Visiting Thailand for a month... Advice needed please!

Neo6

Hey guys,

The GF and I are going to Thailand for a month and I'm in the planning and booking stage now trying to work it all out.

We'll be flying from Istanbul to Dubai, then Dubai to Bangkok (all with Emirates). Once we arrive in Bangkok we want to stay 3 or 4 nights and then begin the "paradise" part of the holiday. I've wanted to go to Koh Samui for a long time, so the plan is to get down there and stay around 10-12 nights.

Thing is I'm not sure where else to visit. If you include the 3/4 nights in Bangkok (another 1 or 2 on the way back) and the 10/12 nights in Koh Samui, that still leaves about 2 weeks unaccounted for.

So my questions are...

Where should we spend these 2 weeks if not Bangkok or Koh Samui? Are there any islands or parts of the country that are awesome and not a total nightmare to get to?

And does anyone have must do activities in Bangkok? For me it will be silly little things like going on a bike tour (apparently this is a great way to see the real city) and visiting one of the tiger sanctuaries. In Koh Samui I'd love to hang out with some elephants too

Our budget for the month is about $10,000 (£6,000), that's with the flights already paid for. It may sound like a decent chunk of change, but looking at the prices of hotels and you could easily spend that in a week!

Thanks for reading and any advice is greatly appreciated

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How old are you , what do you like doing. It would take years to see all of Thailand.

Give some more details and people can advise better.

Hi,

I'm 28, GF is 25

I like seeing beautiful places that aren't full of tourists (who doesn't)... I'd love to see some elephants, tigers etc. I'm not at all interested in anything sexual (shows, ladyboys and so forth)

My GF is more of the elite luxury type, so that's where the 5 star resorts/Koh Samui come into play

Not sure what else to say :)

You like seeing beautiful places that are not full of tourists correct?

Why then are you going to Samui?

Also, when are you travelling? You need to plan to avoid rainy seasons or you'll see plenty of the hotel room (which, if your gf is a babe is a plus point).

• Like 2

When are you visiting?

This is the most important point. You don't want to meet the rainy season on Samui.

Twelve days is too much there....three or four will suffice then maybe a few each on Koh Phangan and Koh Tao.

No need to spend more than 2000 Baht a night on accommodation on Samui unless you are visiting over Xmas.

• Like 1

It'd be nice to know when you'll be here. The monsoons are rapidly approaching and this will have a huge impact on Thailand...as normal. Phuket is very quiet August till early November. It rains hard and the seas are rough, making island hopping a problem as well as doing diving and other sightseeing activities. I don't think Samui is as hard hit.

Samui is extremely touristy and crowded. If you're looking for a place without many tourists, this is not the place. One of the other islands there might be better. Or even some mainland places on the beach. Some are quite stunning.

Not sure what you are looking to do. Being an ex-stressed out businessman, I sure understand the desire to just sit on a beach for a few weeks. But that might get boring. There's so much to see and do here. I'd highly recommend getting the Lonely Planet guide book for Thailand. It lays out itineraries and many things to do. The Bangkok section is very good also. Bangkok is not to be missed. 3-4 days is perfect. Take her to some of the hi-so restaurants on the roof tops of the large skyscrapers, fantastic shopping malls, and many great restaurants. Not to mention the many sightseeing places. Great fun.

Chiang Mai is fantastic also. Lots to do and see in that area. Easy to spend a few weeks there just tooling around. When you start to get your plan together, I'd recommend doing a post in the sub-forum for that area. That way the locals can help you with ideas.

If you are looking for more "risque" stuff, Pattaya is the place. The beach isn't very good, it's crowded, and the infrastructures is..well...uniquely Thai, but walking street might check your box. Lots of couples are coming here now, quite a few places for dancing and of course there are many shows. Some use strong arm techniques to separate you from your money, so keep your wits about you. But places like Tiffany's for the ladyboy show is one of the best in Thailand. Stay at the Hilton if you can. Right on top of a nice shopping mall with great views and in the middle of all the action.

If you can, please avoid elephant camps. What they do to these beautiful animals is absolutely disgusting. Google "elephant training" and look at some of the videos. There supposedly is one or two camps up in Chiang Mai that are good, but that's about it. All the others, and I mean pretty much 100%, abuse these animals just for tourist shows. Same with the tiger temple. It's highly controversial and people do get hurt seriously by the cats. Same with Elephants. We had a lady killed near us recently while feeding one on the beach (which is illegal, but allowed due to the corrupt police).

One last word of warning. Renting a scooter is very dangerous here. Especially if you are not experienced. If you do, be careful and make sure you have good insurance. I think Samui is the most accident prone place in Thailand for this.

Koh Lanta is very nice. But this is low season and many places are closed, not to mention the rainy season is starting.

