Should Thailand raise money by selling its old prisons?

webfact

Should Thailand raise money by selling its old prisons?
By Coconuts Bangkok

prison1.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Solving prison overcrowding by selling prisons might not seem like the soundest idea at first blush, but Justice Minister Chaikasem Nitisiri is arguing that Thailand’s ageing prison complexes might hold the key to providing the Ministry with much-needed funds.

In the face of a ballooning prisoner population, Chaikasem has suggested selling off old prison complexes to developers and then using funds acquired through these sales to build new prisons.

Chaikasem has also suggested selling off bonds as a means of raising additional funds.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/07/08/should-thailand-raise-money-selling-its-old-prisons

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2013-07-08

How silly of me , I thought this Administration was flush with money , the money spent on the Prime Ministers junket tours of the world, would build three new prisons, as for raising money,to build and the issuing of bonds, this sort of stuff is for kiddies, no one in their right mind would invest in prisons, as for selling , and building new one's , at what price and how much to build , another grand plan for the sin bin and thought up at last Sunday's Chiang Mai BBQ.bah.gif

• Like 2

I would hope they consider turning the old prisons located in cities to into city parks and partially offset their complete lack of planning.

They are saying they will turn the old women's prison in Chiang Mai into a city park.

Sounds good for now but I wouldn't bet that parcel does not become another condo or office building

Does Coconuts has now an opinion/ editorial section?

I am sure Chaikasem didn't ask the question whether to sell or not, but made a suggestion.

Edited by Morakot

How silly of me , I thought this Administration was flush with money , the money spent on the Prime Ministers junket tours of the world, would build three new prisons, as for raising money,to build and the issuing of bonds, this sort of stuff is for kiddies, no one in their right mind would invest in prisons, as for selling , and building new one's , at what price and how much to build , another grand plan for the sin bin and thought up at last Sunday's Chiang Mai BBQ.bah.gif

Sell prisons built on valuable land to build new ones on cheap land is an excellent idea. What do you find so wrong with that. It's a tactic that's used all over the world for various purposes.

I don't see how the bond idea would work though.

Between the selling of the old prisons and the building of the new ones where are the inmates going be held?

In the old prison. The contract with the person who buys the old prison says he can't have it until the new prison is built. It's pretty standard procedure.

Or you build one new one first, then close one, build one.

Robby nz, on 08 Jul 2013 - 19:01, said:snapback.png

Between the selling of the old prisons and the building of the new ones where are the inmates going be held?

In the old prison. The contract with the person who buys the old prison says he can't have it until the new prison is built. It's pretty standard procedure.

I have never bought or sold a prison so I cant comment on what would be in the contract.

However the idea if I understand the OP correctly was to sell the old prisons to get money to build new ones.

That would appear to indicate they don't have the money to build a new one first.

It would depend just where an old prison was as to whether its sale would bring in enough to finance a new one in a cheaper location.

That's why the government wants a general amnesty, it's nothing to do with the Big-Boss's demands, at all. whistling.gif

• Like 1

Sounds like a good earner to me!!!

Alternatively there could be a completely transparent selling process with sealed bids adjudicated by a reputable 3rd party auditor who has NO conflicts of interest.........

• Like 1

Sell prisons built on valuable land to build new ones on cheap land is an excellent idea. What do you find so wrong with that. It's a tactic that's used all over the world for various purposes.

Mai bpen rai, don't think too mut!

mai bpen rai, don't think too mut!

I would hope they consider turning the old prisons located in cities to into city parks and partially offset their complete lack of planning.

They are saying they will turn the old women's prison in Chiang Mai into a city park.

Sounds good for now but I wouldn't bet that parcel does not become another condo or office building

It may or it may not become a pak.

I was wondering with the Thai superstition if they would want to occupy a place bult on a former prison. I bet a lot of them would think they are haunted.

Sounds like a good earner to me!!!

Alternatively there could be a completely transparent selling process with sealed bids adjudicated by a reputable 3rd party auditor who has NO conflicts of interest.........

youse been on them hallucinogenic substances haven't you w00t.gifbiggrin.png

So, whose up for a TV syndicate to get some cash together to buy one of these prisons then. Think of the money and all those perks!

Edited by GentlemanJim
  • Like 1

This is Thailand; you seem to have forgotten. They will sell the prison that sits on expensive land to an 'insider' for less than market value (kickbacks all-around), then another 'insider' will qualify, in a bid offer that has such specifically written conditions that there is only one company that meets requirements, and will get the bloated contract. Guaranteed he will also go over budget if he finishes at all, and will be years past the projected schedule. Of course they will find construction flaws or will need to make changes and the same contractor will be paid for that also. Political friendships are amazing things to watch.

p.s. What do you do with all the displaced prisoners between the time you close and sell the old prison and the time the new prison is open?

• Like 1

"In the old prison. The contract with the person who buys the old prison says he can't have it until the new prison is built. It's pretty standard procedure."

No investor can afford to buy and then wait for a new prison that may not ever get built (think police stations). That would be the same as buying a non-interest bearing bond with no 'maturity' date.

Or you build one new one first, then close one, build one."

The article says this is a way to fund building new prisons so you are imagining something the government is not proposing. The Justice Ministry is looking for 'much-needed' funds.

"Sounds good for now but I wouldn't bet that parcel does not become another condo or office building"

The whole point of the proposal was to sell the valuable land to developers to fund building prisons on less valuable land and use the difference to offset the construction costs.

Developers don't build parks or they would go out of business (no return on investment). Developers are not charitable organizations and make their money by building shopping centers, office buildings, and condominiums, etc. (stuff that makes a profit on investment)

"They are saying they will turn the old women's prison in Chiang Mai into a city park."

If 'They' is the government, it is better if you don't believe them. It will save you a lot of disappointment.