I need help to clear the air about Khon Kean

hmficc

My wife and I lived in Chiang Mai for 5 years. My wife developed chronic bronchitis from the auto and burning pollution. Doc said we must leave. Sad but true. We are looking for a new lily pad to jump to. How is the air in KK. Can one trust the monitoring station at all. I mean the one at the Mayor's house. Ops! maybe that answers it.

We are abroad at this time and would like return Oct-Jan.

Thanks

Lawrence of Tampa

Almost anywhere would be better than Chiangmai, which is in a bowl surrounded by hills, so the pollution tends to linger. I would think anywhere in Isan would be fine, but for the best air, you had probably better go to one of the towns along the Mekong.

• Like 2

I have found the air in KhonKaen very good. the farmers still like to burn but it does not collect like chiangmai.

the traffic in town causes a bit of pollution like anywhere so living on the outskirts of town would be the best place

• Like 1

How about Ubon.

No pollution and very little traffic.

I live in Ubon city and the traffic is horrible, especially at peak times (7:30-9am and 4pm-5:30pm). Saturdays are also very congested. Ever got caught up at the ring road and chayangkun interesction? I have seen it backed up to Toyota Di Yiam!

• Like 2

I've always liked Mukdahan. It shares with the other main town on the Mekong, Nongkhai, quick access to Laos. Nongkhai used to boast that it had been listed 7th in the world as a retirement location. I don't think it should ever have ranked quite that high, but it's a nice little town!

• Like 2

How about Ubon.

I live in Ubon city and the traffic is horrible, especially at peak times (7:30-9am and 4pm-5:30pm). Saturdays are also very congested. Ever got caught up at the ring road and chayangkun interesction? I have seen it backed up to Toyota Di Yiam!

By comparison to the big cities it is very little and other than a few hours a day not bad at all.

Have a look at Mukdahan, Right on the Mekong River, good clean air and not much traffic.

you should have added YET

but still very relaxed for a kind of a "big" town

easy for the visaruns with savannakhet just across the river

all the stores you should need (exept mac donalds) but hey thats better for your health anyway

How about Ubon.

By comparison to the big cities it is very little and other than a few hours a day not bad at all.

then KK is a complete horror story if you want to go go tesco book a hotelroom halfway

hope this helps during the smoke season this nasa map pinpoints all the buring in thailand and surrounding nations, all of northern thailand including issan should be off limits with your wife's condition, highest incidence of lung cancer in the world northern thailand WHO -chinese do not keep stats for WHO on

http://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/firemap/?x=99.14999999999998&y=18.684375000000003&z=7&g=g&v=2&r=5&i=er&l=ad,ct

hmficc; I would definitely recommend Ubon. Good road, rail and air links and the air is clean. One hour and you're on the Mekong.

I live on the Warin side, traffic not too bad (although at the moment there are "improvements" in progress at the Kantaralak intersection on the Ring Road causing big tail-backs.

Pleasant Farang eateries, western malls .. but still essentially Thailand!!

Most importantly I'm sure your wife will enjoy life here as the folk are among the friendliest I've met in Thailand.

Good luck!!

• Like 1

Better air in the countryside around KK, prevailing wind is from the South West most of the time.

So consider that when looking at a location with respect to areas of industrialisation.

There are housing developments in the South Western sector of KK, but too built up for our liking.

Personally I feel it better to avoid cities but consider your location for ease of the drive in/out should the need arise.

If you are "city people" the move to rural might be a culture shock too far?

Rent before buying so you can test the area in terms of air-quality, amenities and your sanity. crazy.gif

• Like 1

There are lots of nice places around Khao Yai National Park, near Korat.

http://www.insightguides.com/destinations/asia-pacific/thailand/northeast-thailand/nakhon-province/overview

It is about 400 meters above sea level, so it is not as hot as other places and the air is very clean.

The only negative thing I know about this place is that land/properties might be a bit expensive compared to other parts of the country.

There are lots of nice places around Khao Yai National Park, near Korat.

http://www.insightguides.com/destinations/asia-pacific/thailand/northeast-thailand/nakhon-province/overview

It is about 400 meters above sea level, so it is not as hot as other places and the air is very clean.

The only negative thing I know about this place is that land/properties might be a bit expensive compared to other parts of the country.

Khao Yai is an excellent choice.

If you like a very local feel near Khon Kaen, see the communities north of town called Nam Phong and Krenuan. North is preferable due to prevailaing winds.

Edited by unanimosity
  • Like 1

Mukdahan is nice, right on the river and clean air. Or if you want to be closer to KK, Kalasin, has little traffic, and clean air.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

But there is nothing going on here in Kalasin. The few of us foreigners are teaching for the most part. We have one foreign owned bar, but as said,, small, clean, hospitable.

Save Money and go to Chiang Rai or better yet Pai up in the mountains

MyHongSon completes the list of three more polluted towns than Chiang Mai in Thailand during the burning season.

The one question I have is leaving the auto pollution and rice burning aside is there not a degree of pollution in Northern Thailand due to forest fires from not only Thailand but Lao, Cambodia. Myanmar and China.?

• Like 1

Do yourself a huge favor and move to Paknam Chumphon on the coast.Halfway between Phuket and Bangkok.

Lovely fresh sea air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was wondering about that. Other than definatly warmer it seems to me the south would be the better choice. No I do not include Bangkok in that.smile.png

I lived a few kms outside Roi-Et had have had clear clean air for more than 12 years with almost no burning around here

Have lived on the outskirts of Roi Et City for 7 years and get occasional burning but nothing serious.