Judicial Process

Paangjang

I don't want to go into too much detail on here, I’m just trying to learn more
about the Thai justice system.

Myself and my girlfriend were victims of quite a serious crime late last year. I must
say that overall i was quite impressed with the way the Police investigated and
arrested the suspect.

The suspect has been charged and was denied bail. He's been detained in the holding
cells below the provincial court. A few weeks ago we called the court for an
update. This is where things start getting confusing. They said he had already
appeared before a judge 6 times but normally nothing is done until between the
8th and 10th appearance. This is normally when the police file their
complaints. For the crime he is charged with the police say he can expect prison
for around 7-10 years.

Does anybody know anything about these multiple appearances? They said it could be up
to a year before we are called to give evidence. How many times will he go
before the courts and how long do these kinds of trials take?

Edited by Paangjang

You could probably pay to help hurry things along. . .

Wish there were another word for it here other than "justice system".

Not too worried about hurrying it along realy. I'd just like to understand what the process is. The court don't really want to talk too much. Wondered if anybody knew or new of a website i could check. Google doesn't come up with much

84 days in total, suspect will appear in court every 12 days, max is 7 times, then they have to officially charge him and set a date to start court proceedings, this can take many months before the case actually starts.

• Like 2

84 days in total, suspect will appear in court every 12 days, max is 7 times, then they have to officially charge him and set a date to start court proceedings, this can take many months before the case actually starts.

Thankyou very much, although i think they said he has already appeared more than 7 times. Could this be true? Thanks for your info, this is exactly what i was looking for.

Well as far as I know it is max 84 days, then the prosecutor brings his case in front of the judge and suspects pleads guilty or not guilty, normally during htat hearing a date is set for the case to go to court.

• Like 1

Well as far as I know it is max 84 days, then the prosecutor brings his case in front of the judge and suspects pleads guilty or not guilty, normally during htat hearing a date is set for the case to go to court.

Thanks, i'll count the days back and figure it out. Cheers

exactly, and the lenght of the court proceedings are depending as well on if the suspect pled guilty or not.

exactly, and the lenght of the court proceedings are depending as well on if the suspect pled guilty or not.

Our man is adamant he is not guilty, even though we have the whole incident on CCTV. Him riding to the scene, committing the crime, then riding off. Several facial shots on camera....