Raybans How To Tell They're Authentic?

mr3cho

I have a pair of Wayfarers which are ~ 35 years old; and they are still fine - sometimes the more expensive product ends up being the most cost-effective. These were a graduation present, but I think they were $50 new at the time? They (were) made in the U.S.A. There is no Ray-Ban logo on the lens, there is an overlapping BL faintly visible on both lenses.

• Like 1

A lot of really cheap sunglasses have plastic polarizing lenses. They are made for sale in the West where people expect it. Walmart carries generics for less than US$10 or about 300 baht, made in China. I wouldn't give up without looking.

I have a pair of Wayfarers which are ~ 35 years old; and they are still fine - sometimes the more expensive product ends up being the most cost-effective. These were a graduation present, but I think they were $50 new at the time? They (were) made in the U.S.A. There is no Ray-Ban logo on the lens, there is an overlapping BL faintly visible on both lenses.

Very true. My most expensive pairs of glasses $120-160 I still have scratch free condition 6-8 years later. The cheapies were lost or sat on.

Very true. My most expensive pairs of glasses $120-160 I still have scratch free condition 6-8 years later. The many cheapies were lost or sat on.

I was reliably informed recently by an optician that since none of them are officially made in Thailand, there has been a roaring trade in good quality knock offs on Thailand for donkeys years.

How can it be that they can perpetually offer 40% off otherwise.

Basically they are all great quality copies, even in the apparently most reputable places.

I got my Rayban lenses changed for 250baht prescription ones and they have never been better.

Gotta give it to the frames though, I went over the handlebars and landed on my head and the Raybans still held by one of the two rivets at the hinge. I got those Raybans at Heathrow duty free ten or twelve years ago for a mere 20 pounds which was some sort of real bargain. I like that the metal extension goes all the way down inside the arms, but wouldn't dream of spending 5 or 6000 just for the sake of fashion.

Edited by cheeryble