Other options: Ayutthaya and Sukhothai. Old cities with lots of ancient ruins to visit.

There is also a converted rice barge cruise from Bangkok to Ayutthaya. Very very nice. Very relaxing and quiet. But not cheap.

http://www.manohracruises.com/2012/index.php

There are other cruise options too, just google rice barge cruise.

Thank you for the replies (especially Mighty Mouse and craigt3365) wai2.gif

Will be visiting August 1st to September 1st this year, so about 3 weeks away

Monsoon ..... good luck with the islands.

Wet windy and dangerous to swim in the sea.

Boat trips will likely be off the menu too.

Non-island base might be a good idea, how about Krabi, beaches are still good.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

Koh Sami is a flithy <deleted> hole. If your GF wants some luxury then fly to Samui and catch ferry to Koh Phangan and spend two week on Thong Nai Pan Noi. Remember, Samui is nothing like the description in the Alex Garland novel that I'm assuming you have read.

All tigers in Thailand are kept in appalling conditions, elephants spend all their days lugging logs around to appease spoilt little trustafarians. Bangkok is excellent fun but by the sounds of it your GF will hate it as it's 'smelly' and has 'too many people'

Alternatively fly to Phuket and catch a boat to Koh Phi Phi.

You're only there for a month, don't waste half of it chasing rainbows looking for 'the beach'. I've already told you where the best ones are.

Most importantly, avoid cranky foreigners who describe everything as appalling and smelly. For them the glass is not only half empty, it's also cracked and leaving a stain on their Camel Active safari shorts.

Keeping in mind the weather issues, you should include Chiang Mai in your plans. You can see elephants there, there's Doi Suthep and the Night Market is worth a visit and the city itself is interesting.

http://www.baanchangelephantpark.com/

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/thailand/chiang-mai-wat-phra-that-doi-suthep

http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/shopping/night_market

http://www.thailandelephant.org/en/

Well said Suradit69.

Samui can be busy, overcrowded, certain areas dirty, but s?!thole ? Harsh indeed. Plenty of it is beautiful.

Edited by delh

Would agree with some of the other posters (not as vehemently though). Koh Samui is ok, but there are better places. Personally I think Phuket is nicer if you want to do the tourist island thing. I just spent 4 days down there a month ago and personally thought the restaurants where pretty ordinary. Not that much to see either unless you just want to lie on the beach every day.

In Bangkok I would go and see the grand palace and the emerald buddha, I found them both quite spectacular. Read up on the scams at those places before you go.

Both Phuket and Samui are severly developed; they are not pristine beaches where you can sit and relax whilst not seeing other people. I would listen to some other posters and go to some of the more deserted beaches if you want that experience.

If you don't want any of the risque stuff stay away from Pattaya.

Chiang Mai can be great as well. Some of the jungle trekking stuff is great.

You really don't need to pay a great deal for hotels. Even 4 stars in Bangkok can be had at most places for around $100-140 USD a night in the heart of Sukhumvit. These are great places like the Grand Millenium Sukhumvit. Search online for deals as it is low season and you should be able to find a lot.

Wet season is coming/already here so plan your trip accordingly. Southern places (Phuket/Samui/Krabi) can rain everyday for weeks, and if you are caught there in one of those times it can get you down. Not much else to do in Krabi and Samui if it is raining.

Sorry to sound down if I do, I hope you have a great holiday.

Too be honest you probably should of came here before you booked to go to Samui. Samui, Phuket and Pattaya are probably the 3 worst places to holiday in Thailand.

You are limited to where you can go because its rainy season so i would recommend Krabi or Ko Mak for beach holidays. Dont go to these places if your looking for bars and clubs.

Kanchanaburi, Chaing Mai and Ayutthaya, for something different. If she likes luxury then in Bkk you should take her to Sirocco bar at Lebua tower.

• Like 1

Bangkok “must see” are Grand Palace and Wat Po with Emerald Buddha. Try a dinner by the riwer either in Chinatown area or, if you are more hi-so, the buffet at Orientel Hotel – or book/take one of the old wood dinner cruise boats with traditional thai dance. Also a canal tour or floating market may be typical BKK. Of course shopping and perhaps a dinner at the top of 300m high Bayoke Tower, with an aotstanding over the city.

There is a temple famous for tigers near the Riwer Kwai bridge (not far from BKK), read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Temple

http://tigertemple.org/tigertemple_new/page_article.php?article_ID=153&id=67

You will need to book admission in advance.

Ayuttaya, about 1½ hours north of BKK, is the old capital from 13th to 17th century. Ruins, but impressive and worth a visit, if you are interested in history. You can rent bikes for touring on your own in the huge historical area. Many small guesthouses available, if you wish to stay the night over.

