Raybans How To Tell They're Authentic?

mr3cho

Shopping around for a new pair of raybans. Foldable Wayfarers to be exact. Have been asking the shop owners if authentic raybans are always enscripted with 'Made in Italy'. They say yes. However about 5 years ago I bought a pair of aviators in Manhattan at a retail store foe about $130 and that pair says 'Made in China' but the shop owner said that some of the recent raybans no longer are made in Italy. My old pair also has a faint 'RB' etched in the left side lens. There are also 'RB's etched into the nose pad stems.

Any experts here that can share some knowledge?

Edited by mr3cho

These days fashion designers only make a select amount in Italy and the majority will be made in china, they are still the same.

Choose a good retail store not some hawker off the street, If it sounds to good to be true it is.

I don't trust any small product for sale in Asia to be the original brand. That doesn't mean they won't work, though. I've seen so many phony products that I just expect everything to be fake. I won't buy anything in duty free shops because they are all rip-offs.

I don't trust any small product for sale in Asia to be the original brand. That doesn't mean they won't work, though. I've seen so many phony products that I just expect everything to be fake. I won't buy anything in duty free shops because they are all rip-offs.

Try Emporium mall for the real goods.

Yes, that's what the B&L stands for. They will still have that engraved on the . And you are quite correct, they are now made in China but to the same (or actually better) standards than before. A friend of mine in HK is one of their designers - she says the quality is perfect.

My old pair also has a faint 'RB' etched in the left side lens.

Wasn't that BL for Bausch & Lomb?

It definitely looks like an RB in their script.

You're right, I googled and found that they do mark RB since BL sold the Rayban division to Luxottica of Italy. :)

Authentic Ray-Bans in optical shops, and other luxury goods, are ~ 2x here versus the U.S., owing to duty. There is quite an underground trade here for authentic Ray-Bans as many Thais operate luggage transfer services and bring in thousands of pairs for re-sale. These items are small, light-weight and easy to 'import' in baggage. So you can find them for a price roughly between the U.S. price and the Thai retail price.

RB4105's (folding Wayfarers) (-01 though -05) range in price from $155 to $205 (USD, MSRP), based on style and lens type.

Note that Ray-Ban is part of the Luxottica group, which pretty much controls the global eye-glass frame market.

I return to the U.S. frequently and Ray-Bans are one of the more requested items I get from friends/colleagues here. I have one request for my upcoming trip in early July.

There are a ton of guides on the interwebs: https://www.google.com/search?q=identify+real+ray-bans&oq=identify+real+ray-bans&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l2.5885j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Edited by lomatopo

Authentic Ray-Bans in optical shops, and other luxury goods, are ~ 2x here versus the U.S., owing to duty. There is quite an underground trade here for authentic Ray-Bans as many Thais operate luggage transfer services and bring in thousands of pairs for re-sale. These items are small, light-weight and easy to 'import' in baggage. So you can find them for a price roughly between the U.S. price and the Thai retail price.

RB4105's (folding Wayfarers) (-01 though -05) range in price from $155 to $205 (USD, MSRP), based on style and lens type.

Note that Ray-Ban is part of the Luxottica group, which pretty much controls the global eye-glass frame market.

I return to the U.S. frequently and Ray-Bans are one of the more requested items I get from friends/colleagues here. I have one request for my upcoming trip in early July.

There are a ton of guides on the interwebs: https://www.google.com/search?q=identify+real+ray-bans&oq=identify+real+ray-bans&aqs=chrome.0.57j0l2.5885j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

excellent thanks. Yea I went looking last night from centralworld to siam square. their listing price was 11,000 baht with 20-40% discount. Also found them on zappos.com for $160 US. I think I'll have to wait and order them online and have a relative bring them back in a cpl months

You never know.

I've been using Oral-B toothbrushes since I was a kid.

Went to Tesco (reputable) and bought a pair. Boxing looked good. Everything looked good. Price was appropriate for authentic Oral-Bees.

Nope. Got them home, opened them up. Softer than soft. Totally worthless.

• Like 1

You never know.

Went to Tesco (reputable) and bought a pair. Boxing looked good. Everything looked good. Price was appropriate for authentic Oral-Bees.

I don't know how a Rayban sunglasses topic has suddenly changed to Oral B toothbrushes

But just a thought.

Did you look on the packet to see if marked 'soft, Medium or Hard'?

