How To Buy A Scooter?

RaysFan

Hi,

I am moving to Thailand soon, I will be a visa runner kind of guy for a year or so probably... That being said...

I would like to buy a new PCX 150. Can I do this?

Do I need any sort of drivers license?

I would just like someone to walk me through this so I have a heads up... I would like to make a purchase ASAP upon moving in a couple of weeks. Thanks.

Im from America... people dont ride scooters... lol, so I really dont know...

I would appreciate real answers, if you dont know, please just dont respond.

If I do need a license, can I get one without a WP? I will be a visa runner kind of guy...

Being from the USA get yourself an International Drivers License before coming here, they are cheap, if I recall 50 dollars for a 5 year. Doesn't matter that there are no scooters in the USA, you still have to have a motorcycle license even here.

Only way you will be able to purchase a motorbike here on a tourist visa, at least in Pattaya is if you have a 90 days tourist visa. If not they won't let you purchase one because you are a tourist and they don't see why you would need to purchase any vehicle when you could short term rent which by the way I suggest you do anyway the first few months your here because you don't even know how to stay here a year yet renewing your visa on 90/15/90 runs nor how much it cost nor who to even pay smile.png...

You sort out your Visa issues first so that you can stay here legally with no problems, suggest you worry about a new shiny set of wheels later. Getting around Pattaya is no issue and there are plenty of choices to rent in the motorbike spectrum and it's cheap given it's low season.

Edited by commande
  • Like 2

No problem driving scooters without license, sometimes the police will stop and you have to pay the usual 100Baht tip. I just tell the police straight up that I dont have license, and they know that tourists can't easily get driving licenses. so, the 100baht tip sufices.

For a real Thai license you need a proper visa to get a license, except in some tourist cities, like pattaya or Samui, you might be able to get it Tourist visa. but not bangkok that I know of... Or, you can make an international license if you already have one in your country.

I really recommend getting one.

Just like "Commande" said, to make things very easy for you, get your license before coming to Thailand, then it will be easy to get an international one. But I've heard that getting a real Thai driving license is much more beneficial in cases of accident or any issues.

Honda PCX 150 is a good bike, but personally I don't like it because for shopping you cannot hang too many bags on it. it's got the nicest seat if you plan to ride around with your partner.

A more useful and space wise bike is the Honda Click 125, or the new SH150i. Both have lots of space to hang bag, and also put the helmet inside the seat.

The SH150i is the best I would recommend, the only scooter with Disk brake on both wheels, double back suspension, lots of space just like the Click and best of all, it's got a powerful automatic engine of 144cc.

Good luck!

edit: you can buy used bikes with tourist visa, altho it depends on the place... in Bangkok I had no problems.

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 1

Here is my experience from buying a scooter .

Bought a new yamaha from the dealer. All I had was a tourist visa, have a US passport. Paid the baht , did a little paperwork, and got a red license plate. Was told red plate was temp until I got a regular plate.

After many check points, with the red plate , have had no issues. I do have a international driving license, and carry 3rd party insurance.

Of course, I live on Koh Chang Island , only there 2 to 3 months a year. Sure that has something to do with it .

I also had the International Drivers License that you get in any AAA office in the states. Cost I think was $25. But, if you only have a car license, you can not use it to drive a motorbike here. It must show that you have an International motorcycle license. So, you can either receive a motorcycle license in the states and have them stamp it in your new international driver's license, or get a motorcycle license here. They are cheap, and takes one morning to get both a Car & Motorcycle license; they are separate. Cost for both: 250 Baht

To get a license, I believe that you do have to have at least a 90 day Visa. You must also get a cheap check-up at a clinic to show that you are healthy. You also need to show a permanent residence while you are applying, (copy of lease or equivalent). You must get a letter of permission from Immigration to obtain a Driver's License, and a letter from Immigration allowing you to buy a motorcycle. If you don't have a motorbike to take the ridden part of the test, you can rent one from someone there for 100 baht to use for the test.

It is not that difficult. Thailand just does not want 30 day tourists coming here and clouding up their lines for someone that is not even staying. Makes sense. Just follow the rules and you will be fine.

• Like 1

This is not intended as a thread stealing question and it may pertain to the OP question as well: Can I drive my m/c to the license bureau and use it to take the test? Or, will I be denied the opportunity to take the test if I do? My test area is Cha Am/Phetchaburi.

This is not intended as a thread stealing question and it may pertain to the OP question as well: Can I drive my m/c to the license bureau and use it to take the test? Or, will I be denied the opportunity to take the test if I do? My test area is Cha Am/Phetchaburi.

