Aunt Sold Girl, 17, For Sex Work In South Korea: Thai Police

webfact

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Thai police can do something about forced prostitution overseas but almost nothing locally? Does this mean more Thai girls should go to Korea, post a facebook plea and then the Thai police can help them? Just wondering...

A couple of years ago, on one if my bike trips here in the north, I stopped at a small village off the main roads to get something to eat at a little mom & pop roadside restaurant. I'm driving nice bike, expensive helmet, upper body protective gear, jacket, and the old man is checking me out. He comes over to table and sits down across from me, all smiles, asks if I can speak Thai. Told him "nid noi". He calls out for someone, and this kid of about 15-16 shows up, smiling, saying he can speak English. The normal questions of where I'm from, am I tourist or do I live here, where do I live, am I married and so on. Ok, that's fine.

Then he calls his daughter over. Cute as hell with sweet, shy smile. He asks me if I like her. I try to be polite and tell him she is a very pretty girl. He then asks: "You want?" Not sure of where this was going, I replied: "Pom mai kaow jai" (I don't understand). He spoke quickly to the boy, who then told me that for 50,000 baht, I could buy the girl (his younger sister) and take her home with me to keep, saying she was only 14 and still virgin.

Fighting back the urge to beat this man to death, I forced myself to smile and told him that I had a Thai wife, and that she would be very upset if I did that, and would probably kill me, or cut off a very important part of me. I stood up, paid for my food, got on the bike and rode away from there as fast as I could. When I got home and told my wife, she just shrugged and told me: "Not unusual. Happens all the time."

The usual Thai apologists will say that you did not understand that thing about giving 50,000 Baht in exchange for taking the 14 year old virgin girl home to keep. Remember: Farang cannot understand Thainess....thumbsup.gif

Edited by pisico

Do not be shocked that Human Trafficking...especially of Thais and Filipinos exists. It is not uncommon for young girls to be approached by agencies promising respectable work overseas, and then seizing passports and requiring payment for travel/housing/food etc. The shame/cover up is all a big part of the scene, and oftentimes these girls will deny what happened to them at their well paying overseas jobs. While stationed in Japan during the 70's and 80's, I saw a large influx of young girls being hired as "Cultural Dancers and Singers", but the bottom line was always the seizure of passports, locking of the gates and bar working. Later on in life, if the girls decide to continue this existence, they become recruiters themselves. Yes, some do choose to stay in that life, own property, cars, etc.....and theyi become dubious examples of how to attain status quickly.... why does it shock anyone to hear of this?

A couple of years ago, on one if my bike trips here in the north, I stopped at a small village off the main roads to get something to eat at a little mom & pop roadside restaurant. I'm driving nice bike, expensive helmet, upper body protective gear, jacket, and the old man is checking me out. He comes over to table and sits down across from me, all smiles, asks if I can speak Thai. Told him "nid noi". He calls out for someone, and this kid of about 15-16 shows up, smiling, saying he can speak English. The normal questions of where I'm from, am I tourist or do I live here, where do I live, am I married and so on. Ok, that's fine.

Then he calls his daughter over. Cute as hell with sweet, shy smile. He asks me if I like her. I try to be polite and tell him she is a very pretty girl. He then asks: "You want?" Not sure of where this was going, I replied: "Pom mai kaow jai" (I don't understand). He spoke quickly to the boy, who then told me that for 50,000 baht, I could buy the girl (his younger sister) and take her home with me to keep, saying she was only 14 and still virgin.

Fighting back the urge to beat this man to death, I forced myself to smile and told him that I had a Thai wife, and that she would be very upset if I did that, and would probably kill me, or cut off a very important part of me. I stood up, paid for my food, got on the bike and rode away from there as fast as I could. When I got home and told my wife, she just shrugged and told me: "Not unusual. Happens all the time."

I live in a small, impoverished Isaan village and the elderly lady who lives opposite my home, was telling my wife that she intends finding a husband for her pretty 13 year old grand daughter this year, because she wants company in her final years and doesnt want the indignity of her grand daughter getting pregnant out of wedlock before she leaves school! . . . I wish I could say it is unbelievable, but nothing is unbelievable here anymore.