Chiang Mai up north, the old capital of the Lana Kingdom, has hundreds (think about one thousand) of temples. You can get get there by the night sleeper train, quite comfortable if you book a 1st class compartment for two. Costs around 3000 baht. Alternative is to fly – perhabs taking the train up and fly down to Samui, v.v. North of Chian May you will find jungle, trekking and elephants.

Seems you know about relaxed Samui and the nightlife for young perople in Chanweng. You may wish to visit Koh Nangyouan, right north of Koh Tao, for snorkling. There are several day tours, incl. snorling gear, some with comfortable boats and a good lunch buffet. If you are a bit more into “paradise” you may take the old ferry from Maenam Beach to the north-eastern tip of Koh Phangan, a beach called Thong Nai Pan Yai. Fairly cheap bungalows and nothing to do, but enjoy...

Just a few recommandation, enjoy your trip thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

This will wind up huge. My two cents:

Try Lebua at State Tower (of Hangover II fame) in Bangkok. 5 star but cheap if you stay out of the restaurants and bars. Except for breakfast, which is cheap and fantastic, and you have to have a beer at Skybar. Close to Skytrain (the ONLY way to get around BKK) and the river. The river ferries are a hoot. A few stops on Skytrain to Siam, MBK etc for boutique shopping. Markets for cheap stuff. We're not supposed to, but a well made Prada knock off will make the GF's trip.

Krabi. We stayed at Amari Vogue. Fantastic. No hookers and ladyboys, private beach. Hire a long tail boat for the day and cruise around all the islands and laugh at the Russians and Japanese on these awful group tours. If the weather permits of course.

If you go to Pattaya stay at Jomtien. Better beach and less hassles. A wander along Walking Street at night will give you something to post on Facebook when you get home but other than that give Pattaya itself a miss. Go to Nong Nooch park. Unbelievable garden, great stage show and yep elephants but ...

All the above comments about tigers and elephants are true. Even if you aren't an animal lover it will break your heart to see these magnificent creatures treated terribly.

Comments about motor bikes correct. Don't. And no jet skis either.

Have fun. It's a fantastic country.

• Like 2

Samui is really nice and has the best weather during mentioned months. That's why it's high season on Samui and low season everywhere else. But I wouldn't care too much about the weather in Bangkok and would spent the the time days between BKK and Samui in the Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai area. There is a nonstop flight CNX-USM by the way.

Koh Sami is a flithy <deleted> hole. If your GF wants some luxury then fly to Samui and catch ferry to Koh Phangan and spend two week on Thong Nai Pan Noi. Remember, Samui is nothing like the description in the Alex Garland novel that I'm assuming you have read.

All tigers in Thailand are kept in appalling conditions, elephants spend all their days lugging logs around to appease spoilt little trustafarians. Bangkok is excellent fun but by the sounds of it your GF will hate it as it's 'smelly' and has 'too many people'

Alternatively fly to Phuket and catch a boat to Koh Phi Phi.

You're only there for a month, don't waste half of it chasing rainbows looking for 'the beach'. I've already told you where the best ones are.

Most importantly, avoid cranky foreigners who describe everything as appalling and smelly. For them the glass is not only half empty, it's also cracked and leaving a stain on their Camel Active safari shorts.

Keeping in mind the weather issues, you should include Chiang Mai in your plans. You can see elephants there, there's Doi Suthep and the Night Market is worth a visit and the city itself is interesting.

http://www.baanchangelephantpark.com/

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/thailand/chiang-mai-wat-phra-that-doi-suthep

http://www.1stopchiangmai.com/shopping/night_market

http://www.thailandelephant.org/en/

And what sir is wrong with Camel shorts? I own several pairs and find their ample pockets extremely useful for items such as passports, johnnies and counterfeit 500THB notes!

An alternative Koh (island) to visit is Koh Chang.

Nice for a few days relaxation. I have stayed in a few places there, but my fav was KC Grande resort in white sands.

If you go, visit Bang Bao village, some little shops and restaurants on the stilted pier.

Get there by taxi or fly to Trat where they will transport you to the Ferry/Hotel for a small cost. Only takes about 20-30 mins on Ferry to reach island, most resorts are on the opposite side to where the ferry lands.

I did the Chiang Mai thing a couple of years back, stayed in a lovely hotel Anantara about 5 mins by tuk tuk from town center. Paid a taxi driver £20 per day to transport me around when there.

Day 1 Went to Karen village by elephant, saw a monkey and snake show then lunch and the big white temple in the afternoon. Day 2 went to the Zoo (which had pandas at the time) and then for a massage mid afternoon (was nursing a hangover from sampling the chiang mai nightlife the night before!).