It is fine to drive your own motorbike to take your test. Most do, at least the day that I was there most did. Only one person had to rent a bike there for 100 baht.

I own a PCX150 and a PCX. First off you can get a bike in your name with a Tourist visa. I bought my first bike on a tourist visa. All you need to get is a "Resident Certificate" from immigration to have the bike in your name. The person who said he has a red license plate going through numerous check points without problems sounds like he never went back to get the permanent white one. All new bikes are issued temporary RED license plates. It takes the bike shop up to two months to get it in along with your GREEN book which is the title to the bike. Don't lose that book.

Secondly, don't ever buy those IDP's on the internet for 5 years. They are not sanctioned by the US State Department. There are only two businesses in the US authorized to issue IDP's and one is AAA. I can't remember the other business. You don't have to be a member of AAA to get the IDP and when I was in the US it was $15, but may have gone up. You need to bring them two passport ID's and your state license to get the IDP. As someone else said you cannot get the IDP for motorbike unless your state license has a motorbike endorsement on it.

If you need a motorbike endorsement on your state license and don't want to buy a bike to take the driving test then take a weekend motorbike safety course for about $200-300. These courses are designed for someone who has never driven a bike. In California I was able to bypass the driving test after taking this course. All I had to do was take the written for the bike and car again. No problem after a little study of the DMV handbook. With your state license endorsed with motorcycle then you go to AAA and get your IDP. With a national license and IDP you can drive anywhere in Thailand and pass all check-points without any problems. IDP's are ONLY good for one year. They must be renewed every year.

I'm pretty sure you can get a one year temporary Thai driver's license with a tourist visa (I could be wrong on this) which is easy with an IDP, but you will only ever be able to get a one-year temporary license. To get your 5-year license you do need a one year visa.

Lastly, the PCX150 or PCX are fantastic bikes. I was against them at their price until I rode one, then I was a fan. Getting an extra 25cc on the new models at the same price as the old bike is icing on the cake. On my old bike (Suzuki Hayate) I had one of those storage boxes, but on the PCX I don't need one. The storage under the seat is as big as it gets. If you need more help then buy a hook for your handlebars to place plastic bags on them. There's never been anything I've bought I can't bring home on that bike. It obviously has limits, but it works great for most normal shopping trips. If you have something like a large bag of toilet paper then place it between your legs and go. You have no loss of maneuverability or visibility with bags like this.

Edited by oneday

I have a pcx 150 great bike bought it in December and still on red plate dealer says another two months wait for white ones I had never owned a bike before i bought mine on a 90 day visa with residence certificate medical certificate 76k inc insurance took my test 3 weeks later at Pattaya 350 for car and bike licence used my own bike for test took most of the day but not hard i got stopped on way to do my test by police and the asked me for 500 but since then been stopped lots of times mainly in east pattaya show my licence and they just say go.If your coming to Pattaya pm me and i will gladly help you with the proccess and you could use my bike for the test good luck...

Secondly, don't ever buy those IDP's on the internet for 5 years. They are not sanctioned by the US State Department. There are only two businesses in the US authorized to issue IDP's and one is AAA. I can't remember the other business. You don't have to be a member of AAA to get the IDP and when I was in the US it was $15, but may have gone up. You need to bring them two passport ID's and your state license to get the IDP. As someone else said you cannot get the IDP for motorbike unless your state license has a motorbike endorsement on it.

This is an interesting statement can you please provide further information about the DoS (Department of State) sanction, I can't see it anywhere on the DoS website, maybe I missed it. Since I used to work for them smile.png this is definitely news to me. I would think if true that all the other IDP license issuers that operate out of the USA would have been shut down for illegal practices and their websites blocked, easy to do in the USA. My IDP is issued from AAIDL and is good for 3 more years, matches the expiration date of my US drivers license and I might add was recommended to me by the US State Department RSO when I worked for State 2 years ago...

I know things change which is why I'm asking so if this question comes up again the correct and current information can be distributed to US Citizens wanting or needing an IDP or IDL as it's sometimes called.

Edited by commande

I will not dispute anything anyone has said outside of Pattaya, I think OneDay advise is as good as it gets if you are from the U.S. regarding a International Driver License. The cost at least in California has gone up slightly if you want them to provide the photo it will cost you 30USD. You will have to provide your State Driver license the clerk will if he doesn't make a mistake stamp only the portion that you are qualified for driver in your own country. If you have a Class C, the clerk will only stamp the portion you are qualified! Don't worry if you don't have a motorbike license in your own State because 99% of the cops here can't read or write English they just want to see the International License book. I have been stopped hundred of times and this is all I give them and off I go.