:lol:

Sent from my LG-E612 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I buy my Ray Ban (Roy Bon) sunglasses for 100 baht on Sou buakhow market.

I like buying the Gold Toned Aviators, which the RB etched into the lens and into the nose pads.

Without joking when a Thai friend or Thai local sees them, they automatically think there real. They really get shocked when I tell them I bought then from the Market.

I have a different pair for everyday.

Original Ray Bans are too heavy on the Snoz. Not comfortable at all

It's so clear and easy to understand !

Buy in the street or any cheap shop = fake

Buy at official optical shop = genuine

Don't worry, official shops do not need to sell fake, they already make more than 5000 profit on a single pair that cost $20 when leaving the factory !

The

Don't worry, official shops do not need to sell fake, they already make more than 5000 profit on a single pair that cost $20 when leaving the factory !

The problem of fake is not that they are fake, it is that they are dangerous: when your eyes are in the dark behind the glasses they open wide but the problem is that these cheap chinese plastic do not protect from UV even when it is written so because your eyes are wide opened you get the dangerous UV directly inside... So it is clear that it is over stupid to wear fake glasses when you can buy authentic NOT branded ones for 2000-3000 at any optical shop in Thailand as in US and EU.

The

The problem of fake is not that they are fake, it is that they are dangerous: when your eyes are in the dark behind the glasses they open wide but the problem is that these cheap chinese plastic do not protect from UV even when it is written so because your eyes are wide opened you get the dangerous UV directly inside... So it is clear that it is over stupid to wear fake glasses when you can buy authentic NOT branded ones for 2000-3000 at any optical shop in Thailand as in US and EU.

But can you get UV in your eyes if you do not look at the sun? I never look at the sun and with my complextion I usually wear a hat to shield my eyes

You never know.

I don't know how a Rayban sunglasses topic has suddenly changed to Oral B toothbrushes

But just a thought.

The topic didn't change. It's about how you can't tell, sometimes, real from fake.

And yes, after buying Oral-B for forty years, I did look for "hard."

The 

But can you get UV in your eyes if you do not look at the sun? I never look at the sun and with my complextion I usually wear a hat to shield my eyes 

it's not that. Problem with cheap sunnies is they dont have real lenses in them. Its just junk moulded plastic that can cause eye strain, headaches etc. Buying a good pair of sunglasses is worth it. Look after them and they will last for years. Usually mine make it to 2years before crunch. The rayban have a superb grey uv lense in them, you will see pilots love them for work, but worth every cent and they look good! Sorry but copies aren't worth the 100baht they cost. Can't compare real/fake in this situation. Just IMO.

Google the model number that you want.

After searching Ray Ban official site.

You can then access close up photo's of the item including official markings.

Visit the shop and feel the quality.

I have a pair that are 5 years old.

,bought in Thailand,I am sure a copy would of fell to bits in weeks.

You never know.

I don't know how a Rayban sunglasses topic has suddenly changed to Oral B toothbrushes

But just a thought.

The topic didn't change. It's about how you can't tell, sometimes, real from fake.

Time to take the plunge into electric maybe?Or is your house still full of gas lamps?

You never know.

But just a thought.

Time to take the plunge into electric maybe?Or is your house still full of gas lamps?

Just gas.

The

But can you get UV in your eyes if you do not look at the sun? I never look at the sun and with my complextion I usually wear a hat to shield my eyes

Definitely. It reflects. Any good polarizing lens will block UV. If I were buying cheapies, I would look through them to see if they removed glare from surfaces and allowed me to see through it. In the picture below, the glare is gone (polarized) from the cell phone on the left.

zcp.jpg

I don't see the value of paying 10 times the price for 'genuine' over fake based on the uv protection factor when 90% of Ray Ban's are worn perched on top of the head.

Yes, pilots and other professionals with a need for eye protection and really good vision buy them for that reason but the fact is they are all just so much fashion accessory these days to everyone else.

With respect to rene's query about uv exposure, by nature of ultra-violet's very short wavelength, it is reflected from most every surface rather than absorbed. Table tops, counters, even light-coloured pavement will reflect a high amount of uv back upwards. Recreational sailors, surfers, etc., are very high risk as the surface of the sea reflects almost all uv light. Hence getting a wicked sunburn under your chin when tootling about in your Fireball unless you cover up!