Mx5 Which Is Better 1.8 Or 2.0 What Are The Pro's And Con's

I am considering buying an MX5 would consider an older 1.8 circa 1995 or a later 2.0, what are the pro's and con's of these two models, on the 1.8 would you consider ABS to be a must or not as this seems to be an optional extra, any information would be gratefully received in anticipation.

Tom

Depends a lot on what is available for how much and condition. If not worried about "cosmetics" I would probably go with an early NA and get a BBR turbo kit. (still available new)

Priced at just £4995.00 fitted in BBR’s Brackley based workshop, the BBR Mazda MX-5 turbo kit is available now. A DIY version of the kit is also available as an option, priced at £3995.00.

You would have to do the math. But 220 hp and 0-60 in about 5.5 seconds. Perfect as an "island" car?

Edited by VocalNeal

Well the evolution of the Mx5 has always been positive, the later model engine and chassis combos were a considerable step forward on what was already a very well balanced car, There was no back stepping so with the addition of ABS it only got better, the primary difference which is common in model upgrades was in weight but Mazda managed to overcome this quite well with a wider stance and wheel base and part of that was also to give it more ponies as well but it still maintained it's almost legendary balance.

Edited by WarpSpeed

If you want the feeling of driving a 60's sports car go for the First Model 1989 onwards. These have no driver aids like ABS and handle terrific. If you fit Extractors and a Free Flowing Exhaust along with a replacement air intake box the Horsepower jumps considerably and it will Rev like shit. I bought one of the first 200 delivered to Australia in October 1989 and sold it to a mate when i moved to Thailand in 2004 and it has still only done 55,000 k's. No frills but a great sports car for fun. Although most people think this car was based on the Lotus Elan, they are wrong. The first models sold in Oz came with 2 books on the Design and Development of the MX5 and the photo's show that the Triumph Spitfire was used as a major comparison in the development. The car is not really underpowered but has the power to match the Chassie so it can be thrown around and the origional Tyres developed for the car were designed so the car would slide as the 60's sports cars did. It is also important if changing the wheels to get the right Offset as this was critical to the handling. I still have a complete race tuning book that was put out 20 odd years ago for this model which gives all the best mods you can do to them.

The main question is have you sat in a MX5 ?

They are great cars, but for little people, the Mk 2 so later cars are a bit bigger inside........ maybe would need to remove the sun visor, remember years ago 'Clarkson' test driving one, not possible to put the top up, and in line of sight was the upper wind screen bar, sat bolt upright he looked over the top [full wind in face] or leaned over to passenger side to see out, looked very funny. of course he is very tall, so if your more than 6' try 1 st.

Believe a little bigger would be the Honda S200, not many here...... BMW Z3 ? Lotus Elise is bigger but so is the price 2nd hand.

Or if you want something you can drive in Thai weather, maybe an old MR2? wink.png

There's a few GT2000 widebody's with the Celica GT4 turbo engine floating around TH..

Problem I have with the older Toyota Sports cars is the lack of ABS and Airbags...

Honda Itergra Honda CRX Honda S2000 is more like, but expensive MX5 http://www.thaicar.com/dealers/detail.php?car_id=82432

Guess cheaper would be a MG - MGF something like this http://www.one2car.com/MG_MGF/C13130504

Edited by ignis

Re ABS, depends if you're a "driver" that knows how to handle a vehicle or just someone who drives a car.

If the former you'll know how to cadence brake, if the latter, go for ABS but be well aware that on slippery surfaces emergency stopping distances will be increased, BUT, you will be able to steer whilst braking heavily.

I had an early 1990 Japanese import with a Jackson Racing Manifold, "something (can't remember)" magic inlet manifold, sports exhaust (can't remember the brand), K&N filter, engine bracing, Bilstein shocks, ADVAN magnesium alloys (perfectly balanced) and lovely Yokohama tires (later changed to Dunlop F1s). The car was quick and VERY agile. The best part I had (and ties in with an earlier comment) was a hard-top. It spent the summer in the garage but would come out in October and stay on the car almost indefinitely until April. The difference to the back end handling was dramatic. Fish-tailing the car in a controlled manner in the wet with the hard-top on was so easy and SO much fun.

Though quick these cars are more about the pleasure in driving them around country roads. I have to say that I would not take a lot of pleasure in driving one of them around Bangkok's roads or on most of the main highways in Thailand....just too much pain.

I drove many other 2 seaters over the years, some more powerful but only 2 had better handling than that little gem....the Lotus Elise and Exige and you don't get much better handling than that.

The one other option you might consider is upgrading the horn as the stock one will only make people laugh! ;)