Device That Charges Cell Phone Battery In Under 30 Seconds

Maestro

Eesha Khare, 18-Year-Old, Invents Device That Charges Cell Phone Battery In Under 30 Seconds
The Huffington Post | By Krystie Yandoli
Posted: 05/20/2013 5:36 pm EDT

Eesha Khare, an 18-year-old student at Lynbrook High School in California, made a technological discovery that has the potential to change the future of how you use your cell phone.

According to CBS San Francisco, the student triumphed over 1,600 other finalists from more than 70 countries on May 17 at the 2013 Intel International Science and Engineering Fair held in Phoenix, Ariz. Her groundbreaking invention? A device that can charge a cell phone between 20 and 30 seconds.

Eesha explained to Intel that this supercapacitor acts as an energy storage device that holds a great amount energy in a small amount of space. Not only is the device convenient because it's speedy, but NBC reports the device is also portable because of its small size. Eesha says it can fit inside of cell phones and other electronic devices, meaning people will not need to rely on electric outlets as often.

Read more (with video): http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/20/eesha-khare-18yearold-inv_n_3307519.html

Continuation of headline:

...and blows up the phone in 35 seconds. biggrin.png

Actually this would be a great solution.

Here are the other award winners, noting the top prize went to:

Ionut Alexandru Budisteanu, 19, Liceul Tehnologic Oltchim, Ramnicu Valcea, Romania
Using Artificial Intelligence to Create a Low Cost Self-driving Car

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.societyforscience.org%2Fdocument.doc%3Fid%3D494

• Like 1

Not sure what specific innovation he has. Supercaps aka ultracaps have been around for a long time already. Normally measured in Farads. I have a LED flashlight, uses no batteries and is hand pumped to charge a super cap. Sometimes I don't use it for a few months and it still has charge to run the LED for quite a long time. Supercaps

Not sure what specific innovation he has.

Design and Synthesis of Hydrogenated TiO2-Polyaniline Nanorods for Flexible High-Performance Supercapacitors
Eesha Khare, 18, Lynbrook High School, San Jose, California
I believe Ms. Khare is a "she".

There is also report that this device indeed charges car batteries with same speed.

If this is the case than, HYBRID or ELECTRIC cars will lead in the future, I suppose. (Potential threat to gas companies... LOL)

yup ...girl and indian

... a girl and an American. California is in the US, whatever her family heritage may be.

So you are a Thai ? Assuming you are resident in Thailand that is.

• Like 2

yup ...girl and indian

... a girl and an American. California is in the US, whatever her family heritage may be.
In America we do not care where you are from we are all farang with equal rights stemming from all points of the planet but able to do simple things like pay for same entrance fees at parks, if a legal immigrant, buy property, businesses, go to school, invent things, work without fear of being arrested, deported, harassed etc. We have many Thais here that only go home to visit. Edited by rbrooks
  • Like 1

My take on this is that she has designed a storage device, not a charging device. I think the writer is confused, I believe the supercap is able to be charged in 30 seconds and then used as a power source, not as a charger.

Even assuming it is a charging device, which I doubt, attempting to charge a lithium ion battery in 30 seconds is potentially dangerous and would probably damage the battery.

• Like 1

A nonsense criticizing the use of terminology has been removed. There is an international community here, different terminologies meaning the same things are used by people from different countries, accept the terminology and not be critical of other nationalities usage of terminology meaning the same things. blink.png

• Like 2

It would be nice to have some kind of breakthrough.I 'be seen some wild technology in my life.I'mwaiting now to see 3-D printers making things out of metal,not just plastic.

I watched a docu somewhere about a 3D printer for metal but the results did,nt look very impressive.

A somewhat sensationalist headline that leaves out some key details.

In the video, she says that after charging for 20 seconds, it could light an LED.

So, it may be a while before a 30 second charge can power your phone all day...

Continuation of headline:

...and blows up the phone in 35 seconds. biggrin.png

Actually this would be a great solution.

Here are the other award winners, noting the top prize went to:

Ionut Alexandru Budisteanu, 19, Liceul Tehnologic Oltchim, Ramnicu Valcea, Romania
Using Artificial Intelligence to Create a Low Cost Self-driving Car

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.societyforscience.org%2Fdocument.doc%3Fid%3D494

lol, :D

yup ...girl and indian

In America we do not care where you are from we are all farang with equal rights stemming from all points of the planet but able to do simple things like pay for same entrance fees at parks, if a legal immigrant, buy property, businesses, go to school, invent things, work without fear of being arrested, deported, harassed etc. We have many Thais here that only go home to visit.

As an American this is always a tough issue, for one, big dif between residence and citizenship.. For 2, we are basically all from somewhere else except maybe the Indian. My family being from Italy yet my being born in America makes even me wonder what I am.. When I'm in America they call me Italian and when I'm in Italy, they call me American.. yet when I'm in Thailand and I tell someone I'm American they say, "You don't look American".. If i tell the I'm Italiano, often they'll start speaking Italian to me and I reply I don't speak Italian and they laugh.. so who are we? Many (especially Asians) seem to be insulted if you ask them what Nationality they are, while in America, if they are citizens. It is rarely differentiated in common communication or referred to as "what is your ancestry"... most just say, "what Nationality are you" and it can surely have 2 different meanings.. :)

yup ...girl and indian

Not relevant and I'm not assuming anything.

She's not a "resident" of the US, she's a citizen. That makes her an American.

And yes I am a resident of Thailand, not a citizen.

Indian American teen Eesha Khare invents wondrous 20-sec charger, Google eyes

bid

An 18-year-old Indian-American girl has invented a super-capacitor device

that could potentially charge your cellphone in less than 20 seconds.

Eesha Khare, from Saratoga, California, was awarded the Young Scientist Award

by the Intel Foundation after developing the tiny device that fits inside mobile

phone batteries, that could allow them to charge within 20-30 seconds.

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/indian-american-teen-eesha-khare-invents-wondrous-20sec-charger-google-eyes-bid/1118420/

They didn't say it fully charged a cell phone battery in 30 seconds.

It charged it enough to light an LED.

It might not be charging at a super fast rate.

So, at this point in time, to charge a whole cell phone battery for a current smart phone would take longer than 30 seconds.

Edited by Riggi

They didn't say it fully charged a cell phone battery in 30 seconds.

It charged it enough to light an LED.

It might not be charging at a super fast rate.

So, at this point in time, to charge a whole cell phone battery for a current smart phone would take longer than 30 seconds.

I don't think it charges any battery at all. The 'device' invented is a kind of super capacitor that replaces the conventional battery.

• 2 weeks later...

For 2, we are basically all from somewhere else except maybe the Indian.

You wouldn't be speaking about the native people of what is now referred to as North America, would you? Example being the Lakota, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Apache, Seminole, etc.

Columbus had an excuse.

• 3 weeks later...

For 2, we are basically all from somewhere else except maybe the Indian.

You wouldn't be speaking about the native people of what is now referred to as North America, would you? Example being the Lakota, Cherokee, Cheyenne, Apache, Seminole, etc.

Columbus had an excuse.

of course that is whom i speak of..