If you enjoy driving, it is a good way to see the country and you will find some unique places that aint in the travel books. But rent something big and sturdy, like a Hilux or Fortuner. if you do. Its a mad place to drive!

Bangkok is huge and has many things to do. Chao Praya river boat trip is a must (great at night - have a meal on the boat, see everything lit up). I have stayed in several hotels, Le Bua Tower was nice, but so are so many more. Take the river to Wat Pho / kings palace in the morning then get a tuk tuk to Khao San Road to rub shoulders with the back packers. Shops selling usual tourist stuff there and my advice is to find a bar and order a 3 litre Chang beer tower and watch the world pass by. The canal boats are not far from Khao San and for 5 baht you will see parts of Bangkok that will open your eyes.

Hope you have a great time, I am off to Thailand myself two weeks today, cant wait!!!

E N J O Y

• Like 2

How old are you , what do you like doing. It would take years to see all of Thailand.

Give some more details and people can advise better.

Hi,

I'm 28, GF is 25

I like seeing beautiful places that aren't full of tourists (who doesn't)... I'd love to see some elephants, tigers etc. I'm not at all interested in anything sexual (shows, ladyboys and so forth)

My GF is more of the elite luxury type, so that's where the 5 star resorts/Koh Samui come into play

Not sure what else to say smile.png

I have read most of the replies relating to your forthcoming trip and i am amazed about how little some of the repliers know about Thailand. Whoever it was, i agree, give Koh Samui a miss a s***t hole. pattaya and even big s**t hole. Phi phi? Too far...nothing to do. Krabi and especially Koh Lanta a s***t hole. Phuket, yes i would give that a plus only because if you avoid the tourist areas like patong, there are some fabulous beaches. A must is to go to koh yao noi, costs only 120thb by ferry and good accommodation for less than 1,000thb per night. Fabulous views, good restaurants, no girly bars.

Monsoon season? So what it rains...but it is warm and does not rain every day. Whoever the poster was....no boats in monsoon season...bulls***t. I am a regular traveler to koh yao noi and in 15 years i have had to wait 3-4 times for the seas to settle, usually within an hour.

• Like 1

If you are going to the South of Thailand you should go to this place.

http://www.theblueskyresort.com/koh_payam/

Its an island that not a lot of people know about and its totally unspoiled. This resort here is by the beach and when the tide comes in the sea runs under your cottage. Its beautiful when you sit on the big sofas watching the sun go down drinking cocktails. Very romantic so your girl will like it. There is nothing to do apart from kayaking, and you can rent a motorbike and drive around the island and go for a massage. Perfect if you just want to relax.

Advice:

DO NOT RENT JET SKIS

• Like 2

It's very difficult for others to determine what you and your girlfriend might like to see and do in Thailand. We don't know anything about you.

If she likes shopping, she'll love some of the large shopping centres in Bangkok. Then, you have the various markets which sell a lot of rubbish very cheaply.

Bangkok also has various day tours you can take. Google for these.

You should also Google the numerous hotels in Bangkok for prices and location. Keep in mind that Bangkok can be difficult to travel around, so finding a hotel near the sky train might be advantageous for your daily movements.

Bangkok is the capital of Thailand and it is a must place to visit.

If you both love the beach, you'll love Koh Somui, Phuket.or any of the smaller islands. How long you stay depends on how much lying around in the sun you want. It would be such a pity to travel from the other side of the world just to lie on a beach and not see anything of Thailand.

Phuket is a daytime place with a great coastline. You can explore all the hidden beaches along the coastline by hiring motor bikes.

Pattaya is also a popular seaside city. It is regarded as largely a red light district so your girlfriend might not appreciate all the winks you will get from the local females. But by comparison to other touristy areas, hotel prices are very cheap. Pattaya comes alive at night time and is rather sleepy and relaxed during the day.

Jomptien Beach is not far from Pattaya and is arguably a better beach. Plenty of hotels and nice restaurants there too.

A ferry boat ride can take you to Koh Samet, another small, but nice island where you can stay overnight. One, maybe two nights there would be more than enough.

You should also Google Chiang Mai and consider it as a nice place to see the hill tribes, elephants walks, the golden triangle etc. You can take the over night sleeper train from Bangkok, or fly to get there.

The one big problem with travelling to too many locations, is that you waste a lot of time sitting around transport hubs moving from one place to the next and then packing and unpacking. If you want a relaxing holiday, try to limit the travelling and be flexible in your planning. If you arrive at one location and love it, stay longer.

I suggest that you read the travel sections in this forum, Google as much as possible re Thailand and then come back to this thread and ask all the questions you want regarding what you discover in your research. We might then be in a better position to be able to guide you with your final planning.

Chiang Mai is great, hill tribes, waterfalls, mountains and hot springs. Theres also the X Center if you like a bit of off roading.