Thai Teacher Wanted

vp1985

Hello,

My partner and I are looking for a Thai teacher for speaking/conversation and some reading/writing, preferably someone patient and understanding who isn't too 'serious' or strict. We want a few hours each week. We currently have a basic understanding, just need to work on tones, and also listening skills.

If you're interested, or know somebody that is, please reply with a private message.

Thanks

Victoria

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll take a private 1-to-1 Thai language instructor, too,

Male or female, this does not matter.

No need to have a great deal of experience in teaching Thai.

Must be fairly reasonably priced, and near CMU.

I need 6 hours per week, 2 hours per session, for 4 months.

If you can only do 2 hours per week, still OK.

If no prior experience, still OK, but must be a university student in 3rd year or above.

If grad student, then so much the better, perhaps we can also arrange some sort of language exchange.

As those above posters have asked, please PM me, and please be serious about teaching Thai, or assisting with improving basic Thai conversation.

I will hire suitable person immediately if really suitable.

Thank you.

(No need for additional teaching materials, I will provide written and spoken Thai language exercises.)

I'm not a fan of the Walen method

And their private lessons are ridiculously exrpnsive!

The teaching system works very well. Have you actually studied at one of Walen schools? Usually people who do not like transliteration dislike our teaching system. Those who want to learn directly in Thai generally praise it.

Edited by MacWalen

I'm not a fan of the Walen method

And their private lessons are ridiculously exrpnsive!

The teaching system works very well. Have you actually studied at one of Walen schools? Usually people who do not like transliteration dislike our teaching system. Those who want to learn directly in Thai generally praise it.

OK then, what is your price for one hour of 1-to-1 Thai language instruction?

This seems to be the most pertinent question.

Then, if your price is reasonable, the student and the teacher can work together to shape any teaching method by addition and subtraction of teaching materials.

Of course we will need to use Thai characters in learning to read, but if we also choose the most widely adopted method of romanization, then this will be very useful to learn as well, for reading the romanized books and government publications we see in our world in Thailand.

So how much do you charge for a tutor, MacWalen?

Per hour, sir?

All things being equal, its nice to see a individual hired to give a personal touch while learning a language.. This also helps the individual financially more than going thru a company who will take a cut as the middleman..

The International schools are on summer break and have students who would like to earn money, but are not really considered for perment employement due to their status as student. Many are Thai citizen with one parent being a foreigner. They are fluent in Thai and English. You might want to approach your language needs from this angle.

All things being equal, its nice to see a individual hired to give a personal touch while learning a language.. This also helps the individual financially more than going thru a company who will take a cut as the middleman..

The International schools are on summer break and have students who would like to earn money, but are not really considered for perment employement due to their status as student. Many are Thai citizen with one parent being a foreigner. They are fluent in Thai and English. You might want to approach your language needs from this angle.

If these students are enthusiastic about teaching, and if their level of Thai is equivalent to other high school students who are heading for prestigious BKK, CM, or International universities, then obviously yes, their tutoring of Thai language would be most welcome, especially if they were just graduated from high school waiting for their university courses to begin.

My feeling is similar to yours that finding a tutor who is a college student, or even a senior in high school, would be a better way to utilize financial resources for both the learner and the tutor, rather than pay an ongoing fee to a language school, although a modest onetime finders fee might be acceptable.

If the learner already has some experience with learning Thai, or maybe is learning Thai as L3, and has prior years of college experience with acquiring L2, then it is best not to have a teacher too set in his/her teaching ways, Most learners already have quite a bit of prior language learning experience during high school or college. They know what they need to do to learn a language, and their only additional requirement is an enthusiastic smart "tutor" with some or no experience to progress through the many well designed courses already available from Amazon or free on the internet, free Open Courseware already available to be downloaded from major U.S universities such as Yale, MIT, whatever. Northern University Illinois, U. of Hawaii. If two smart people working together, a learner and a smart college student, cannot make very fast progress following the information freely available on the internet, then only probably god can help them.

We see this same dynamic in home schooling both in Thailand and the U.S., as well as other places where expats choose to teach their kids. Very good and fast progress can be made even without a school affiliated instructor. The same goes for language acquisition. Give me a motivated Physics grad student, or Maths or Engineering student, and if they would deign to work with me to help me learn Thai, then I would be happy as a clam, a happy clam.

I really wish we could get more feedback from interested non-professional tutors here on this thread, but it will not be surprising if we do not. How many local college students read TV? Not many we can imagine.

A qualified Thai language teacher (BA, MA) here in Chiang Mai will only ask for 250 baht per hour, very, very reasonable I think

How much do you guys think a student or non qualified tutor is worth to you? 100-150 baht per hour maybe

personally, I am looking for a qualified teacher with experience in teaching the Thai language one on one, in addition to this I am looking

for someone who has good English language skills as I require tutoring in specific areas of the Thai language

by the way, walen charge 22500 baht for 30 x 50 minute for private Thai lessons, that's 750 baht per 50 minute lesson!

