Starting A Dating Site For Myanmar

bos2sea

Hi

I was thinking about starting a dating community aimed at Westerners/expats that want to meet Myanmar women. There already exist a number of such sites for Thailand, Vietnam and other countries in SEA. Of course, there are also more general dating sites that cover all of Asia. However, taking into account that the population size is comparable to Thailand, and probably growing, I think there's room for a dedicated Myanmar dating site. I was just wondering what people thought about this. Is there already a site that covers this that I missed? Would you use such a service? Any opinions/comments/insight will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I wouldn't use such a service as I'm married, even if I wasn't married, I still wouldn't.

But clearly there are people who would. I have no doubt that if you marketed it to Myanmar women as a website where they can meet western men, they would be interested. I think you'll have a problem overcoming shyness and getting them to post a picture of themselves though. English will be an issue as well.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it!

I think you'll have a problem overcoming shyness and getting them to post a picture of themselves though.

Dou know this from personal experience? When I check out profiles on Facebook or tagged.com, there seem to be plenty of women from Myanmar with pics.

English will be an issue as well.

Yes, that's probably true. The user interface could be translated, but I don't know how much that would help. Do you think the general English level is very bad? The only point of reference I have is China, where many people barely can say 'hello' even though they all study English from first grade.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it!

I think you'll have a problem overcoming shyness and getting them to post a picture of themselves though.

Dou know this from personal experience? When I check out profiles on Facebook or tagged.com, there seem to be plenty of women from Myanmar with pics.

>

English will be an issue as well.

Yes, that's probably true. The user interface could be translated, but I don't know how much that would help. Do you think the general English level is very bad? The only point of reference I have is China, where many people barely can say 'hello' even though they all study English from first grade.

In answer to your first question, I would say yes. Facebook is completely different from what you're proposing, I have no idea what tagged.com is. There is a social stigma attached to females who put themselves out there, so to speak. Facebook is viewed as a connection to existing friends, family etc. Advertising that you're single and looking, now that's completely different. Culturally it's a no no. You might want to take a look at the traditional courtship behaviour here first. Yes things might be changing, but they really haven't changed that much.

In answer to your second question, then yes, the general level of english is bad. If you believed you could attract the rich young ladies who have attended private/international schools then the answer would be the opposite, but I can't see them being that interested. However, (for normal Burmese) their reading and writing skills are normally far superior to their spoken english. Like China, they learn it here at school, they never get a chance to speak it, when they do it's often a case of the blind leading the blind...wink.png

Edited by DagonKhan
  • Like 1

Well, tagged.com is another SNS, and I was told that it's used a lot in Myanmar. It's also mentioned in this article => http://mmtimes.com/index.php/special-features/159-digital-communications/4093-online-dating-in-myanmar-a-pursuit-of-peril-or-promise.html.

You might want to take a look at the traditional courtship behaviour here first.

Care to elaborate?

Hope I'm not being too much of a pain in the butt, asking all these questions!

Care to elaborate?

Traditionally speaking....

Boy meets girl. Get to know each other, talking and what not. Girl is always accompanied by a family member (sometimes trusted friend who family approve of) when in the company of the boy, never when its dark of course. Boy decides to take it a step further and become 'engaged', so he asks girl. She then tells him that she will consider it, a period of time elapses, normally a few weeks, could be a couple of months. Get parents permission to marry, normally boys parents go to girls parents house and ask for this, boy and girl sit outside whilst their future is discussed. Girls who get dumped in between the engaged stage and marriage face serious problems, many guys won't touch them (or their families won't let them).

Myanmar men (traditionally) will not marry a girl unless she is a virgin. Girls will go to great lengths to ensure that if they have a relationship it will lead to marriage, otherwise they're spoilt goods and acquire a 'reputation'. Now obviously not all of that applies all of time, especially in places like Yangon where there is a more modern outlook, but you'll find that a version of the above happens in 95% of cases if not more even here in Yangon.

What you tend to find is that girls will push the boat out if they believe no one will find out about it, secrecy is paramount. Putting a picture on a website of themselves that says that they are available to western men (or Myanmar men) would be a big no no. Just an idea, but I think you'll find that you'll need to avoid the words dating and marriage. Start a website that promises friendship and you might be more successful...thumbsup.gif

It is different for women who are divorced or widowed, they're not scrutinised half as much.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I like the previous post !!! :) :) :)

Having said that, a site that promotes friendship with western men would have more success as another poster have said. And if to find a way how to attract the educated modern burmese girls who speak English.. Now, DagonKhan, what do you think, what are those girls are seeking?

Do they want a marriage with a burmese guy and life in Mnyanmar, or a westerner and possibly going abroad?