using my mobile with dtac to call a US toll free number

I have always thought that calling a US toll free number from Thailand would still cost your plan rate per minute. Someone on another thread mentioned that they called the US and did not see any reduction to their money.

The member wrote the following,

"By the way, Schwab has the ONLY truly toll-free telephone number I have ever encountered. You can call Schwab toll free from your Thai cell phone by dialing 001-800-1165-6066-8. It will not take one baht off your phone."

Any thoughts?

Edited by vagabond48

Some U.S. companies provide international toll-free access, especially to select segments of their customer base. I know United Airlines does this for their 1K frequent flyers.

To access these numbers locally at no charge from a mobile or fixed line you can dial one of two AT&T international access numbers:

which presents the AT&T 'bong', then dial the (internationally-sponsored) toll-free number, like 800 nnn-nnnn

Obviously there are VoIP options: Skype, magicJack, Google Voice/GrooVeIP which give straight-up access to any/all toll-free numbers.

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 1

I doubt it's true. 800 numbers are only free inside of the US.

Why don't you call for a minute and test out the theory for a few baht? I'll sponsor 50 satang of this test.

I'll PM you my paypal account so you can transfer the 50 satang.

I use skype to call US toll free numbers but a good part of the time the connection is quite bad. I have had a few supervisors from a number of banks call me back on my mobile when the skype connection was bad.

I would love to use my mobile to call them (for free). It appears this is wishful thinking.

Edited by vagabond48

Dear Vagabond,

What an odd post. Why didn't you just try it?

That was me that posted, by the way. All I can say is try it. It is to Schwab. I also have DTAC. If you don't believe me, dial *101*9# to get your DTAC balance. Then call Schwab and talk to them for five minutes or so; ask about accounts or whatever. Then hang up and call *101*9# to get your balance again. Not one baht will be gone. If I turn out to be a liar (not sure why I would make this up), the only thing you will be out is a few baht. When you find out it works, though, you should come back and post the results of your research.

You may have noticed that it is not an ordinary number. It has the wrong number of digits. but it works.

You may also not believe that Schwab refunds any ATM charges you sustain while using their debit card anywhere in the world. But that has already been verified by many members on this forum. When you test the number, you might want to look into getting an account.

The strangest thing of all is that instead of trying it, you started a whole new thread to ask other members what they thought. You have way too much time on your hands.

Dear Vagabond,

That was me that posted, by the way. All I can say is try it. It is to Schwab. I also have DTAC. If you don't believe me, dial *101*9# to get your DTAC balance. Then call Schwab and talk to them for five minutes or so; ask about accounts or whatever. Then hang up and call *101*9# to get your balance again. Not one baht will be gone. If I turn out to be a liar (not sure why I would make this up), the only thing you will be out is a few baht. When you find out it works, though, you should come back and post the results of your research.

You may have noticed that it is not an ordinary number. It has the wrong number of digits. but it works.

You may also not believe that Schwab refunds any ATM charges you sustain while using their debit card anywhere in the world. But that has already been verified by many members on this forum. When you test the number, you might want to look into getting an account.

The strangest thing of all is that instead of trying it, you started a whole new thread to ask other members what they thought. You have way too much time on your hands.

Are you serious?

1, the focus of my post was to determine if in general one can make toll free calls on ones mobile and I was using an anonymous quote.to show an example of someone who had.

2, I didn't mention your name.

3, I had both high yield schwab debit cards for over 5 years and used them as my main source of cash. so I know about their benefits.

4. Nothing wrong in asking about some information. The fact that you took the time to respond says something about your time allocation.

5. Lighten up smile.png

Edited by vagabond48

Dear Vagabond,

Are you serious?

1, the focus of my post was to determine if in general one can make toll free calls on ones mobile and I was using an anonymous quote.to show an example of someone who had.

2, I didn't mention your name.

3, I had both high yield schwab debit cards for over 5 years and used them as my main source of cash. so I know about their benefits.

4. Nothing wrong in asking about some information. The fact that you took the time to respond says something about your time allocation.

5. Lighten up smile.png

Since I don't have a lot of time for the computer, I subscribe to the TV "Today's Best TV Topics" list, which I scan every morning for items of interest. Since I have DTAC and often have to call the US, your topic caught my eye. I was surprised to see the quote from me -- only surprised -- not in any way offended. And it would have been fine with me to identify me as well. My response was merely the product of surprise.

If I was a Schwab customer and did NOT have that number and saw a post about it, I would have tried it immediately, as I do have to call Schwab from time to time.

I don't think I need to "lighten up," as my ONLY intent, both with my original post and my reply to you was/is to help people who regularly deal with Schwab from overseas. I was hoping to stimulate you to try the number so you could post your success story. I am sorry you took it the wrong way. Instead of stimulating you to try it, it seems as if I've only stimulated a pissing match. At least your post gave the toll free number some more press, so maybe it helped somebody.

• Like 1

My broker (Vanguard) and US credit card companies have toll free numbers, but they also offer overseas callers the option to call collect. I use the AT&T number in Thailand 001 999 111 11. There's no charge to my mobile account.

When the AT&T recording starts, the woman asks for your credit card number, but if you just wait a moment she will then ask if you want to call collect or with operator assistance. Since my broker and credit card companies in the US also use an automated answering system to say that they accept collect calls, it usually works out best if you tell AT&T you want "operator assistance" to make a collect call and then tell the AT&T operator that a machine is going to answer in the US.

