Commerce Ministry Looking For New Markets For Thai Rice In Govt's Stock

webfact

Commerce Ministry looking for new markets for Thai rice in govt's stock

BANGKOK, 24 May 2013 (NNT)-The Commerce Ministry is considering a quick approach to selling the rice in the government's stock after the baht continues to rise.

According to Permanent Secretary to the Ministry of Commerce Watcharee Vimooktayon, as the currency surge shows no sign of abating, the Ministry will be looking for new buyers overseas in an effort to relieve the amount of rice in the government's stock.

Mrs. Watcharee said the stronger baht has made it difficult to maintain the amount of rice expected to be sold to another foreign government under the G2G scheme. The Ministry of Commerce is now aiming at selling a larger volume of rice as it would be more strategically reasonable to buyers.

More attractive proposals will be adopted to attract new buyers to buy Thai rice. Among several countries interested in Thai rice at present, said the Permanent Secretary, are those in Africa.

The Department of International Trade Promotion is also urging foreign governments that have entered into the G-2-G agreements with Thailand to quickly follow through with their purchase. The amount of rice to be sold under the latest deal is estimated to be around 7.3 million tons.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-05-24 footer_n.gif

Which countries buy Thai rice ? And how about the yanks wanting to dump their pork here, even though it is exposed to dangerous chemicals banned by the EU. Surely the govt can get some kin of a deal through this.

Do Thai government ministries and departments have special staff whose job it is to come up with the most ridiculous, pompous language possible to make their representatives sound important and give the impression they are actually doing something positive. I don't know how it sounds in Thai but in English it makes them sound even more stupid than usual.

The type of language being used here was banned from the wartime civil service by Winston Churchill who was so annoyed by a briefing paper that he wrote a marginal note " this is the type of English up with which I will not put. "

• Like 2

According to Permanent Secretary to the Ministry of Commerce Watcharee Vimooktayon, as the currency surge shows no sign of abating, the Ministry will be looking for new buyers overseas in an effort to relieve the amount of rice in the government's stock.

famous-life-inspirational-best-great-quo

• Like 2

Capt. Jack would have made a great civil servant, anywhere.

That whole article skirted around the issue without actually coming out and saying it -

As the BOT are going to do nothing to curb the rising baht because too many are making a fortune we need to dump as much of the stored rice as possible at rock bottom prices otherwise we're going to be left with millions of tonnes of worthless rotten rice

I think that about sums it up

• Like 2

Its to bad, but Thailand had so many loyal customers/markets that bought their rice every year, and at a premium. Now those are all gone to other suppliers/countries that can still subsidize the farmer and still stay competitive offering the same product.

Yingluck, her brother and the whole Red Motley (criminal) crew have totally screwed the pootch on this scam.

The Shinawatra tribe and their compadres must be so proud to have added so much more personal wealth, on the backs of the poor farmers, they claim to want to help.

When will Thai people wake up?

Watch the Joker in Batman. You got the guy.

I will make you all rich. 555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555. Forgot the 6, for rich in 6 months.

Suckers, I got enuf to buy the country, especially when my slaves kill the baht

Cheers gang, now go home and starve while I buy meself and me family your land.

Edited by Soi Sauce
  • Like 1

When will Thai people wake up?

Watch the Joker in Batman. You got the guy.

I will make you all rich. 555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555. Forgot the 6, for rich in 6 months.

Suckers, I got enuf to buy the country, especially when my slaves kill the baht

Cheers gang, now go home and starve while I buy meself and me family your land.

gonna like this before the mods take it away

What is it about this crap over the ever rising Thai Baht? It had been steadily declining for the past month, now at the level of 3 months ago... Just a pisspoor excuse to dump the rice cheap, and blame it on the BOT.

post-90962-0-63706500-1369420496_thumb.j

Capt. Jack would have made a great civil servant, anywhere.

I agree "Take What You Can, Give Nothing Back" biggrin.png

That whole article skirted around the issue without actually coming out and saying it -

As the BOT are going to do nothing to curb the rising baht because too many are making a fortune we need to dump as much of the stored rice as possible at rock bottom prices otherwise we're going to be left with millions of tonnes of worthless rotten rice

The baht value is not the issue

It's not all of it but it is part of it.

It's not all of it but it is part of it.

It is just the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

"Mrs. Watcharee said the stronger baht has made it difficult to maintain the amount of rice expected to be sold to another foreign government under the G2G scheme. The Ministry of Commerce is now aiming at selling a larger volume of rice as it would be more strategically reasonable to buyers."

Does this mean instead of just a bit in G2G deals (like the 20,000 tonnes in 5kg packages to China) we now aim to sell much, much more to buyers who are agreeing with our strategy of selling more?

"The Department of International Trade Promotion is also urging foreign governments that have entered into the G-2-G agreements with Thailand to quickly follow through with their purchase. The amount of rice to be sold under the latest deal is estimated to be around 7.3 million tons."

Does the 7.3 million tonnes on G2G deals include the amazing amount China said to sure buy one of these days at appropriate times?

BTW the 500 billion Baht revolving fund is empty and this year about 200 billion more needs to be borrowed to pay for rice pledged. Of course, no loss there, the government has just transformed Baht into rice and can revolve back any time they feel like it rolleyes.gif