Visiting US with my kid

Hello,

I'll travel to US with my kid and I've few questions on passport to use, need of letter from his mum etc.

here is the situation

- My kid is 10y old, with both Thai and EU passport

- I'll travel with him to US for 3 weeks holiday, my Thai wife cannot join for this trip

- Airline advise to issue my kid ticket only with one Surname, so we use the EU passport ( no Visa required to US)

Now the questions:

- when we will leave Thailand, he will exit the Country using his Thai passport but the ticket will be with a different Surname. I don't want to have problem with the Immigration, do you know if there is any issue on exit with Thai passport without the Thai surname in the plane ticket?

- When we will arrive in US, we will enter with EU passport, no issue. As my wife will be not with us, I will need any document, letter from her?

If yes, please specify what exactly is needed, for example letter with stamp from US Embassy or just a normal letter with her passport copy and signature is enough?

Any other advice, I would like to have a nice holiday without incident in Thai or US Immigration.

We usually have two surname in the ticket for him and usually my wife fly with us when we travel abroad but this time is

Appreciate all your advice

Thanks

Alex

@ theoldgit:

thanks for your answer, actually I know about ESTA as will also need to apply.

The issues are:

He cannot leave Thailand using the EU Passport as does not have his Thai Suname in it and he never enter Thailand with that passport, I will need to use his Thai passport to exit Thailand. The ticket was issued according to his EU passport so:

option A - He can still use his Thai passport, even with different surname with his air ticket, no issue from the Thai immigration

option B - Apply for Visa in the US Embassy with his Thai passport and change the ticket with his Thai Surname

If he can pass the Thai immigration with a ticket that have a surname different from his passport, I will go for option A but I want to be sure I will not have any issue at the airport

The other problem is about my wife that does not travel with us. I don't know if I will need any letter of permission from my wife, need to be notarized etc. as I don't want to have any problem when we exit Thailand or when we enter US ( and if we use option B, he will enter US with a different surname and different nationality than me)

I hope someone have similar case and can give me some help here

Thanks

Alex

What is a EU passport? Never heard of one. Passports are issued from a country that you are a citizen of. The US immigration office is going to have a big laugh if you tell him/her you are from EU.

People travel every day with dual nationalities, and encounter few or any problem.

When you check in show the passport issued in the EU, all the airline are concerned with is that the ticket and passport match and that he has permission to travel to the final destination.

When you clear immigration use the Thai passport, have the EU passport on hand in case the Immigration Officer asks why the name on the boarding card and the passport don't match, I cannot see there being a problem as it happens all the time.

Obviously the EU passport will be used to enter an leave the US, and the Thai passport on your return to Thailand.

As I say this sort of switch happens numerous times a day and the check in staff and the Immigration Officers are used to dealing with it.

Regarding travelling without your wife there are no regulations to state that both parents should travel with their kids, that I'm aware of, but for peace of mind I would carry a letter from your wife explaining the circumstances of the trip, just in case.

Most importantly of all, have a great trip.

"Customs and Border Protection (CBP) strongly recommends that unless the child is accompanied by both parents, the adult have a note from the child's other parent . . . stating 'I acknowledge that my wife/husband/etc. is traveling out of the country with my son/daughter/group. He/She/They has/have my permission to do so.' CBP also suggests that this note be notarized. While CBP may not ask to see this documentation, if we do ask, and you do not have it, you may be detained until the circumstances of the child traveling without both parents can be fully assessed. Adults traveling with children should also be aware that, while the U.S. does not require this documentation, many other countries do."

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/268/~/children---child-traveling-with-one-parent-or-someone-who-is-not-a-parent-or