• Like 1

A qualified Thai language teacher (BA, MA) here in Chiang Mai will only ask for 250 baht per hour, very, very reasonable I think

How much do you guys think a student or non qualified tutor is worth to you? 100-150 baht per hour maybe

personally, I am looking for a qualified teacher with experience in teaching the Thai language one on one, in addition to this I am looking

for someone who has good English language skills as I require tutoring in specific areas of the Thai language

by the way, walen charge 22500 baht for 30 x 50 minute for private Thai lessons, that's 750 baht per 50 minute lesson!

1. Thank you for the info. But are you mistaken? 750 per hour seems incredibly high for Thai language lessons, without magic combined.

If we look at pay scale for other jobs in Thailand, it seems sky high. Other qualified Thai tutors with much experience charge no more than 300.

It seems high for the US market, too.

2. 250 Baht per hour for an experienced Thai teacher with BA, Me.d seems appropriate for the Thailand Market. But I do not need what I consider to be overkill. What I am seeking is a college student, maybe a grad student, (any major, any degree program) who will work with me for a reasonable rate. I have all Thai language materials required. I already know how I need to approach language study. I already am fairly fluent in L2, and now Thai will be L3 for me. Probably I will need 6 hours per week for 5 months on a very flexible schedule. I must start soon. Tutorial location is very near CMU.

3. Final question for you regarding tutor fair pay: Do you honestly believe 100 Baht per hour is fair to offer for a CMU student/grad student making extra money tutoring Thai during free time?

--- What would they get paid for other jobs they are qualified to do?

--- If at 100 Baht per hour, then I might consider 8 hours per week with either 1 or 2 tutors.

--- Normally a starting accountant/office girl at a trading company makes no more than 80 Baht per hour for some extremely busy tough work, 6 days per week. Compared to this, maybe unexperienced Thai language as a student during free time is a piece of cake. (Also a chance maybe to practice a bit of English)

Please PM me if you know of a CMU student who might be interested.

*** But someone please check out the true going pay ate for a CMU student doing part time work. We know there must be many students who do part time work, and the hourly pay should be about the same. Any CMU student that works in a coffee shop, for example, is also fully qualified to teach the likes of me.

Please PM me if anyone knows an interested CMU student, willing to teach Thai. Tks.

1. Thank you for the info. But are you mistaken? 750 per hour seems incredibly high for Thai language lessons, without magic combined.

If we look at pay scale for other jobs in Thailand, it seems sky high. Other qualified Thai tutors with much experience charge no more than 300.

2. 250 Baht per hour for an experienced Thai teacher with BA, Me.d seems appropriate for the Thailand Market. But I do not need what I consider to be overkill. What I am seeking is a college student, maybe a grad student, (any major, any degree program) who will work with me for a reasonable rate. I have all Thai language materials required. I already know how I need to approach language study. I already am fairly fluent in L2, and now Thai will be L3 for me. Probably I will need 6 hours per week for 5 months on a very flexible schedule. I must start soon. Tutorial location is very near CMU.

3. Final question for you regarding tutor fair pay: Do you honestly believe 100 Baht per hour is fair to offer for a CMU student/grad student making extra money tutoring Thai during free time?

--- If at 100 Baht per hour, then I might consider 8 hours per week with either 1 or 2 tutors.

--- Normally a starting accountant/office girl at a trading company makes no more than 80 Baht per hour for some extremely busy tough work, 6 days per week. Compared to this, maybe unexperienced Thai language as a student during free time is a piece of cake. (Also a chance maybe to practice a bit of English)

*** But someone please check out the true going pay ate for a CMU student doing part time work. We know there must be many students who do part time work, and the hourly pay should be about the same. Any CMU student that works in a coffee shop, for example, is also fully qualified to teach the likes of me.

Please PM me if anyone knows an interested CMU student, willing to teach Thai. Tks.

No, I'm not mistaken, 22500 baht for 30 x 50 minute for private Thai lessons, that's 750 baht per 50 minute lesson, check their website...

and if you think that's expensive check out how much they charge for private English lessons... it's even more!

I know of students working in coffee shops that only earn 30 - 40 baht per hour, so I think 100-150 baht to be very fair

• Like 1

No, I'm not mistaken, 22500 baht for 30 x 50 minute for private Thai lessons, that's 750 baht per 50 minute lesson, check their website...

and if you think that's expensive check out how much they charge for private English lessons... it's even more!

I know of students working in coffee shops that only earn 30 - 40 baht per hour, so I think 100-150 baht to be very fair

Thank you for your point of view.

I agree with you. Completely.

Accurate information and I will then offer between 100 and 125, depending.

FYI: When I had my first language tutor, not Thai, I paid equivalent to 20 Baht per hour for a law grad to tutor me, and he did a first rate job, better than some Thai instruction I have heard of, perhaps.

So 100 Baht per hour it really should be.

Fair for the learner, and fair for the college student tutor.

Win-win, and no one gets gouged.