Several questions

rod2011

Not sure where to post this but will start here :-

I will be moving to Thailand shortly and in Chiang Mai for 1 month from the 5th July.

1) Where can I rent a scooter for 1 month in Chiang Mai ? Inexpensive, reasonably priced, good value etc etc.

2) Suggestions for health insurance ?

3) I wil be buying a scooter in August, where do I get 'fully comprehensive' insurance (1st class insurance?) to cover theft, damage, injury etc etc.

Thanks in advance

Been here for over 6 years in CM and been stopped only for no helmet and not EVER for a licence check (or anything else).

Also I doubt the fine is over 400b for no licence, so it's never even an issue then.

Edited by maps424

OP - without wanting to sound too critical, your questions imply a certain simplicity and lack of knowledge or foresight about Thailand. How many times have you been to Thailand and what do you know about the culture and ways of the country?

If you're going to live here then simple questions about hiring a scooter or insurance should be down the bottom of the list of things you want advice on.

Sorry if I'm making a wrong assumption. smile.png

Edited by Gsxrnz
  • Like 2

Can't answer the health and scooter insurance questions but can recommend a motorcycle rental place http://goo.gl/maps/O240i . There are places everywhere and perhaps plenty that are better than this but I found their prices reasonable and the bikes in decent shape. If you're only renting for a month, you may want to go ahead and pay more for something that's newer etc.

good luck with your move.

• Like 1

If you rent a scooter, make sure it is a place that doesn't hold onto your passport, just a photocopy. I'm sure some will say not an issue, but it is taking a chance that can be avoided.

Yes, never give your passport to a rental place. Only give them a copy of it and you can quote Thai law that says you must have your passport on your person or nearby at all times if they give you any grief over this issue.

Been here for over 6 years in CM and been stopped only for no helmet and not EVER for a licence check (or anything else).

Also I doubt the fine is over 400b for no licence, so it's never even an issue then.

I've not heard of any first class motorcycle insurance that doesn't require the driver to hold a valid licence.

AA has been helpful with my insurance, health and 1st class motorcycle.

minor point, but your license from your home country should also be valid for riding motocy... or... if you happen to get stopped...chances are you will face a fine.

Thanks but I do already have a 5 year Thai motorcycle licence.

OP - without wanting to sound too critical, your questions imply a certain simplicity and lack of knowledge or foresight about Thailand. How many times have you been to Thailand and what do you know about the culture and ways of the country?

If you're going to live here then simple questions about hiring a scooter or insurance should be down the bottom of the list of things you want advice on.

Sorry if I'm making a wrong assumption. smile.png

This will be my16th trip and my trips are normally 6-8 weeks long althouth the last one was 12 weeks

I have sorted out the most important already (Visa, accomodation, banking etc)

Regarding health insurance (more important than anything) what is your age?

Ooops yes a rather important point, I am 50. In the UK I use CS healthcare for my private medical insurance but they will not cover me once I move permanently.

I've not heard of any first class motorcycle insurance that doesn't require the driver to hold a valid licence.

Does AA have an office or an agent in Chiang Mai ?

Doesn't insurance come with the rental also if buying a new one is it not taken care of by the dealer?

Health travel Insurance you can get at home In the states try AAA or any insurance broker.

According to Honda garage apparently the insurance you get from the dealer only covers the minimum legal requirement and does not include theft for example.

Does AA have an office or an agent in Chiang Mai ?

Doesn't insurance come with the rental also if buying a new one is it not taken care of by the dealer?

Health travel Insurance you can get at home In the states try AAA or any insurance broker.

According to Honda garage apparently the insurance you get from the dealer only covers the minimum legal requirement and does not include theft for example.

http://www.aainsure.net/insurance_chiangmai.html

• Like 1