Car/vehicle Insurance/international Licence

Car/Vehicle Insurance & Driving on International Licence.

I think this may be of importance to many of you that drive your/family car whilst only holding a IDP. (Do you really know you are insured, even thou everyone tells you or the vehicle are covered?????????) It has been said many times here on TV buyer beware some insurance policies only cover the person if they hold a Thai driving licence.

IDP and driver insurance is only recognised if the vehicle is TRUE rental vehicle and you can show the signed rental agreement from the RENTAL COMPANY. So those of you that just jump into those vehicles that your friends/family/uncle Somchai etc own and are shown as the legal owner, you had better be aware if you have an accident you are in the crap up-to your neck.

If you own or use a vehicle, but currently driving it with your IDP you had better make sure you are covered. I have done this by insisting on a letter from our insurance company stating -

I (NAME PERSON) is fully insured to drive vehicle (REG NUMBER) whilst driving on PUBLIC HIGHWAYS and this policy applicable when driving using a Valid International Driving Licence/Permit.

If your insurance Co, refuse to offer a letter proving they will cover you, Then I would be VERY VERY suspicious of them, and even more so if God forbid you ever needed to make a claim.

Get That Letter For Piece Of Mind.

CF

Very good advise, will do it when insurance expired.

Why wait until the renewal, (what happens if you need to claim before then ?)

Peace of mind, is worth it so you can drive without the fear of the unexspected.

CF

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Also check the validity of the international licence as it used to cover the first 3 months of driving according to Thai law......................................................

Any time over and it was invalid, along with your insurance.

I,m not even sure a letter will suffice should you actually need your insurance and the double standards that usually apply.

Better be safe than sorry.

So again as C. F. says check it out, never mind what the bar lawyers tell you.

marshbags :o:D:D

Very good advise, will do it when insurance expired.

Why wait until the renewal, (what happens if you need to claim before then ?)

Peace of mind, is worth it so you can drive without the fear of the unexspected.

CF

Thanks for your advice, will do it ASAP.