer to the "Working Holiday Visa" - not that I've checked recently, but didn't it use to be only a one way street. In that Australians could get one for Thailand, but not the other way 'round?

To the OP, you mention your partner has been offered jobs in Australia, are these companies prepared to "sponsor" his visa?

How long have you two been together?

Can't help with the rest of the visa application process, as I'm not interested in living in Australia with my wife, and thankfully she's not interested in living in Australia - happy to visit for business trips and holidays but that's it for the next 5 years ;)

Edited by GrantSmith

Posted Today, 00:05

Bookman - you refer to the "Working Holiday Visa" - not that I've checked recently, but didn't it use to be only a one way street. In that Australians could get one for Thailand, but not the other way 'round?
No longer so.
I know of one girl from Chiang Mai currently working on this visa, although i dont know how easy it is to get.

Partner visa is for married couples. I'd suggest get the fiancee 300 visa first. Can take upto 9 months to get. Well that was time frame last year anyway. Reason for this visa is it allows him to work here, get Medicare also. Then it allows you 9 months to get married here in Australia, then go for the partner visa. He won't have to leave Australia again once he gets fiancee visa as the partner visa bridges onto it. This is just an option, it's the path we chose to take.

Also he will back able to work on the bridging visa going from fiancee to partner visa.

Or, re reading your op, just get the 457 visa. Get his prospective employer to sponsor him. They seem to hand them out quite readily and probably would be the quickest way to get him here.

In regards to the work visa, I had a look and he is not eligible as he has no form of higher education after high school.. So unfortunately that's out!

Our relationship started in march last year and we moved in together in May 2012. I left Thailand at the end of November and then he came to Australia in January for the full duration of the 3 month visa (we went back to Thailand 5 days before it expired). So we have been together over a year now, with only a small amount of time apart.

I'm not sure if that entitles us to a partner or "defacto" visa? Otherwise a fiancé visa was mentioned.. I'm not sure I'm ready for that! I would like to finish my studies first and be a bit more settled.

Also with regards to prospective employers sponsoring him... I live in a regional area of Aus, so the jobs I mentioned are with friends and personal contacts who own restaurants and property here and are willing to give him work. Menial labour, nonetheless a start! However I'm not sure they would qualify for sponsoring him??

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! :)

Slightly off this subject but very simulair. I have been ask by a person known to me if I think it is likely that his wife will get another tourist visa to Oz. I have no idea, I suggested to ring the embassy and ask, but..........

She did a 3 month tourist visa, went back to Thailand and got a 6 months tourist visa straightway & used all of that up. Apparently was told when that was issued that their would be a 6 month wait for the next tourist visa and to get a PR for oz. Well, apparently there is a 10-12 month process time, (as expected as far as I am concerned). If she applies for a PR and another tourist visa on the same day soon, is she likely to get the tourist visa while the PR is waiting?

In regards to the work visa, I had a look and he is not eligible as he has no form of higher education after high school.. So unfortunately that's out!

Our relationship started in march last year and we moved in together in May 2012. I left Thailand at the end of November and then he came to Australia in January for the full duration of the 3 month visa (we went back to Thailand 5 days before it expired). So we have been together over a year now, with only a small amount of time apart.

I'm not sure if that entitles us to a partner or "defacto" visa? Otherwise a fiancé visa was mentioned.. I'm not sure I'm ready for that! I would like to finish my studies first and be a bit more settled.

Also with regards to prospective employers sponsoring him... I live in a regional area of Aus, so the jobs I mentioned are with friends and personal contacts who own restaurants and property here and are willing to give him work. Menial labour, nonetheless a start! However I'm not sure they would qualify for sponsoring him??

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions! :)

Just a reminder, working in Australia without the correct visa is illegal. He would be instantly removed from the country, probably never given another visa and you as his sponsor would be in deep trouble. Its not taken lightly. Not worth it. All it takes is 1 person to ring the authorities. I'd suggest ring diac and ask them what visa is best for you guys. Perhaps another tourist visa but for more months. Not sure how partner visa works as defacto sorry, someone here will. Anyhow good luck with it all!

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Aust.girl feel free to join us down in the Ladies forum too, if you have time. Lots of us with Thai hubbies/partners including a few Aussies.

Sorry I can't really comment on your visa situation since my hub got his spouse visa issued before we left Thailand.

Edited by Goinghomesoon
  • Like 1