Best Sim Offer

mike111

It looks like there are two different versions of that model. One supports 850/2100 MHz 3G, the other supports 900/2100 MHz 3G.

Where did you but the phone? Do you happen to know which version you have?

I'm guessing you may have the 900/2100 version so may be limited to AIS/One-2-Call if you require 3G. I'm not certain if 2100 MHz 3G is currently available to pre-paid customers?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/573846-what-works-where-2g-3g-coverage-maps-thailand/

Edited by lomatopo

900 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA (EUROPE) 850 1900 2100 MHz UMTS/HSPA (CANADA)

So it appears that AIS is your only option, unless you can get access to the 2100Mhz networks.

350 Baht + 7% VAT Free AIS Music Store 1 GB - *133*41#icon_telephone.gif to apply package to an AIS Net SIM(69 baht)

SMS Package 50 SMS 50 baht + VAT *138*12*008615#icon_telephone.gif to apply package to an AIS Net SIM. When you've used up the 50 SMS, I'm not sure if you can just apply a new package on top or whether you'll have to call them to cancel old and apply new.

as I understand, the phone is quad band, so it supports all the gsm networks.

the model ID is u20i, if that helps. I've used it before in thailand with 12call.

TIA

Correct, quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) so it will work with AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC/Happy, TrueMove H for GSM voice, text and low speed GSM data (2G: GPRS/EDGE).

What we were trying to determine is of you could use 3G. DO you have any requirements for higher speed, mobile data?

Correct, quad-band GSM (850/900/1800/1900) so it will work with AIS/One-2-Call, DTAC/Happy, TrueMove H for GSM voice, text and low speed GSM data (2G: GPRS/EDGE).

as I understand, the phone is quad band, so it supports all the gsm networks.

What we were trying to determine is of you could use 3G. DO you have any requirements for higher speed, mobile data?

ok, tnx.

Yes, I need to access the internet at reasonable speeds (3G).

TIA

Edited by mike111

Yes, I need to access the internet at reasonable speeds (3G).

I'm still not sure which version you have. Do you use 3G wherever you live now? If so, which provider? With that detail we can possibly figure out what your phone is capable of.

Have you used 3G in previous visits to Thailand?

That model is a bit long in the tooth, have you considered a newer model?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm reviving this thread with a followup question.

My x10 mini pro seems to be using the 2100 3G band.

I'm using an AIS Freedom 3G simcard. I was excited about a 3G connection, but in practice I see the 3G connection is established for 50% or less of the time, and degrades to 2G.

I'm using my mobile for internet and voip.

My question is: should I stick with the AIS 3G sim, or should I buy a 2G sim (AIS or another carrier) and perhaps get a better deal there (data-wise)?

TIA

Have you subscribed to a 3G data plan? If so, which one.

How do you know when you have a 3G connection? Are you relying on information displayed in the status bar?

Can you share any details:

Settings, About phone, Status: Network:? 52003 is the native AIS 2100 MHz network. Mobile network type: ?

APN: Settings, Wireless & networks, Mobile networks, Access Point Names?

In theory, with a properly configured phone, a subscribed 3G volume-based mobile data plan and 2100 MHz coverage you should be getting 3G.