Thai govt mega project: Floodwater diversion channel may never be built

webfact

GOVT MEGA PROJECT
'Floodwater diversion channel may never be built'

Pongphon Sarnsamak
The Nation

Engineers' body says thousands of people will have to be relocated

BANGKOK: -- The government's plan to build a flood-diversion channel on both sides of the Chao Phraya River may never be completed because it would require tens of thousands of residents to be relocated, the Engineering Institute of Thailand (EIT) said yesterday.

And if the project does not get completed within a five-year deadline, the government may end up being sued by contractors for compensation - if they are unable to complete the job due to strong opposition by local residents.

The government is expected to finalise bid winners after talks on project prices and costs were completed last week.

During the first phase, the government will have to pay Bt35 billion to Bt40 billion in advance to the contractors.

While advance payment is part of the process, the government could lose this money if environmental and health impact assessments for projects fail to be approved because of a lack of participation by local residents, EIT president Suwat Chaopreecha told the press yesterday.

"We want the government to reveal the contracts it is signing with eligible bidders so people would know details such as how much money is being spent on each project," he said.

The EIT also expressed concerns about the potential of the huge scheme, which will be divided into nine modules, especially the flood-diversion channel under the A5 module worth Bt153 billion.

Suwattana Jitraladakorn, chair of the EIT's water-resources engineering sub-panel, the 300-kilometre flood-diversion channel on the west of the Chao Phraya, starting in Kamphaeng Phet province and ending in Samut Sakhon and Phetchaburi provinces, will require the expropriation of large amounts of land.

The EIT estimates that more than 10,000 households will need to be relocated, which would cost the government a huge amount in compensation.

He also expressed concern about the impact the project would have on the level of water in the Chao Phraya, especially during the dry season, because the channel will divert about 1,200 cubic metres of water per second from the Ping River.

The Ping is one of the four main tributaries that flow into the Chao Phraya.

FLOODS MAY WORSEN

Water diversion from the Ping during the rainy season will also increase the amount of water in the Ta Chin and Mae Khlong Rivers, which will inundate areas located along these two rivers.

In a related development, an environmental network led by the Seub Nakasathien Foundation presented a petition to the government yesterday demanding that the water project be suspended.

The network wants the government to follow the Constitution, which requires the authorities to conduct environmental and health impact assessments and open the door to public participation before giving a green light to construction.

"The Cabinet must take responsibility for any damage if they insist on going ahead with the plan without conducting any assessments or listening to local people," said Hannarong Yaowalers, who chairs the Foundation for Integrated Water Management.

The Royal Irrigation Department is planning to hold a public event in Nakhon Pathom on Thursday to inform locals about a study on the flood-diversion channel west of the Chao Phraya. Three consultant companies conducted the study.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-18

Environmental impact assessments in Thailand are simply a dream. The data given would be as credible as a Yingluck speach. Surveys of this nature are not deemed praticle owing to the fact that they are costly and easlly debunked if wrong and therefore they do not provide the cash cow needed by these greedy and inefectual idiots.

• Like 1

"Protect Bangkok, ONLY BANGKOK, and screw the rest of Thailand"

That is and always will be the plan In Thailand's vicious political cycles.

Well Bangkok is built around the river's delta and in party will be on what in historic times would have been a flood plain, so needs more protection compared to a rural area.

However these big engineering projects that are preventative and involve displacement of lot of people requires the buy-in hearts and minds of the people affected. Because they will be the first to complain when the waters rise again and they wonder why they have wet feet and loose their jobs and belonging from flooded out businesses.

Flooding will happen again and it will have major effects on people and the nation's economy.

I wonder if dredging of the river is carried out often enough or efficiently ?

TIT. Did you really think it really would be built unless 50% of the funds where diverted to "grease the skid?" Doesn't leave much money left to build anything.

Thailand should take lessons from the US. Just bulk up you military to the point that no one around can appose you, then do what you want with other countries resources. Thailand is still a novice player in corruption. America has it honed to a science.

^#36 Thai at Heart
"Has there been any budget allocated for relocation and compensation for loss of property?"