Never had a problem and never been charged for the call no matter how long I stayed on the line.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

"Universal International Freephone Numbers

International Freephone Numbers are an exception to the rules above.
These numbers are assigned a separate country code which is 800. Calls
to these numbers are free when dialed from certain
countries
that have adopted this system. Not many companies have an
International Freephone # due to high costs involved with subscribing
to this service.

Dialing an international toll free number is the same as placing an international
call to a country with country code 800. For example, dialing from the
US you would enter: 011 + 800 + ???? ????.
"

This would appear to be what Schwab is using. There are a slew of countries in the list and Thailand is one of them.

Edited by oneday

If you have a smart phone (or anyone reading this), get the app "MagicJack". It allows free calls to US and Canada, via wi-fi.

It works from any country outside North America. All land lines, cell phones, as well as 1-800, 1-866, etc.

• Like 1

If you have a smart phone (or anyone reading this), get the app "MagicJack". It allows free calls to US and Canada, via wi-fi.

It works from any country outside North America. All land lines, cell phones, as well as 1-800, 1-866, etc.

I already have skype and toll free calls but I am not pleased with usual quality of connections.

Does MagicJack have a much better connection?

I feel like I am back in the states where every one has an expensive phone and worries about the cost of long distance.

The only supposedly tole free numbers I call are my visa cards they have a number on the back for international calls. I never check them but I have noticed that there seems to be little difference between what I remembered from the last time I checked them. Some of the calls can take a while so I know if there is a charge it is only for the time it takes them to answer the phone.

I use one to call

Does MagicJack have a much better connection?

I tried the magicJack Android app. briefly. It seemed to work OK - I also have a magicJack VoIP adapter - the first generation, a USB module - and a current account, but there was no way to shut it off and it seemed to drain my battery in a few minutes.

My mJ VoIP adapter works fine, calls to/from the U.S. sound fine, with no discernible delay.

I also have a Google Voice number, and use GrooVeIP on my Android phone for free calls to/from the U.S. I actually use this method most now as it gives me the most flexibility and mobility, and remains free through 2013, at least.

I feel like I am back in the states where every one has an expensive phone and worries about the cost of long distance.

Most people in the U.S. paid $200 or less for a subsidized phone- which might cost 21,000 baht here, and have some quantity of voice and data bundled into their plan. Most people don't worry about long distance (not international) calls. Note that in the U.S. we pay for both out-going and in-coming calls.

If you are unsure if the toll-free number you are calling is also free for internationally originated calls simply dial one of the two local AT&T access numbers, then enter the 8xx number. If it is free for calls originated here it will go through. If not, you would be prompted for payment. maybe via an AT&T calling card, or be able to opt out for an operator.

If you are with DTAC you can use the 004 prefix to dial a toll free number in the U.S. 004 1 8xx nnn-nnnn. This will cost 3.21 baht/min.

Edited by lomatopo

To dial the USA, Suradit dials 001 while Oneday dials 011.

Just wondering if both are correct.

And can anyone confirm the prefix applies to all of North America, ie both the USA and Canada?

Could you clarify for me, please, what digits I need to dial to connect with TDVisa CANADA which on the back of their card reads 1-866-222-3456. Note it reads simply '1' as opposed to 001 or 011.

Dialling these 800/866 numbers to reach banks, government, companies, etc, in my limited experience proved costly, listening to 'elevator' music and being put 'on hold', as time and the costs relentlessly tick ever skyward.

I am pleased I came across this topic, and am grateful to all of you for your contributions and enlightenment.

Cheers, all....

#9 Suradit69: ' I use the AT&T number in Thailand 001 999 111 11. There's no charge to my mobile account."

#11 oneday: " Dialing an international toll free number is the same as placing an international
call to a country with country code 800. For example, dialing from the US you would enter: 011 + 800 + ???? ????."

Just wondering if both are correct.

And can anyone confirm the prefix applies to all of North America, ie both the USA and Canada?

The country code for the U.S. and Canada is "1". So you would/could dial 001, or +1, the former if your device does not have a plus sign, followed by the ten digits. You could also use other lower-cost prefixes like 009, 008, 004, 006, 005 which are various and sundry alternatives offered by TOT, CAT, DTAC, True and AIS, followed by "1", so 009 1 8xx nnn-nnnn.

"011" is an international access code used to replace "+", when originating calls from within the U.S./Canada and calling outside the "1" country code.

Alternatives for lower-cost calling to North America includes VoIP and calling cards.

Could you clarify for me, please, what digits I need to dial to connect with TDVisa CANADA which on the back of their card reads 1-866-222-3456

001 866 222 3456

+1 866 222 3456

or 00n 1 866 222 3456

where n= 4, 5, 6, 8, 9: for alternative lower-cost routing, typically over IP.

Edited by lomatopo

Vonage also have an app for iOS or Android that offers free calls to all numbers in North America. Works on WiFi or 3G and I find the call quality to be better than Skype, with fewer dropouts using slower connections. It also does Vonage to Vonage calls for free and I use it even to call local numbers to people that also have Vonage. The calls are free and the sound quality is better than a standard mobile call.

You can also top up Vonage from your credit card to make calls to countries other than in North America. The rates are much lower than Skype's.

Edited by bubba

Calling the USA for free, well i'm not sure if you have ever heard of Magic Jack but they do offer an App for Iphones.

i first downloaded it to my iphone to test it out and it works great. so i downloaded it to my Wife's iphone and it gave her an American number Free of charge. now the funny thing is that we can call each other no problems, but because she didn't have a MJ account, whatever number she wants to call in the USA they have to first call her from that number. crazy i know but i have a paid MJ account and i can call right through No problems.

she uses True Move for her internet service and runs MJ through them.

good luck

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...