Why is it so hard to find a good nanny?

kurnell

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not quite sure why I'm joining this thread. A bunch of vitriol on a nanny thread.

Perhaps to put this in perspective, a starting salary for an undergraduate with a good Thai education would be around 15-25 k

There are many that start on a lot less.

Here we are talking about nannies on the same salary. A lot of these also include food and accom which many other jobs don't.

Just out of interest have any of these nannies demanding high salaries had any training - any Norland graduates out there?

I'm not quite sure why I'm joining this thread. A bunch of vitriol on a nanny thread.

Perhaps to put this in perspective, a starting salary for an undergraduate with a good Thai education would be around 15-25 k

There are many that start on a lot less.

Here we are talking about nannies on the same salary. A lot of these also include food and accom which many other jobs don't.

Just out of interest have any of these nannies demanding high salaries had any training - any Norland graduates out there?

Is there any nanny training in Thailand? On the job training yes.

20 plus nannies??

A reasonable person may ask why so many.

Is it the nannies at fault? or the employer?

I find it hard to fathom at times how little people think of their own flesh and blood - their children - and relate them back to baht expended.

To have a couple of kids and then complain that the hired help is no good or unreliable says more about the type of parents involved than the type of nannies they employ.

Lets face it , if you haven't got time for your own kids then it is likely you won't have much time for anyone else, nannies included. To use the excuse that you need to hire someone to look after your kids while you are too busy making money is a low excuse and can be treated with contempt (as you surely will be by your kids over time).

Your life....your choices. Stop whining.

I amazed at the mount of anger from people such as yourself that a) are clueless of my situation eg. both myself and my wife work full time and cool.png making assumptions based on nothing more than your own personal guess. This forum is full of people like you and I really don't know why you bother to respond, other than the fact that you are likely unemployed and have nothing better to do. So I suggest you take off your Luke Skywalker jim jams, turn off your computer and go out and see the world. Then come back and give me your opinion.

try looking after your own children ,,,no-one will ever be good enough for you ,,the crap wages you pay ,and you both work fulltime an embarrasment to western males,,you want a slave not a nanny,,,

making an uninformed generalization like that, you prove an embarrassment to yourself.

perhaps you could further humiliate yourself by explaining how exactly he embarrasses western manhood.

14 hours a day is illegal? Have you ever been to Thailand?

Yes, i have a business there. If you bothered to read the link from the labor act you would have known.

You are boring me enough as it is. Let's not push it eh?

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

saai.gif

i really don't get the venom. I can only suspect that many commenting have never engaged domestic help in thailand.

i also suspect that the same people vilifying the OP are the same that would condemn him for paying too much under other circumstances

• Like 2

i really don't get the venom. I can only suspect that many commenting have never engaged domestic help in thailand.

i also suspect that the same people vilifying the OP are the same that would condemn him for paying too much under other circumstances

Well said, far too much venom and ill feeling in this thread. I just checked back to see if there was any advice I could use in the future but I see the thread's been reduced to name calling and stone throwing. Seen better behaved unsupervised 4-year olds.....enough said. coffee1.gif

I can only guess at the cause of the vitriolic and trollish behaviour. Maybe there are a lot of unhappy ex-pats living in Thailand on a very limited budget and when they see someone able to afford a nanny they fly into jealous rage. There are a lot of people here that perhaps should have gone back home a long time ago when the money ran out and the party was over.

Well said, far too much venom and ill feeling in this thread. I just checked back to see if there was any advice I could use in the future but I see the thread's been reduced to name calling and stone throwing. Seen better behaved unsupervised 4-year olds.....enough said. coffee1.gif

Well... anyone with GSXR as their handle must be right :)

But aside from that, I do agree it has gone down hill and I am one of the culprits.... I didnt mean to be, but the OP has a bit of a mean streak

"Engaged" is it now ;-?

Isn't that, like, the um, "Downton Abbey"-speak you were on about in the middle of this thread ?

Do get over yourself ;-)

Oh yeah.

And RIP there "kurnell" (he of three cars who's attained such giddy heights as to require domestic help.

(Nice bit of trolling, BTW. . . . for shuuure.

Nobody could be as obtuse as you've made yourself out to be.)

Phones down ;-?

Ohhh, poor bubby, did I get under your skin?

Bit of a bedfart aren't cha, there kurnell.

You're lingering

How 'bout you drag your discerning bangers an' mash pie hole over to Patts, gum your way through a plate of grease, eggs, beans,

offal and froy-bred and give a report then, eh ;-?

The great thing about the internet is that weak minded people can give themselves a handle (a mafia film character for example) and live out their fantasy anonymously when in real life they are the type of person that has had a non-existent, disappointing life and is likely hiding in a studio apartment only to come out to a beer garden with his mates to tell fanciful lies all day long. Sound familiar?

Oooooh hot fingers there kernal

Pleased to see you've checked out Donnie's checkered past.

(Even managed to screw ***that*** up, didncha ;-?)

(sigh)

Loved the fanciful lies part of your last post, kurnell.

Reminded me of your original OP whinge regarding the servant problem.

Now then; waddle on over to that glarg pit in Patts and gis your in-depth review of that grease-fest you were on about.

'ven a bigh o' foo-ghy on telly, ven, aiy, innit ?

Or some equally banal bobble-head time-waster.

Looking forward to another "sample and hold" post from you about meds, how and when to take them or that other disingenuous drivel where you castigate people here for mis-underestimating the awesome breadth of your intellect.

As for me, I'd love to continue this fascinating repartee, but I've grown weary of toning down my responses so that they don't appear like attacks on an unarmed imbecile.

(Dude, seriously, you and your ilk's raj attitude are what's really ruined much of Thailand for the rest of us.

Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Phangan and most of the naughty bars, the so-called sports bars and, well,

just simply the respectable balance between expats and Thais.

Next time you're grubbing in one of your favorite places, have a chip butty on me, will ya?

Oooooh hot fingers there kernal

Pleased to see you've checked out Donnie's checkered past.

(Even managed to screw ***that*** up, didncha ;-?)

(sigh)

Loved the fanciful lies part of your last post, kurnell.

Reminded me of your original OP whinge regarding the servant problem.

Now then; waddle on over to that glarg pit in Patts and gis your in-depth review of that grease-fest you were on about.

'ven a bigh o' foo-ghy on telly, ven, aiy, innit ?

Or some equally banal bobble-head time-waster.

Looking forward to another "sample and hold" post from you about meds, how and when to take them or that other disingenuous drivel where you castigate people here for mis-underestimating the awesome breadth of your intellect.

As for me, I'd love to continue this fascinating repartee, but I've grown weary of toning down my responses so that they don't appear like attacks on an unarmed imbecile.

(Dude, seriously, you and your ilk's raj attitude are what's really ruined much of Thailand for the rest of us.

Pattaya, Phuket, Samui, Phangan and most of the naughty bars, the so-called sports bars and, well,

just simply the respectable balance between expats and Thais.

Next time you're grubbing in one of your favorite places, have a chip butty on me, will ya?

So what you're saying is that I've got money and you ain't? Life's a bitch ain't it

I think you don't know the difference between a nanny and a cook. They are two different occupations. If you want a cook, then hire a cook, not a nanny.

And if you pay 8K, what do you expect. Not trying to be harsh here, but it seems you want someone who is a nanny, cook, cleaner all rolled into one, who will work dawn to dusk for little pay. I'm not surprised that they all left. I wouldn't even start.

If you want a nanny, then hire one and only give them nanny duties. I don't know what nannies in Thailand are like, but in the UK, a good nanny would be properly trained. They wouldn't expect to be cleaning and cooking.

Where do I say I pay 8k? Mate you are commenting on something you do not have a clue about.

Sounds like it's you that doesn't have a clue what you're on about. I suggest you read your original post, where you said... "We have also paid them anything from 8-15k". This is where I got the 8K from. You said it. Or are you now denying it?

• Like 1

I think you don't know the difference between a nanny and a cook. They are two different occupations. If you want a cook, then hire a cook, not a nanny.

And if you pay 8K, what do you expect. Not trying to be harsh here, but it seems you want someone who is a nanny, cook, cleaner all rolled into one, who will work dawn to dusk for little pay. I'm not surprised that they all left. I wouldn't even start.

If you want a nanny, then hire one and only give them nanny duties. I don't know what nannies in Thailand are like, but in the UK, a good nanny would be properly trained. They wouldn't expect to be cleaning and cooking.

Where do I say I pay 8k? Mate you are commenting on something you do not have a clue about.

Sounds like it's you that doesn't have a clue what you're on about. I suggest you read your original post, where you said... "We have also paid them anything from 8-15k". This is where I got the 8K from. You said it. Or are you now denying it?

Here it is for you chaps that love to jump aggressively and ignorantly into any subject regardless of whether you have any knowledge on the subject or not. Note that I have written 8-15k above, as you have tediously pointed out a number of times. Why do you think I have written 8 to 15 thousand? I know it's hard, but please try to think for once before you post. Who wants to have a go first? Or is it just so much easier to rant aimlessly? If you can get it all by yourself then I won't have to explain it to you.

In one word ;-?

No.

Put your money (or lack of it) where your wide mouth is. You live in a studio in Patters don't you? Rented.

No

The opportunity cost on 15 mil is about 60 to 70k minimum, isn't it ?

You'd give your eye teeth to live where I live :-)

Everybody loves this soi. Few can afford it.

I'll just leave you to suck up your palatial tomb in Patts

I need to be close to the aero ports, good services and schools and my office.

You, poor fellow should just slink off to where used car salesman, realtors and boiler room dooshes go to hang up their sweatey suit jackets and double-Windsor knotted quid-a-pop ties.

Oops, Forgot. You're among your own.

(Give it up Rumplsillskin :-)))

In one word ;-?

No.

Put your money (or lack of it) where your wide mouth is. You live in a studio in Patters don't you? Rented.

No

The opportunity cost on 15 mil is about 60 to 70k minimum, isn't it ?

You'd give your eye teeth to live where I live :-)

Everybody loves this soi. Few can afford it.

I'll just leave you to suck up your palatial tomb in Patts

I need to be close to the aero ports, good services and schools and my office.

You, poor fellow should just slink off to where used car salesman, realtors and boiler room dooshes go to hang up their sweatey suit jackets and double-Windsor knotted quid-a-pop ties.

Oops, Forgot. You're among your own.

(Give it up Rumplsillskin :-)))

I listen to your lot all the time at the pub, story after story that is nothing but fantasy, drinking large bottles of Leo, then off home to your lonely shoe-box in a foul mood wondering what happened to your life.

Wrong again.

Utterly and consistently wrong about all of it.

Btw, how's that "nanny" thing working out for you now that you've learned the difference between a nanny and a slave ?

My guess is that no one wants to work for a bully.

I don't do pubs, drink Leo or buy real estate here, tomb-boy.

• Like 1

As you stagger around this discussion, pillar to post assigning roles and lifestyles to us all and painting all the decent TV posters who've tried to help you as living in small apartments and drinking cheap beer take a moment to reflect on what that says about you.

You are an existential masturbator.

Nobody's going to work for you and when you blow out and nobody but a "greater fool" is going to buy your Patts palace when you need to sell it.

Patts: the only spot on the planet where real estate is a depreciating asset class. ;-)

• Like 1