You don't need no 90 Days Entry etc... Where you are staying get some evidence of payment that you are staying in Pattaya, take that and the other stuff mentioned and obtain a Residence Letter. Before you do all that stuff go down to the local License office and find out exactly what they need it changes from time to time? If you don't or can't prove you already have a motorbike license you will have to take the driver test, otherwise if you can prove through the International Driver license the stamp portion for Motorbike or provide a your State License that you have a endorsement for the motorbike then all you got to do is take the eye and reaction test which is easy.

To buy the bike or any bike, once again all you need is a residence certificate they don't accept copies so when you get one you will need two if the License office doesn't take a copy? The bike comes with a red plate as mentioned and it does take 3 months which is what was indicated to me when I purchased my 150 PCX, in March, I just got my plates last week. As for the bike it is a great bike and ride but aside from the underseat compartment outside of that you can't carry much. You can get one of those storage boxes mounted on the back but I'm just too cool for that? Someone mentioned that I can get a handle bar hook, I've been everywhere and they tell me "no have" so if someone has one can you provide a photo as to what it looks like? There is a Mityon parts store on Pattaya Tai and I've been there several times for items on the PCX and no luck. The other draw back I found is the seat although great for the driver there is a bump near the back that makes it uncomfortable for the passenger. The girls don't like it? I again have been to the Mityon shop for after market seat. I purchase one for 1700 baht thinking without the hump it would be better but it was worse that the original. It didn't have the hump as high but the passenger seat area was less than the original which I measured and the custom design portion has a smaller area for the driver and I'm not that big it was uncomfortable since the seat was design like a Recaro seat in a car it was not as thick as the original and the ride was stiffer. I ended up putting the original back on and try to return the new one without luck. The best the shop would do was pick 1700 baht worth of assessories. Still looking and I also went to Mai Tai shop on Soi Buakhoa.

This is my experience from getting a bike and license for myself and others that have come to visit even for a month!

Good luck!

Edited by thailand49

If I do need a license, can I get one without a WP? I will be a visa runner kind of guy...

Yes, you do need a license, an international licence is only ok for 3 months, after that you should get your Thai license, this NOT hard, if you already have a bike license from you home country. basically to purchase a bike, you need a 12 month visa, a certificate of Residency (from immigration) and a pocket on money.

The letter you have to get from immigration is not a letter of permission to drive either a motorbike or car.....it is a letter to show you a resident here....a letter of residency..

Already mentioned above....sorry, didn't notice it.

Edited by dotpoom

The letter you have to get from immigration is not a letter of permission to drive either a motorbike or car.....it is a letter to show you a resident here....a letter of residency..

Already mentioned above....sorry, didn't notice it.

Which you'll need to get your ownership/rego papers (aka Green Book)

possum1931, on 28 May 2013 - 15:37, said:

greg71, on 27 May 2013 - 13:17, said:

Would you ride a motorbike without a license in your own country?

If ten year olds can ride motorbikes in Thailand, why shouldn't the OP?

Because the BIB generally leave the kids alone but a white faced foreigner they will stop all the time and ask for a license, sometimes taking a little tea money and in some cases taking whatever ID you have available holding it till you get lucky and find the police station to pay the fine.

Pattaya, which is all I can really speak for is they are actually sending you to the police station more than taking tea money now which is a pain and can be very confusing to a new person in Thailand especially since most Thai police don't speak English so they can't give you directions to the police station unless you consider that they make some sounds in Thai and point in the general direction down the road.

Generally in Thailand, you do the right thing and your not messed with, when you try and act like your a Thai and get away with things you pay the price why, your not Thai. Police don't even bother stopping me anymore, they know my helmet now, was told this by a BIB already several times, they know I have a license and all the correct paperwork always on me to include a copy of my passport which is actually a real legal requirement to but rarely enforced but yes it does happen.

Edited by commande

Because the BIB generally leave the kids alone but a white faced foreigner they will stop all the time and ask for a license, sometimes taking a little tea money and in some cases taking whatever ID you have available holding it till you get lucky and find the police station to pay the fine.

Pattaya, which is all I can really speak for is they are actually sending you to the police station more than taking tea money now which is a pain and can be very confusing to a new person in Thailand.

Generally in Thailand, you do the right thing and your not messed with, when you try and act like your a Thai and get away with things you pay the price why, your not Thai. Police don't even bother stopping me anymore, they know my helmet now, was told this my a BIB already several times, they know I have a license and all the correct paperwork always on me to include a copy of my passport which is actually a real legal requirement to but rarely enforced but yes it does happen.

Yes, the BIB leave the kids alone because they live in the same town or village as the parents, and they don't want to upset them.

