AMLO asked to probe Thai monk's assets

webfact

ANTI-MONEY LAUNDERING OFFICE
AMLO asked to probe monk's assets

The Nation

30209054-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Facebook network against acts that destroy kingdom, religion and monarchy, on Tuesday urged the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO) to probe the assets of Si Sa Ket monastery monk Luang Pu Nenkham.

The monk has recently been at the centre of a lot of negative publicity after a video clip of him on board a private jet, sporting brandname sunglasses and a Louis Vuitton bag went viral.

The monk however remained abroad hence didn't explain himself yet.

Submitting the request to AMLO deputy chief Suwanee Sawaengpol, the network chairman Songkran Atchariyasap urged the agency to probe and announce the result to the public.

If the monk was guilty, the agency should freeze all transactions immediately because there might be some beneficiary parties that are influential persons.

He said group would also file a similar request for probe to the Crime Suppression Police on Thursday.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-25

Ever been to the Vatican / St. Peter's Basilica ?

They have been playing this extortion racket for nearly 2000 years...give us your money or your soul will burn in h*ll

you are right on the money there ,,,,thay say hell,but no-ones been there to confirm it exists,,,mmmmmmmmm

• Like 1

Apparently there was no need to write the story in english

If the monk was guilty, the agency should freeze all transactions immediately because there might be some beneficiary parties that are influential persons.

umm what?

as an aside, the monk deserves a good probing, but not necessarily by AMLO

Edited by joeaverage
  • Like 1

They have been playing this extortion racket for nearly 2000 years...give us your money or your soul will burn in h*ll

you are right on the money there ,,,,thay say hell,but no-ones been there to confirm it exists,,,mmmmmmmmm

Ever been to Pattaya.......?

Fear (of the unknown) - the great persuader:)

The wife tells me the monk OWNS this plane...anyone confirm?

Yep - one of the most successful crime families ever - and still going strong.

• Like 1

Is this the temple with a helipad and private helicopter? Saw some pics in the Thai press that might've indicated that. I think the Buddhist authority of Thailand (not sure of correct name) needs to put it's foot down over all these abbots in luxury cars etc. whilst so many temples in rural Thailand are in a state of disrepair.

Everyone and everything gets probed there
  • Like 1

Yep - one of the most successful crime families ever - and still going strong.

I trust that applies to ALL so called religions?
  • Like 1

I don't know but has the wife been probed? If she has she'll know for sure

So where all the money from donations go? There must be a lot of monks benefiting, lets not be naive. People give monks tons of money. Religion is a great business. Easy money.

.............Yes, I have often wondered about this.............Especially when there seems to be so much unexplained wealth being exhibited in some sections of Thai society. I think there must be a flow back into Thai society from all these 'Donations'.

Edited by SunsetT

Ever been to Luton?

I only have a superficial knowledge of Buddhism but do know it's a much revered Thai institution so just how far will this investigation go especially if the monk has rich and powerful devotees ?

I'm sure there's enough wiggle room to say he should not have accepted and kept all the " gifts " and maybe issue a mild rebuke. but little else.

Forget the religious aspect and think of it as a pure Thai situation of a powerful and well protected institution which very few will dare to take on.

I don't understand the common practice here to always point at wrongdoings in other patrs of the world. Sure, crime or breach of law happens elswhere too. So why trying to vindicate or melt down the seriousness of wrongdoings in LOS just because someone somwhere is doing the same?

• Like 1

So where all the money from donations go? There must be a lot of monks benefiting, lets not be naive. People give monks tons of money. Religion is a great business. Easy money.

Oh yes, and there is no need for a complaints department if the promises of what happens after death don't actually get delivered.

That should be easy to find out and should come out when they "wash the dirty laundry and wring him out" That type of small business jet (same M-Jet ownes) costs in excess of 20 million US$ and cost a fortune to maintain and run.

post-110827-0-29582600-1372216672_thumb.

i know personally some "rich" chinese businessmen that like to give tons of money to a WAT so that good business may continue in the comming and following years

bit stupid and all, to throw away the money, but hey,....

I don't understand the common practice here to always point at wrongdoings in other patrs of the world. Sure, crime or breach of law happens elswhere too. So why trying to vindicate or melt down the seriousness of wrongdoings in LOS just because someone somwhere is doing the same?

To answer your question -- maybe it's because so many folks on TV make such a frantic effort

to prove that Thailand is the hub of graft, corruption, greed and other common human frailties.

To answer your question -- maybe it's because so many folks on TV make such a frantic effort

to prove that Thailand is the hub of graft, corruption, greed and other common human frailties.

Funny, because the only "frantic" effort I see is the need to deny that there might ever be anything wrong with the way things are in Thailand (I define "wrong" as something antithetical to the benefit of the majority where clearly the benefit of the majority is in the interests of the society at large). Are you trying to say that in Thailand, people are generally too critical of themselves and should self-analyze less (or are you just tired of TV members disagreeing with you)? I suppose you would say that Thailand is a bastion of moral righteousness and a measuring stick for humanity at large? I'm sure in your mind, Pattaya-balcony-suicides, Bangkok rush-hour police checkpoints, one of Asia's most dangerous terrorist insurgencies and the human trafficking credentials of a former slave colony are all signs of a progressive approach to the human condition.