Even with the lack of details on the projects it seems unlikely a budget for relocation/compensation is included in the THB 304 billion foreseen for the projects. Still that would leave 46 billion (out of the 350 billion) to be used for that. Unfortunately all money must be contractually bound as the special decree for 350 billion will expire end of this month. As getting contracts signed ASAP is very important to this government the costs of relocation/compensation may have to come out of the regular National Budget (starting 2013/2014) which would increase the currently programmed deficit of only 250 billion.

Has there been any budget allocated for relocation and compensation for loss of property?

Ask not what your country can do for you. Ask yourself what you can do for your country. (uttered by a Master shyster.)

TIT. Did you really think it really would be built unless 50% of the funds where diverted to "grease the skid?" Doesn't leave much money left to build anything.

Thailand should take lessons from the US. Just bulk up you military to the point that no one around can appose you, then do what you want with other countries resources. Thailand is still a novice player in corruption. America has it honed to a science.

Here we go again. America blamed for Thailand's incompetence and corruption. At least in America the media will expose corruption and guilty parties from the top down usually ending up with ruined careers, prison, etc. regardless of their social status and bankroll. At least in America the government would never implement the insane idea of using boat propellors to divert water during a flood crisis in the capital city. I could go on and on but regardless there will always be America haters to shoulder the blame for other countries woes. Imagine a world without America and start brushing up on your Russian, Mandarin Chinese and forget about posting negative comments on the government unless you want to spend some time as a political prisoner singing the American Blues.wai2.gif

Edited by rbrooks
  • Like 2

It's what happens when you put all your economic eggs in one basket. If Bangkok is not protected, there is no economic engine left to rebuild the rest of the country. I don't think the government is saying, "Screw the rest of the country" but evaluating the relative value of losses. Bangkok happens to be where all the wealth and infrastructure is concentrated.

Ideas like the SMART tunnel system in KL that provide additional roads as well as emergency flood relief need to be considered: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMART_Tunnel no need to remove residents for these and could be paid by tolls over the years (if not pocketed as usual)

It would such a "smart" tunnel in Bangkok if it's below sea level.

It's what happens when you put all your economic eggs in one basket. If Bangkok is not protected, there is no economic engine left to rebuild the rest of the country. I don't think the government is saying, "Screw the rest of the country" but evaluating the relative value of losses. Bangkok happens to be where all the wealth and infrastructure is concentrated.

Bangkok, and infrastructure ??? Seriously??? I must have missed something that looks too good on the surface then....

It does not have to be that way. Ruling a country is not about managing wealth only. The first and foremost important is to provide security for every citizen.

I don't think this is the only option to go about.

If I were one of the policy makers, the first option I will consider is to use paddy farms to become additional flood retention areas when they are needed. I would say it could the cheapest way to go about. My estimate is it is far less than THB 350billion.

It does not have to be that way. Ruling a country is not about managing wealth only. The first and foremost important is to provide security for every citizen.

If I were one of the policy makers, the first option I will consider is to use paddy farms to become additional flood retention areas when they are needed. I would say it could the cheapest way to go about. My estimate is it is far less than THB 350billion.

Have to agree with the paddy farms. Government pays for the rice not grown, same price as when it is. Only difference is it rots in the field instead of the warehouse.

Have to agree with the paddy farms. Government pays for the rice not grown, same price as when it is. Only difference is it rots in the field instead of the warehouse.

Slightly better than that if you can't see. Says you need 3billion cubic meters of additional water retention capacity to deal with the biggest flood in 100 years , or Average Recurrence Interval (ARI) of 100 years. Farmers can grow paddy as nothing had and will happen. The government may need their farms at most twice over 100 years to store 3billion cubic meters of water. In the case of no flood just Bussiness As Usual scenario for the farmers. If the government needs to channel the flood water to their farms the government shall guarantee the farmers get every Bath of their yields and the consequence hardship.

You see. This approach may not only the cheapest way to avoid the USD 80 billion flood damage once in 50 years but it is very efficient too. The productivity of the farm lands is affected at most 3 months in 100 years, i.e. during extreme floods.

Do you think Thailand needs THB 350 billion to implement this scheme?

Edited by ResX