Pattaya, which is all I can really speak for is they are actually sending you to the police station more than taking tea money now which is a pain and can be very confusing to a new person in Thailand.

Generally in Thailand, you do the right thing and your not messed with, when you try and act like your a Thai and get away with things you pay the price why, your not Thai. Police don't even bother stopping me anymore, they know my helmet now, was told this my a BIB already several times, they know I have a license and all the correct paperwork always on me to include a copy of my passport which is actually a real legal requirement to but rarely enforced but yes it does happen.

Yes, the BIB leave the kids alone because they live in the same town or village as the parents, and they don't want to upset them.

You might want to think of buying the Sym 300 or the new Honda 300. Lots of storage and much more bike all the way around. Costs more, but worth it IMHO. I bought the Sym because it has fold in mirrors like a car to help you get through tight spots. Have had the bike for over a year now and love it. The PCX is a nice bike--also the most stolen bike in Pattaya.

You might want to think of buying the Sym 300 or the new Honda 300. Lots of storage and much more bike all the way around. Costs more, but worth it IMHO. I bought the Sym because it has fold in mirrors like a car to help you get through tight spots. Have had the bike for over a year now and love it. The PCX is a nice bike--also the most stolen bike in Pattaya.

They could care a less. everyone does it and they don't look for it in any way.. at least that is what I saw and heard from others when obtaining mine in Phuket..

I walked into a Honda dealer with a 3 month tourist visa, no letter of residence, no motorcycle license, etc.. only my passport. Handed them the cash and drove off with a new bike. It couldn't have been any easier. After a few tickets, i decided to get my Thai bike license, also very easy and did it in a couple hours. No worries..alot of good suggestions on this thread that may be a better approach than my winging it but surely very easy.

Yes, you do need a license, an international licence is only ok for 3 months, after that you should get your Thai license, this NOT hard, if you already have a bike license from you home country. basically to purchase a bike, you need a 12 month visa, a certificate of Residency (from immigration) and a pocket on money.

I just got out and read my IDP. It states that it is valid for one year from date of issue. It costs me, from AAA in the US, $15.00 plus $10 for photograph. One year old. You must also carry your state driving license with it at all time. The IDP is written in many languages, but not Thai. Pretty easy for anyone to learn if it is good for a motorcycle though. Motorcycle in Thai is motorsai.

I walked into a Honda dealer with a 3 month tourist visa, no letter of residence, no motorcycle license, etc.. only my passport. Handed them the cash and drove off with a new bike. It couldn't have been any easier. After a few tickets, i decided to get my Thai bike license, also very easy and did it in a couple hours. No worries..alot of good suggestions on this thread that may be a better approach than my winging it but surely very easy.

This is exactly what happened to the girl that I bought my bike from. She paid in full with cash, and drove off. No problems, except the dealer just kept the bike in his name. She had no ownership. When I bought it from her, we both had to go to the dealer for all of the paperwork, (nothing in her name). The dealer then had to hire an expediter to go to the Land Transport Office with myself and the dealer to straighten it all out. Cost at Land Transport was 800 baht, 10 weeks later I got my new plate and the Greenbook in my name showing ownership. Before you register for Greenbook, make sure that the Serial# on both the engine & frame do match in the Greenbook. Don't ever buy a vehicle without getting the Greenbook. You then own nothing.

I've always used my other halves motorbike (which I happened to purchase for her anyway) but two years ago decided to buy one myself as I was sick of riding a bike that had not been looked after and was under the misconception that if I had a bike in my own name then people would think twice about mistreating it when I wasnt here, sadly I was wrong, but anyway I had no problem purchasing it from a local dealer, rather than pay for it outright in cash I bought it on hire purchase and have a payment plan over 30 months ( I reasoned that if any damage was caused by careless relatives of my wife while the bike was reasonabally new then at least I could get rid and would not be too much out of pocket, I put 10000 baht deposit down and pay just short of 2000 baht per month which works out about 10000 baht more than if I had bought it cash. All I needed was a guarantor with a residential address in thailand, (my wifes aunt) and my ID (passport with visa, and after a few signatures was able to ride my new fino scooter home, along with red plate which I was supposed to get renewed via the amper office but to this date (18 months later) have not. This I would reccomend doing as it can cause problems with greedy/keen policeman when you are out of your locality, saying that I have rode many times from my home in Rayong to Ban Laem in Chantaburi for my visa renewal and never been stopped. Also if you are new to scooters and smaller motorbikes I would reccomend the ever popular Yamaha Fino scooter, which is fully automatic and easy and comfortable to ride, not much room for luggage and shopping but it is possible to balance a good few items on the foot plate and hook supplied.I also ride on an international licence and always have my european licence on hand too.