Singapore smog caused by Indonesian forest fires sets fresh record

canman

A warning for those intending to travel to Singapore

The smoke levels here in Singapore are truely becoming very dangerous. Visibility this morning is less than 250m, my eyes are burning and people are walking around with masks on to try and filter the air. It is not unusual to have smoke in Singapore from Indonesia at this time of year however it is breaking records now with the PSI above 300 each day. Local news is saying that this could persist for weeks.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/352748

• Like 2

Singapore smog caused by Indonesian forest fires sets fresh record

SINGAPORE: -- Pollution levels reached a new record high for a third day in a row in Singapore, as smoky haze from fires in Indonesia shrouded the city state. The Pollutant Standards Index (PSI) hit 400 at 11:00 on Friday (03:00 GMT) - the highest in the country's history.

The haze is also affecting Malaysia, with another 100 schools closed in the south of the country.
Singaporean Prime Minister Lee Hsieng Loong warned on Thursday that the haze could remain in place for weeks.

"We can't tell how this problem is going to develop because it depends on the burning, it depends on the weather, it depends on the wind," he said.

"It can easily last for several weeks and quite possibly it could last longer until the dry season ends in Sumatra which may be September or October."

A PSI reading above 300 is defined as "hazardous".

Full story: http://english.ruvr.ru/news/2013_06_21/Singapore-smog-caused-by-Indonesian-forest-fires-sets-fresh-record-5899/

-- THE VOICE OF RUSSIA 2013-06-21

• Like 1

HAZE CRISIS
Thai travellers told to avoid smog-hit Singapore

The Nation

SINGAPORE: -- The Thai Embassy in Singapore has issued a travel warning for Thais, suggesting they avoid travelling to the island state, which has been hit hard by the smog crisis.

The warning comes as Singapore suffers the highest levels of air pollution in 16 years.

The embassy recommended that Thais in Singapore as well as those with plans to travel there closely monitor the haze situation, which is expected to continue for the next few weeks, by visiting the website of the National Environment Agency at nea.gov.sg

It said the smog index has hit the critical 400 level, making it potentially life threatening to the sick, elderly, children, pregnant women as well as those suffering from heart and lung disease. The record level was reached after a rapid rise in the Pollutant Standards Index (PSI), which measures the haze crisis caused by Indonesian forest fires.

It also recommended avoiding open-air activities for extended periods and wearing an N-95 mask for any outdoor activities.

Concerning Thai workers in Singapore, the embassy said it was cooperating with the labour office in Singapore to inform employers and workers about the situation. The employers have been instructed to supply masks to workers and to allow the workers to suspend their work with pay if the situation worsens.

The embassy has set up an ad hoc centre to monitor the situation. It can be contacted by phone at (+65) 8421 0105 and (+65) 8289 8934 or by email at [email protected].

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-21

strange that the thai embassy in any country does not give a warning to their walking ATM clients, when the north of thailand is filled in smoke for several weeks / months per month (beginning of year)

The Singaporeans have a no nonsense government, and style, so sending in fire bombers wouldn't be out of the question, with or without the approval of the Indonesian government, one not known for its sense of responsibility or common sense actions, evidenced by their tacit approval of people trafficking.

Edited by F4UCorsair

Today is the worst day so far. This could last for weeks.

Been on the news worldwide. I feel for you guys, knowing what it's like to function in such a smoke-filled environment (Chiang Mai, afterall, around March-April). It must be particularly frustrating for the Singaporean government to be powerless to do anything. It just goes to show that no matter how strict you are with regards to pollution in your own country, there's not much you can do about your neighbor. That's one of my biggest fears being in such close proximity to China.

Been on the news worldwide. I feel for you guys, knowing what it's like to function in such a smoke-filled environment (Chiang Mai, afterall, around March-April). It must be particularly frustrating for the Singaporean government to be powerless to do anything. It just goes to show that no matter how strict you are with regards to pollution in your own country, there's not much you can do about your neighbor. That's one of my biggest fears being in such close proximity to China.

This smoke came from Indonesia

This smoke came from Indonesia

I'm sure Berkshire knows that the smoke affecting Singapore came from Indonesia. I believe his concern is for Thailand being so close to China??

Edited by F4UCorsair

The haze levels are low again today. Local reports say this is more to do with a change in the wind direction rather then fires being put out in Sumatra. Apparently KL is still suffering.

Haze level here in KL is low today, after getting a good rainfall scrubbing the air yesterday. Its somewhat worse in Port Klang just 30 km away. However, my daugther's school is still closed...

Last weekend we had planned a trip to melaka, and not knowing the conditions we went there Saturday. Haze was dreadful, and we stayed inside the hotel all the time until leaving Sunday morning.

This to show that this forest burning in Sumatra certainly has far reaching consequenses...

Haze level here in KL is low today, after getting a good rainfall scrubbing the air yesterday. Its somewhat worse in Port Klang just 30 km away. However, my daugther's school is still closed...

Last weekend we had planned a trip to melaka, and not knowing the conditions we went there Saturday. Haze was dreadful, and we stayed inside the hotel all the time until leaving Sunday morning.

This to show that this forest burning in Sumatra certainly has far reaching consequenses...

Some rain and low haze levels here in Singapore as well the last couple days. Today however is not so good with the smell of smoke in the air and visibility once again greatly reduced.