Thrown Out Of Mcdonalds

petedk

Meanwhile someone suggested that Thais love McDonalds- I have to disagree. Outside of Bkk and tourist spots you'll be hard pushed to find one.

-

183 locations, most of them nowhere near farang-infested areas - Kanchanaburi? Really?

Even the one near Saphan Taksin is minority foreigners any time I go in there. Mostly schoolkids with their tutors in the afternoon.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that Saphan Taksin near Hua Hin? Or BKK as I said? And yes the McD's in Kan, traditionally one of the oldest 'farang-friendly' cities closed down a few years ago now.

-

BKK. You're trying to claim that McD's very profitable business is supported mostly by foreigners because according to you Thais don't like it.

I'm telling you that 90% of its locations probably get 80%+ of their business from Thais, and many of them probably don't see more than a dozen foreigners in a day.

In support of that, customers at the 24hr McD's down the street from me, in one of the heaviest-trafficked tourist locations in the Kingdom, are almost always mostly Thai at any time of day or night.

I realize that the bridge at Kanchanburi's an important tourist destination, but not that it had a large population of residents living there. Anyway pretty small population altogether, not surprised it doesn't support one.

All the larger provincial capitals have one, the one in Surin I knows does pretty well, often no farang in sight too.

I think that was what was basically saying, I agree with your point that McD's has become popular in big cities, but Bangkok is not Thailand. Kanchanaburi is certainly big enough to support any restaurant, if the locals want to eat the food. It also has a large ex-pat community. and is the largest provincial capital in the province :) However, theirs closed down about 4 years ago after having been open for about 4 years. I'm really quite interested in this- why would the Surin one do so well and the Kan one fail?

I'm still sticking to my guns mind. Thais don't generally eat beef which makes a burger restaurant a poor option in their view and McDonalds has a very weak presence here- compare them for example to 7-11.

Maybe it's just a city/ town thing

I think that was what was basically saying, I agree with your point that McD's has become popular in big cities, but Bangkok is not Thailand. Kanchanaburi is certainly big enough to support any restaurant, if the locals want to eat the food. It also has a large ex-pat community. and is the largest provincial capital in the province smile.png However, theirs closed down about 4 years ago after having been open for about 4 years. I'm really quite interested in this- why would the Surin one do so well and the Kan one fail?

I'm still sticking to my guns mind. Thais don't generally eat beef which makes a burger restaurant a poor option in their view and McDonalds has a very weak presence here- compare them for example to 7-11.

Maybe it's just a city/ town thing

wow some people do actually think about MD development in the country

Amazing !

Because Surin is a HUGE city compared to tiny Kan.

McD's serves a LOT of pork and chicken, even fish. . .

And 7/11 is no comparison, it sells a completely different range of thousands of different products to suit it's location, it's not really a brand in itself as much as a distribution channel, it's product is convenience.

I'm not at all saying that "Thais love McD's" as much as they love other foods. It might even be the least popular chain of all in the country.

I'm saying "most McD's customers are Thais" - across the board average even, not just excluding the tourist ghettos.

Edited by boosta
  • Like 1

^^I certainly can't disagree with that. But its absence outside of big cities shows that the majority of Thai people don't eat it very often. Its presence in big cities shows that a tiny proportion eat it, but enough to support the occasional outlet.. It's pretty simple.