Most direct route to Pailin Boarder?

marinediscoking

I am going to be driving to Pailin soon for a visa run. My GPS directs me to work my way over to the 344 taking that south to chanthaburi instead of getting on the 36 or Sukum. out of Pattaya.

I was wondering which route the visa runs take, or the best way from someone who has done it?

When I did these trips myself, I would always take 36 to Rayong, Kleang, Chantaburi and then north to Pong Nam Ron on 317. The visa run mini busses also takes this route.

344 takes you into Kleang, not Chantaburi. That route is longer and parts of it would be more heavily trafficked as well.

Been a while since I did one last, different visa these days. However I would always go to Prum instead of Pailin, lot less people there and slightly closer.

The OP's GPS is probably defaulting to the shortest driven route but some of that will be on 2-way highways which means it is slower. The other way via divided highway looks longer but should be quickest.

How about taking the 36 route TO your destination and then the more leisurely 344 route on the 'no pressure' return leg? See something different and maybe find out if it is quicker?

I've always considered the 344 route farther, however since you though the OP's GPS defaulted to this route due to it being shorter, I had to plug it into Google maps to confirm my believes. It turns out the 344 route is 20 Km farther than using 36, it also comes out about 15 minutes longer, if you're to believe their time calculations.

Like you're idea about taking 36 there and 344 back for comparison, and some different scenery.

• Like 2