Someone tried to sell us a flower selling young girl in Brazil years ago. Didn't end too well for him, the shame is that you can't protect all children. Sad that people will sell people, even worse that people will pay for them.

In Buddhist Thailand, family is the most important thing. That is unless you can make a baht or two by pimping them out! whistling.gif

Pimping them out may be considered an important thing, so important that in any number of Pattaya and Phuket bars there are a lot of willing victims.

One wonders why there is no mention of what happened to the Korean brothel owners. No doubt they have a cosy relationship with their local constabulary, and after all it is only a few Thais.

Talking of massive injustices ! seems like you have already judged the Korean police as corrupt. Do you have any facts to back up your allegation or are you just another armchair critic talking out of the bottom cushion ?

Edited by wiyada
  • Like 1

Reading the other posts I'm not the only one who sees this happening, so not that nonsense.

To answer your question in rich or middle class families marriages are arranged and the sinsod is often used to invest in a house or so for the couple or returned. For many girls, certainly from the middle class families where the arranging is not working so easy it's difficult to find a partner that both families agree on and I see many of them still looking for a suitable partner at 30+ or hiding their relations for the family.

In Buddhist Thailand, family is the most important thing. That is unless you can make a baht or two by pimping them out! whistling.gif

What a ridiculous comment. So you're implying that this is normal behavior, Thai families all pimping out their kids? This story was on Thai news this morning. Everyone discussing this story made it clear how disgusting and evil it was, an older aunt luring her young, trusting niece to Korea under false pretense. Only you in your sick mind would consider this normal.

Perhaps the word "normal" was used inappropriatley by soi 41 and the perhaps word "rampant" should have been used instead.

Using siblings sold into the sex industry, sometime voluntary and some time by coercion is a common practice in many areas of this country

Perhaps another coffee in Starbucks and removal of your rose tinted glasses would give you a realistic opinion on this subject.

The word "normal" implies accepted practise or standard and there are many of the lower income Thai familys who feel it is acceptable to sell or send their siblings for service in the sex industry. That is the sickness and not soi 41 post/.

• Like 2

i fail to understand people that say it doesnt happen all the time,maybe, does anyone know, bet its a hell of a lot, though,,still doesnt make it right,does it,,,maybe because these awful people can get away with it,that its so prolific,,i doubt they were all volunteers,,,,,,

Edited by winstonc

Why is this forum so negative, 7 girls rescued but instead of praising the fact most choose to rip to pieces Thais and the police.

Please go back home and whine to those who hopefully will slap you for being such a negative miserable old fart.

Moaners say the apologists says its your lack of understanding of Thai-ness, how should we apologise for your total negativity, 'its just Western arrogance', you Thai's wouldn't understand it !

Funnily enough most people around the world would not understand someone choosing to live in a country but constantly complaining about it.

OK, for everyone's information, DENIAL is not a river in Africa. To deny facts is to be in DENIAL. To see and/or speak of facts is not to be negative.

Why make a comment ad hominem? It denotes prejudice on your part. Why insult or slander those who do not agree with your views and/or opinions? Why call others yo do not know "old farts?"

Your views are a reflection of your mental environment and/or personal morals. Lastly, FUNNILY is not a real English word. Sorry for pointing a fact!

Call me a sceptic but how many girls who work in pattaya as a 'travel agent' then go off ot korea singapore etc etc

to work as a 'massage therapist' ?,How many 17 yr old girls know high ranking police officiers? Noone forced her on that plane if this was forcible then how about telling immigration of your predicament before leaving?Im not saying this isnt true but ive seen otherwise many time b4

What a ridiculous comment. So you're implying that this is normal behavior, Thai families all pimping out their kids? This story was on Thai news this morning. Everyone discussing this story made it clear how disgusting and evil it was, an older aunt luring her young, trusting niece to Korea under false pretense. Only you in your sick mind would consider this normal.

