UK Family Visit Visa

I am going to try and get my wifes mother a UK visa so that she may come and visit us for 3 - 4 weeks, I shall be sponsoring her I.E paying for her flight and she will be staying with us. My question is I am having a problem with a reason to return to ThaIland she lives with her daughter and is a director of her daughters company but that has only been up and running for a couple of months she also manges a farm that is owned by my wife and her sister but is unpaid for this.

To summarise:

I wil fund the flight, food and accommodation during her stay (she would be sharing a room with her grandson do you think that would create a problem?)

any help or advice would be great.

Hello John.

I have just been through the application for the same visa for my wife to accompany me to the UK. They will need proof that you are married, this means submitting your original marraige certificate to prove that you and your wife are married. This would need to be done in Thailand and she will need to apply herself .

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/visiting/family/documents/

I don't think the issue about her living with her Grandson applies, you don't need to state that they will be sleeping in the same room.

Seeing as you are already in the UK, you can write a letter confirming who she is, that you will support her and give the expected dates that she will stay there.

I must admit, it took some time (3 weeks to process, they sent the application to the Philippines to be processed) and 2 visits to place the application, although we applied in Malaysia (not Thailand) as this is where we are residing at the moment.

Good luck

Edited by soihok

You are right that reasons for return are important, but the ECO will be looking at the application as a whole. As well as reasons to return, she needs to show reasons for going to the UK, and these seem to be good. That is, to see her daughter and grandson ( and you, of course !). The ECO may well take into account when she last saw her daughter and grandson, and if was very recently, then he may have a problem, for instance, with why she wants to see them again so soon.

It's difficult to be specific, as each application will have positive and negative aspects. Regarding the accommodation, the ECO could refuse at a push, but normally, in short visits such as this, it should not be a problem. However, if the ECO was really looking for a reason to refuse, he could probably get away with it on those grounds.

Tony M

• Like 1

You are right that reasons for return are important, but the ECO will be looking at the application as a whole. As well as reasons to return, she needs to show reasons for going to the UK, and these seem to be good. That is, to see her daughter and grandson ( and you, of course !). The ECO may well take into account when she last saw her daughter and grandson, and if was very recently, then he may have a problem, for instance, with why she wants to see them again so soon.

It's difficult to be specific, as each application will have positive and negative aspects. Regarding the accommodation, the ECO could refuse at a push, but normally, in short visits such as this, it should not be a problem. However, if the ECO was really looking for a reason to refuse, he could probably get away with it on those grounds.

Tony M

Thank you very much for the reply,,The last time she saw her daughter and grandson was September 2012, she would most proberly not come over here until September or October. If I had my son in with me and my wife so that his grandmother would have her own room do think that would be more acceptable.

Thank you very much for the advise so far.

I don't think it will be a problem either way, depending on your son's age ? This is the official guidance on "overcrowding" :

Residential housing

The Housing Act 1985 contains statutory definitions of overcrowding in residential housing. The ECO should bear in mind, as Pakistan 2004 UKAIT 000066 says, that adequacy of accommodation must be assessed on an individual basis. It is not enough to equate adequacy with overcrowding.

A house is considered to be overcrowded if 2 persons aged 10 years or more of opposite sexes, who are not living together as husband and wife, must sleep in the same room. The Act also details the maximum number of people allowed for a given number of rooms or a given room floor area.

Account is taken only of rooms with a floor area larger than 50 square feet and rooms of a type used either as a living room or bedroom.

Rooms such as kitchens or bathrooms are excluded.

Under the Housing Act, the number of people sleeping in accommodation must not exceed the following:

Number of rooms Maximum number of people allowed

1 2

2 3

3 5

4 7.5

5 10

Each additional room in excess of 5 An additional 2 people

For the purpose of the Act:

• a child under 1 does not count as a person.
  • a child aged 1-10 years counts as only half a person.
Edited by ThaiVisaExpress

Myself, wife and step daughter live in a two bedroom flat.

We didn't have a problem when my sister in law visited as sharing with her niece was obviously acceptable.

When my step son visited we said he would be sleeping on a camp bed in the living room. This was also acceptable.

We did obtain a letter from our landlord on both occasions confirming the arrangement was acceptable to them.

Edited by 7by7

last year my mother-inlaw stayed for 3.5 months to help out after the birth of our little girl.

At the time of her arrival our little girl was one week old & our little boy approaching two.

The wife her mother & the new arrival bedded down in one room & I shared with our little boy as we only have two bedrooms.

The only question that came up at the time of application was why she was asking for 3.5 months this time when she stayed for 3 last time?

I have my mother in law here at present she came in june and will return in october, we had no probs getting her a visa although we had to get someone in thailand to do it for us because of work commitments, i must say she has nothing in thailand, no house, no land, no job etc, and the only reason we could give for her return was her son and daughter and 3 grand children still over there, and her other daughter and 2 grand kids over here, so in my letter i played on the fact that because of work we couldnt possibly get over to see her and for the reason of future visits to the uk she would not jeapordise this by not returning to thailand after her stay here, worked for us??

I am going to try and get my wifes mother a UK visa so that she may come and visit us for 3 - 4 weeks, I shall be sponsoring her I.E paying for her flight and she will be staying with us. My question is I am having a problem with a reason to return to ThaIland she lives with her daughter and is a director of her daughters company but that has only been up and running for a couple of months she also manges a farm that is owned by my wife and her sister but is unpaid for this.

To summarise:

I wil fund the flight, food and accommodation during her stay (she would be sharing a room with her grandson do you think that would create a problem?)

any help or advice would be great.

I think you will be fine, remind yourself of how many visit visas are not approved against how many that are. In reality, your mother in law is visiting her family, the UK gov is fair, she's not going to get a job in a rub shop or run away and marry Mr. Dudley.

Chill out, all will be good.

Myself, wife and step daughter live in a two bedroom flat.

We didn't have a problem when my sister in law visited as sharing with her niece was obviously acceptable.

When my step son visited we said he would be sleeping on a camp bed in the living room. This was also acceptable.

We did obtain a letter from our landlord on both occasions confirming the arrangement was acceptable to them.

There you go, OP, it is that easy. The UK Gov is family orientated yours or this posters family aren't any kind of real risk. The UKBA know that many people simply cant afford their own home and the cost of such trips is a big outlay so a camp bed in a wee flat is not of concern to them as long as the family needs are met.

I have my mother in law here at present she came in june and will return in october,

My wife is doing an application next year for her Mum. It will only be a month long visit though. My mother in law is golden, been me mum for 16 years but bloddy'el I wouldn't want her visiting for 5 months. It just wouldnt feel right sitting in me yfronts in the front room, expelling flatus and watching the morning TV with her watching on.