Bike Transport In Chiang Mai

AndyHenry

Hi

I hope this is in the right section as I'm seeking the advice of Chiang Mai / Chiang Rai cyclists.

A friend and I were considering a small overnighter ride from Chiang Rai to Mae Sai as my visa run is imminent, but are unable to find a way of getting from Chiang Mai where we are based, to Chiang Rai.

I should explain this was more for the adventure factor than anything else, and enquiries with the Green Bus people at CM bus station were met with a resounding no, I'm aware there is no train service and whilst there is the option to simply rent a vehicle for the first leg it sort of defeats the object. As my friend rides a fixie the first leg is probably not practical on two wheels either from what I can gather of the terrain!

As I have seen numerous locals transporting half their lives around on public transport, I assume there must be a simple solution, perhaps a songthaew part of the way that joins up with other local transport?

I was hoping that a TV member had either made this trip or noticed a solution while out cycling around! Otherwise it looks a rather bland affair.

Thanks in advance.

I would check with another bus as I've never had a problem transporting my bike on a bus here in Thailand. The only exception to that was when the bus was powered by natural gas and limited luggage space due to the gas tanks. I've even taken my bike inside the bus on occasion.

I've had my bike on the Green Bus into or out of CM at least 20 times without a problem, most recently in March of this year. If the luggage bays are full, be prepared to take both wheels off. They've never asked, but I've taken pedals off too, especially if it's more than just me with a bike. It costs 50 baht per bike, payable only when you board, not in advance.

Thank you very much for your prompt responses.

I had a feeling the info I got at the bus station was incorrect, but TIT and I guess until my Thai improves dramatically I will get the brush off to avoid loss of face when I am unclear.

I'm taking a ride out to Lamphun tomorrow so will nip past and try asking again :-) El Jefe - would you mind confirming you arrived with your bike complete (rather than boxed or bagged) and they accepted it? I only require a spanner and allen key to "knock down" my MTB but would prefer not to if I understood you correctly!

Thanks again guys :-)