Close Ties Land Apinan Top Job: Thai Govt P R Chief

webfact

NEW GOVT PR CHIEF
Close ties land Apinan top job

The Nation

pr.jpg
Apinan

Former Buri Ram governor, who is close to red-shirt leaders, deemed 'most suitable'

BANGKOK: -- The new Public Relations Department chief Apinan Chantharangsi is close to top Pheu Thai Party members and red-shirt leaders in the Northeast, sources said yesterday.

The former Buri Ram governor will be the first director-general of the Public Relations Department to be transferred from a governor's post.

Apinan's predecessor as PR chief, Theerapong Sodasri, was transferred on April 30 to be an adviser to the prime minister attached to the PM's Office.

The reason for Theerapong's transfer was "for suitability".

Apinan's close ties with Pheu Thai and red-shirt leaders were a factor in his being promoted to the Buri Ram governorship, a post he held for less than a year, said sources at the Interior Ministry, who asked not to be named.

The Public Relations post is an even bigger prize.

Apinan is close to former prime minister Somchai Wongsawat, brother-in-law of de facto party chief Thaksin Shinawatra, and Aree Krainara, the secretary to Deputy Commerce Minister Natthawut Saikua.

Aree, a former chief of security for the red-shirt movement, used to be the secretary to the interior minister. He reportedly helped push Apinan to be appointed Buri Ram governor.

Apinan is also close to Kwanchai Sarakham, aka Kwanchai Praipana, leader of the Udon Thani red shirts.

Prior to his appointment as Buri Ram governor, he worked his way up through the ranks, starting as an assistant district chief in Nakhon Ratchasima. He served as district chief in Chachoengsao, worked at various posts in the Provincial Administration and Local Administation Departments, and was a deputy governor in various provinces, including Pattani.

Curriculum vitae

Apinan is a native of Nakhon Si Thammarat in the South. He earned a bachelor's in political science at Ramkhamhaeng University and a master's from the National Institute of Development Administration. He graduated from Class 34 at the District Chief School in 1993. He has held the following posts:

1979: Assistant district chief, Khong district, Nakhon Ratchasima.

1988: Chief, political and mass relations department, Territory Defence Division, Provincial Administration Department.

1992: Assistant district chief, Buddha Monthon, Nakhon Pathom.

1994: District chief, Nong Hong district, Buri Ram.

1996: Chief mass operations coordinator, Internal Security Affairs Office, Local Administration Department.

1997: District chief, Bang Nam Prieo district, Chachoengsao (later chief of Muang district)

2002: Director, Special Operations Division, Territory Defence Office, Local Administration Department (LAD).

2004: Inspector general, LAD

2005: Director, Internal Security Affairs Office, LAD.

2006: Deputy governor, Pattani (later deputy governor of Ratchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Nakhon Pathom)

2012: Governor, Buri Ram

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-05

I'm not sure this is a good idea. The name Apinan sounds so similar to the name Alpine, which we are all trying to forget quickly(as would anybody that had stolen 1000rai of land from a temple donation to make a luxury country club).

Seems a shame as Yongyuth already took the fall for this accidental windfall.

Cronyism in Thailand, now isn't that a surprise ! I see he's been picked " for suitability " as he's close to both PTP and red shirt leaders which nowadays is the perfect CV..

Yes he certainly fits the current bill but what of his actual ability ? I have never heard of this gentleman but I see from his real CV that he has held many posts and usually only for a couple of years each which could have both a positive or negative reasoning.

I have to say however that during my working life someone who was moved around a lot was usually viewed with suspicion however that's not a consideration now as he's definitely " one of the boys ".