motorbike driving test - my own bike?

pete66

I'm doing my motorbike test on Monday at Hang Dong to get a Thai driving license.

I already have a motorbike. Can I take the test on my own bike, or do you have to use one of the bike's provided?

tia

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will be required to take the test on your own motorbike.

A tip for you:

Although the test is easy, the instructions the test examiner will give you is in Thai and if you cannot speak or understand Thai language, take someone along who can translate what the examiner is saying prior to driving the bike around the course.

• Like 2

thanks. I'll take my bike (and helmet). I can read and write Thai. My gf said even illiterate Thais can pass the written test because there are "helpers" available, helper being another word for "person you slip 200 baht to read the questions (and answers) to you" :)

• Like 1

you will ride to the centre without a licence, wait, fill out paperwork, wait, do a reaction test, wait, watch a video, wait, do a multi-choice computer test, fail for answering too many questions correctly, stand with the crowd about the single test machine with everyone else to get all the right (incorrect) answers for the theory test before hand, wait, do the theory test again, wait, do the practical where they say "same Thailand, same Thailand" so follow the group and do the course behind the locals and do what they do, wait, pay the fees, wait, smile for the camera... and you'll get your licence.

then you'll ride the wrong way up the 1-way driveway to get out of the place.

take a book to read whilst you wait.

lots of waiting then? :) any food available?

I did the car and motorbike exam on the same day. First successfully completed the car part. They did not have a motorbike available for the test. But if you can drive a car you surely can drive a motorbike?? So no motorbike driving test needed biggrin.png .

I showed them my UK bike license and did not have to do the theory or riding test

Me too. Just an eye and reaction test on a machine, lots of paperwork and copying, pay the fee and then queue for the photo and licence.

You will need to take a medical certificate with you, in case you don't already know that.

the theory test is in English

when I did my test, the man said to me, "you take test, you fail, you take again!"

bring a pen with you into the theory test, if you fail the first time,

at the end of the test the computer will tell you the questions you got wrong,

this will give you time to note down the correct answers before taking the test again!

good luck!

• Like 1

However, if you have a western motorcycle license you do not need to take the test on a motorbike at all.

If you don't have a western license then you need to take a test on a motorcycle, IT NEED NOT BE YOUR OWN.. you can borrow a friends or rent one to take to the test centre.

Edited by technologybytes

No need to have a bike, they have there, for a small fee of 50 Baht I think.

I had mine anyway, but i remember they asking me if i wanted to rent the bike there. They have helmets too.

The hardest part: the exam, because it's so tricky and not too easy. It's not hard either, but you need to get 23/30 to pass.

and it's all about car, they teach nothing about bike rules.

My advice: on the lunch break, practice the exam on the simulation machines one floor up or down I cant remember... some red machines.

Edited by brfsa2

Another thing, during the license lectures, it was never mentioned at any point in the book or video that Bikes cannot drive on 2n or 3rd lanes, only 1st lane of the left... Yet police always keep stopping me for driving on the middle lane. I always refused to pay anything, I say I have no money with me.

Edited by brfsa2
  • Like 2

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone NOT passing a Thai driving test...

In Japan, the national average for passing the motorcycle 'big bike' test is 11 tries,

The motorbike test is dead easy, but the car test has a couple of tricky maneuvers that one can fairly easily screw up. It doesn't help that at the test centre on Sukhumvit, there are about 50 people watching you.

• Like 1

I have a question regarding the Theory test relevant to transportation law regarding pillion riders.

What is the maximum number of pillion riders allowable by the relevant authority? And in theory, are pillion riders required to wear helmets?

(As an aside I have seen as many as three pillion riders on one bike plus a small child, for a total of 5 persons.

Have heard comical anecdotal evidence of more. Surely this is not safe, but illegal, not sure?)

Don't forget your helmet.

And people do fail the theory test.

In my experience in getting a Thai licence, I applied for a motor vehicle licence showing my AUS licence & international licence.

There was NO theory test, only two tests:

(1) For colour blindness

(2) Testing reaction on a simulated brake & acceleration peddles to a red light

They then issued my drivers licence. When I asked about the motor cycle licence which was also on my AUS licence they simply issued a second licence for that (an additional 150B) No driving tests involved. That was at the Buriram transport department.

The first licences are for 1 year, renewals are for 5 years. (do not forget the renewal dates because they will simply be cancelled)

My wife had never had a drivers licence (what Thais do?). I taught her using our own car and a police officer friend of her offered to take her to the test centre (for 1500B). She said that fee covered everything. After the policeman had a chat to the controller of the testing, the friendly controller stood behind her and suggested the correct answers for the multiple choice questions (no practical driving test, although she was quite capable). That was that. Easy.

The moral of this story is: "get to know a friendly cop".

Edited by BuriramRes

I have a question regarding the Theory test relevant to transportation law regarding pillion riders.

What is the maximum number of pillion riders allowable by the relevant authority? And in theory, are pillion riders required to wear helmets?

(As an aside I have seen as many as three pillion riders on one bike plus a small child, for a total of 5 persons.

Have heard comical anecdotal evidence of more. Surely this is not safe, but illegal, not sure?)

One pillion rider with a helmets is OK. Sometimes in Pattaya they will stop people. Other places it looks like anything goes.

In Japan, the national average for passing the motorcycle 'big bike' test is 11 tries,

Yes. It took me three, and I'd riding big motorcycles regularly for ten years. Japanese big bike tests are a bitch.

Yes. It took me three, and I'd riding big motorcycles regularly for ten years. Japanese big bike tests are a bitch.

I failed my first attempt because I got on the bike before I put up the kick stand, and failed my second attempt because I put up the kickstand with my left foot rather than my right foot.

• Like 1

thanks. I'll take my bike (and helmet). I can read and write Thai. My gf said even illiterate Thais can pass the written test because there are "helpers" available, helper being another word for "person you slip 200 baht to read the questions (and answers) to you" smile.png

They do have the tests in English. Never heard off any foreigners in lower northeast who'd to do the driving part. If you fail, the going rate's 500 baht.

They'll fill all out for you. Safe trips in LOS!!!!!!-w00t.gif