Norway's 6 Month Abroad Limitation? - For Retirees Health Insurance Etc.

I have a retired Norwegian colleague that says he heard of a rule that if he is abroad for more than 6 months he can lose his health insurance coverage, puts his government sponsored mortgage in jeopardy etc. He is not that computer literate to research this issue on his own and for obvious reasons would rather not asked pointed questions directly in Norway and I don't know Norwegian myself etc.

Basically, he would like to spend more than 6 months in Thailand without the worry of loss of coverage, but usually spends a few months in Norway annually anyway.

Does any Norwegian readers know what the real rules are? Maybe a online link? If there really is a 6 month rule, is it measured by the calendar year or a rolling 12 month method? He mentioned he did stay 7 months once and there was no repercussions - so the question is how is this purported 6 month limit enforced? Another factor is he has a valid work permit/contract for working in Thailand, but this work is flexible on his location for research etc. Would him working in Thailand have the potential to cancel or postpone his retirement benefits?

Any information or experience on this issue would be appreciated.

I am swedish by the way, a neighbouring country. I think that what he is saying is absolutely nothing new at all. The rule in Sweden is that if you are living steadily outside the borders for more than 180 days in one year, and you have no living quarters back home, than the gouverment "sign you out", and out of the health-programme that we scandinavian countries have.

For me living here now for more than 5 years I have an accident-insuramnce by AIA, and I coldheartely calculate that if I get sick outside accidents, I mean health-issues that will be extremely expensive here in Thailand, than I have saved up a buffert of 15.000:- (SEK) so that if that happens I can afford a ticket back home again.

It will take me about 2 hours to "sign in" again, and by than I am a full member again of the health system in Sweden. I have really a heard time to claim that it is so much different between Norway and Sweden, we have almost exactly the same laws about everything.

I think your friends problem is how he shall plan his future and calculate with risks of being sik and so on... Planning will be very important for him. For me luckely I am not worried at all, as I said, If it goes to hell with my health and I need immidiate healtcare I just go back home in a flash.....

Good luck

Glegolo

Some of my best friends are Norwegians. They only stay here 1/2 the year because of this issue. Any longer and they lose their benefits. Which are many.

Where is your friend from? In most towns here in Thailand, there's usually a fairly large Norwegian community. Best bet is to find a local Norwegian restaurant, or one they hang out in, and try there.

I am swedish by the way, a neighbouring country. I think that what he is saying is absolutely nothing new at all. The rule in Sweden is that if you are living steadily outside the borders for more than 180 days in one year, and you have no living quarters back home, than the gouverment "sign you out", and out of the health-programme that we scandinavian countries have.

For me living here now for more than 5 years I have an accident-insuramnce by AIA, and I coldheartely calculate that if I get sick outside accidents, I mean health-issues that will be extremely expensive here in Thailand, than I have saved up a buffert of 15.000:- (SEK) so that if that happens I can afford a ticket back home again.

It will take me about 2 hours to "sign in" again, and by than I am a full member again of the health system in Sweden. I have really a heard time to claim that it is so much different between Norway and Sweden, we have almost exactly the same laws about everything.

I think your friends problem is how he shall plan his future and calculate with risks of being sik and so on... Planning will be very important for him. For me luckely I am not worried at all, as I said, If it goes to hell with my health and I need immidiate healtcare I just go back home in a flash.....

Good luck

Glegolo

same rules 180 days all eur country

Good luck

Glegolo

same rules 180 days all eur country

Yes that maybe correct..But Norway does not belong to EU.....

Glegolo

Your Norwegian colleaque should ask the authorities for pensioners directly.

If he don't want to contact them himself, maybe you can do it for him (they are fluent in English) smile.png

http://www.nav.no/Forsiden

From their website I found this:

Travel abroad
You are obliged by the social insurance when going on holiday abroad for less than 12 months. Even if you are obliged to be members can stay abroad have an impact on your rights in the State.
When you're a tourist?
You are regarded as a tourist when you intend to stay abroad for less than 12 months and have earned income abroad.

When are you no longer as a tourist?
If you are holidaying in more than 12 months the membership. It is not so that you can be a member for the first 12 months of a long stay abroad. If the stay should last more than 12 months the membership of the National Insurance Scheme already the first day abroad.

http://www.nav.no/Internasjonalt/Opphold+i+utlandet/Turist+i+utlandet

Edited by Asia2000

In Sweden the 180 day rule only applies if you are living in the EU. You will lose all and be fined or sent to prison if you are claiming and living outside the EU. Thats the law... check on it... ignorance is no excuse.

In Sweden the 180 day rule only applies if you are living in the EU. You will lose all and be fined or sent to prison if you are claiming and living outside the EU. Thats the law... check on it... ignorance is no excuse.

I do not know what kind of stuff you are writing. But please dont!!! the 180 day rule is valid when you are living outside Sweden and of course EU as we are member of EU...

Your talk about prison is hereby completely disregarded. If you yourself not 2sign out" than the authorities do it for you... There are no punishment involved here.....This is the law......

Glegolo

The UK signs you out of the NHS as soon as they are aware you are living somewhere else and you have to come back for 6 months before you can get back in. They will give emergency treatment while you are outside the system but will give you the bill, if they know. Many people have been caught by surprise after innocently admitting they had been living abroad. Those in the know don't admit they have been living abroad.

The UK signs you out of the NHS as soon as they are aware you are living somewhere else and you have to come back for 6 months before you can get back in. They will give emergency treatment while you are outside the system but will give you the bill, if they know. Many people have been caught by surprise after innocently admitting they had been living abroad. Those in the know don't admit they have been living abroad.

Not strictly true for the UK - you stop being entitled to NHS treatment after living outside the UK for 6 months but if you return and state you intend to permenantly live in the UK your entitlement starts on day 1.

Similar situations in Canadian provinces. But as bureaucrats rarely communicate between departments, particularly at different governmental levels, the health service isn't aware of one's comings and goings unless one tells them. They would need specific information or complaints before they could even ask for immigration information about one's exit and entry to the country.

I suspect Norway would be similar. Therefore, the advice for the friend of the OP is: Don't tell 'em!