Flora Margarine ... 2 For 1 Sale

mallmagician

Just a heads up... rimping meechok has flora on a 2 for 1 deal at the moment. If you use a lot as I do get them while they last.

Use by date is September on the ones I grabbed. Of course unless you get the flora light, you can also freeze maragarine and it should be good for 8 or 9 months beyond its use by date.

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

So ignore this thread then...

I know margarine is no healthier than butter... but I didnt start this thread to discuss all this stuff.

Back on track... those that do eat Flora (against our fellow posters advice), now know its on sale cheap.

Added bonus. Flies dont go near it. So ideal for picnics, thai outside kitchens etc. :huh:

• Like 2

I would say it is no worse than any other margarine and better that most. A lot further away from paint than one molecule I would think . I might be wrong but, if you like it I think it seems a good deal.

maybe someone could find 2 for 1 drinks.......How the heck is CNX going to be a world class city with hot dogs for breakfast, margarine sales as a news item, and an obvious diabetes epidemic looming? I expect MCD to have menus in Mandarin in the near future, as the Chinese seem to be more into it than a kindergarten class of Mexican kids.

www.garrettsiga.com/weeklyads Imperial is 25 thb per quarter at my old grocery store. 190 thb per kg for good cheese.

Edited by Thighlander

Would the name Flora imply that it is made from flower seeds?

I tried a similar one called Meadowlark or someting and it tasted pretty good and made from flower seeds so not unhealthy. (i dont think)

Yeah it's sunflower oil based. Its probably the uks leading brand of margarine.

As with any fats its not great for you. But with omega 3 and 6 it contains some fats you actually need in your diet unlike butter. But you could get these through other means such as fish.

Me... I like the taste and spreadable right from the fridge.

I use butter for baking etc but for on sandwiches and toast I like flora.

"I tried a similar one called Meadowlark or someting and it tasted pretty good and made from flower seeds so not unhealthy."

I think you mean good ol' Aussie Meadow Lea KRS1.

You oughta be....congratulated!biggrin.png

Hydrogenated oils (margarine is emulsified hydrogenated oils) have trans fats that provide no health benefits to human health. 

Flora has no hydrogenated oils....

Not all spreads are the same...

Before jumping in and condemning a product at least get your facts straight....

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flora_(margarine)

Before I say anything else I just want to get my facts straight, do you have any association or business interests with Flora, Rimping, Meechok or any oil producers or vegetable growers? Posted Image

Nope. Was just trying to be nice to those that may appreciate the heads up.

• Like 1

Those of us involved in retail know there's always a reason behind a "deal" Posted Image

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2338582/Shoppers-win-Flora-taste-fight-Margarine-performs-embarrassing-U-turn-customers-complained-new-taste.html

The failed recipe stuff has been "dumped".

This is original flora I bought. Tastes the same as ive always known.

They have other varieties of flora there too.

Im not sure the new recipe theyve u turned on was ever available over here. Ive not noticed a flavour difference anyway.

Perhaps you could list the ingredients and/or the nutritional information......

Don't know about Flora but Flora pro active

Dietary sources of sterols

Using Flora pro-active will produce a higher cholesterol-lowering effect than could be achieved through diet alone, but not more than could be achieved using a combination of healthy diet and regular exercise. Furthermore, dietary modification and exercise produce long-term effects, while the effect of plant sterols lasts only as long as you continue to take them. Stop using Flora pro-activ and your cholesterol will return to previous levels.

There is no such thing as sterol deficiency, and with a few modifications most of us can get all the plant sterols we need from our diets. On average, 100g of fresh vegetables contain between 5 and 40 mg of plant sterols. Fresh fruit contains between 2 and 30 mg of plant sterols per 100g. Nuts and seeds, however, are the richest sources – sprouting seeds can have up to 120mg sterols per 100g.

Their ubiquity in fruits and vegetables could be taken as evidence that what many nutritionists have been saying for years may actually be true – that the hunter-gatherer diet, which contains a high level of plants and seeds, may really be the one that healthy humans were meant to eat.

INGREDIENTS: Water, vegetable oils (including sunflower oil), plant sterol esters (12.5%), modified tapioca starch, salt (1.0%), buttermilk Emulsifiers: Mono- and di-glycerides of fatty acids, sunflower lecithin, Preservative: Potassium sorbate, citric acid, vitamin E, flavouring, vitamin B6, folic acid Colour: Beta carotene, Vitamins A, D and B12

_________________________________________________________________________________

PLANT STEROL ESTERS: Cholesterol-lowering additive.

Interferes with absorption of some fatsoluble vitamins, principally carotenes. Potential hormone disrupters. Not proven safe for children or pregnant women.

VEGETABLE OIL: Basic ingredient. The description on the label, “including sunflower oil” suggests that Flora is a mix of different oils. This mix can change from batch to batch according to the market price of the various oils. Most vegetable oils in processed foods are based on corn or sunflower oil, high in omega-6 fatty acids. Over-consumption of omega-6 is linked to cancer, immune system damage, hormone imbalance, heart disease and stroke.

MONO- AND DI-GLYCERIDES OF FATTY ACIDS (E471), SUNFLOWER LECITHIN:Emulsifiers. This spread is a mixture of oil and water. Emulsifiers hold the mix together. Fatty acid esters are also commonly used in junk foods to keep them from getting stale. Flora’s use of sunflower lecithin is in response to consumer worries about the GM status of the world’s soya. Sunflower products tend to be GM-free.

MODIFIED TAPIOCA STARCH: Thickener, stabiliser. Modified food starch is a starch that has been treated physically or chemically to modify one or more of its properties. This all-purpose thickener is derived from cassava root or yucca plants and is at home in spreads as it is in adhesives, explosives, paper manufacture, and textile finishings. It is not a substance found in nature, it adds no nutritional value and there is no information on its health effects.

FLAVOURINGS: Adds taste. Flavourings can be mixes of several synthetic chemicals. Essentially perfumes by another name, they will be derived from petrochemicals and contain the same range of neurotoxins, carcinogens and allergens as found in all perfumes.

This article first appeared in the Ecologist April 2007

76525.jpg

Like the fruit juices, they are able to say it's part sunflower oil, even though it might be 5%. They do the same thing with the olive oil "blends."

I'm not a fitness guru or a health foods addict. I have struggled with my weight in my post football years. Bread and spaghetti are two things that will make you fat quickly. A Brit told me just the other day he went on the BBC Diet....NO Bread, Bisquits, or Cake.........