It sounds like you're still living in the delusional world of the 'Land of Smiles' that they sell to tourists. Of course poor families selling their daughters into the sex industry is common. The fact that the media for some reason has picked up this story doesn't mean it's not common. It just shows the morality of the media is not much higher than the morality of the pimps, police and everyone else who profits from or turns a blind eye to this trade.

I always found it hard to believe this crap actually occurs. Sorry to see I was mistaken. sad.png

This was a common thing in the not so far distant past. Many girls where tricked by the Japanese, Also the Girls parents where complicit in selling them ,

Prostitution has little significance in Thailand , it is seen as much the same as any other job , without any stigma .

You can earn lots of money to send home to the family , so Mum and Dad are happy .

After a few years you may have enough money to return to your rural village and build yourself a house .

Every village around here has a short time sex hotel . I'm told that schoolgirls provide the sevice for as little as 300bt .

Prostitution has little significance in Thailand , it is seen as much the same as any other job , without any stigma .

You can earn lots of money to send home to the family , so Mum and Dad are happy .

After a few years you may have enough money to return to your rural village and build yourself a house .

Every village around here has a short time sex hotel . I'm told that schoolgirls provide the sevice for as little as 300bt .

But they are not educated about the down side, STD, Aids, Some Thai girls think by showering after sex they cannot get Aids.

A timely story for me. I just talked to my girlfriend today , who said her cousin is in the same situation in Korea. She went there for a massage job that was supposed to be on the level. Now she is in essence locked in her room by the mafia, and cannot go outside. Her passport of course has been taken away. Like the girls in this story, the cousin was able to communicate with my girlfriend on facebook using her mobile phone. The cousin is not being forced to have sex, so is starting to look sort of like a really bad job. But am sure it is illegal to take away a person's passport in Korea. Anyway will be keeping a close eye on this situation.....

A timely story for me. I just talked to my girlfriend today , who said her cousin is in the same situation in Korea. She went there for a massage job that was supposed to be on the level. Now she is in essence locked in her room by the mafia, and cannot go outside. Her passport of course has been taken away. Like the girls in this story, the cousin was able to communicate with my girlfriend on facebook using her mobile phone. The cousin is not being forced to have sex, so is starting to look sort of like a really bad job. But am sure it is illegal to take away a person's passport in Korea. Anyway will be keeping a close eye on this situation.....

Sounds like you're being buttered up for a scam. Is anyone really stupid enough to go for a "massage job" in Korea without realising what that entails?

Excuse my prose but I cannot paint a pretty picture about this xxxx.

This kind of "thing" happens throughout Southeast Asia so often.

Parent's do it, relatives do it, family friends do it...all in the name of

money. The poor girl has no idea what she's getting into save for the

glossy images auntie's and uncle's show/paint for her. She's just a

commodity...same as rice and pork bellies to those xxxxx who only

have Baht/Dollar/Euro signs as their guiding light(s). Interpol has

been aware of these bastards who perpetrate this crap for years

however most of the duty concerning apprehension falls upon local

law enforcement agencies who are known to be corrupt. In this case,

press wise, good on the BIB...let's see the results in the future on

this case and hopefully the many others which have never made the

"news".

Edited by metisdead

Not much of an Aunt. Not much of a person really.

This story is quite different to that reported on yesterday's IN Channel 07.00 talk show which made the victim seem quite gullible and stupid. No mention was made of her aunt just she had received a message offering the job and lo and behold there she was in Seoul, nothing said about how she got there, who offered her the job, where the travel expenses etc. came from.

As I listened I thought " what a dummy " but now the story is more understandable and I'm afraid IN channel slipped up badly and if this current version is completely accurate they did this girl a massive injustice.

Well, well IN Channel are now covering the story again and using the most recent version naming the aunt as recruiter. Pity they hadn't done their research properly yesterday.

Probably owned by the same people who The Nation.

Apparently she arrived there by Buffalo,which is now sick as it's a long way and needs immediate medical attention!whistling.gif