Do not use CAT ISP

mowgus

Bit of a public service announcement for fellow forum users to avoid CAT ISP for their Internet.

I had 3BB for my ISP previously here in Chiang Mai and it was pretty good. Fast and when I did have a problem, they responded quickly (line issue...no surprise).

I moved to a new OnePlus condo and they said I had to use CAT because they have an exclusive agreement with CAT. I was apprehensive as I rely on my Internet connection heavily for work/stock trading. I did some searching on the forums and only found info that was several years old and they said it was a fibre connection so, it has to be fast. Big mistake.

I've had constant problems. Even when it's up, it's slow...dropping http requests and inconsistent. Sure, speed test to BKK shows great but that doesn't really tell you much. I suspect their routers or WAN out of the country are overloaded or just plain bad or more likely misconfigured. I don't even need a fast connection, just a stable one and I can't get that.

On more than one occasion over the past month my internet went completely out. I called, they said they would call back... they never do. Next day I call again, they say they'll call back...again, they never do and then suddenly it just starts working...barely.

I'm paying a premium for a supposed good service and my True 3G connection when teathered to my laptop provides better browsing/reliability. In fact, I'm on it right now as my Internet has, once again, been down for more than 24 hours. "they're working on it".

Has anyone had any good service with CAT?

Interestingly, as I've complained, they are going to allow other ISPs in my building now. But, I'm locked into a contract so the money is gone. They suggested "Sinet" but I'm leery of another "never heard of them" ISP. Unfortunately, 3BB said they can't put it into my condo at this point.

So, I guess this is the age old question... who do you use and, how is your connection?

As always it has to do with location, location, location. An ISP who is good in one location, is bad or not available in another and vice versa. To make things worse, if you're in condo buildings providers are limited because of condo rules. And as always connections within Thailand are always better the connections to outside of Thailand. There are no guaranties. So asking on this forum is useless. Ask your neighbors what they use and what do they think of the service. You'll get a much better idea.

The demand for fast internet service is high, but the supply is low, so nothing has been done by the several providers to improve the network infrastructure, as the internet service today is sooo bad that, it goes off and on every 5 minutes...

Hmm. If you're using True 3G you're also using CAT there because True uses the CAT network, ... but it sucks too. Look at the websites that compare ISP's worldwide and you'll see that the Thai CAT "service" is one of the most highly restricted on the planet (despite their untrue claims of unlimited downloads etc etc)

In Krabi - CAT, which I use for my business, has proved to be much better than TOT which I use at home.

Better service, better consistency, faster response time. Plus they put an optical cable in with no charge.

Just depends on where you are and how good your local office is.

Hmm. If you're using True 3G you're also using CAT there because True uses the CAT network, ... but it sucks too. Look at the websites that compare ISP's worldwide and you'll see that the Thai CAT "service" is one of the most highly restricted on the planet (despite their untrue claims of unlimited downloads etc etc)

Not exactly True (pun intended).

When using True 3G you might be using the same wireless equipment, but once the connection from your mobile/dongle is made to the tower, you are then routed from the tower onto the True backbone, while CAT 3G users would, from that same tower, be routed directly onto CAT's backbone.

Whole different ballgame.

Condo rules are a joke. If you own your condo, you should have the choice to use whatever ISP you want.

In my condo building you can use whichever ISP you want, but most ISP services only reach the building and then you're usually dependent on existing wiring in the building from that point up to your condo. I had TOT and the service was really bad. On good days it was nowhere near the level of service I was paying for and on bad days it kept dropping out or simply didn't exist. Finally switched to 3BB and they (I was told) installed a line all the way up to my condo. Rarely have any problems now and usually if I do it's something effecting everyone in the area.

As someone else said, it's also a matter of location. Even a slightly different location. In the area where I stay, some people find TOT great and 3BB poor.

re CAT. I thought all ISPs depended on CAT anyway.

Edited by Suradit69

I guess it's hard to say where the problem is then. I have fibre with CAT so the connection should be REALLY good. But it sucks. Could be many things though... faulty equipment, bad line, etc. Difference is, at least with 3BB they would come out and fix it. CAT does nothing. They keep saying they'll come and put a wireless antenna on my balcony...but, in true Thai fashion, they're probably sitting around playing games on their smartphones rather than getting off their butts and doing anything.

I guess I'll have to move to another condo and cross my fingers.

Condo rules are a joke. If you own your condo, you should have the choice to use whatever ISP you want.

In my condo building you can use whichever ISP you want, but most ISP services only reach the building and then you're usually dependent on existing wiring in the building from that point up to your condo. I had TOT and the service was really bad. On good days it was nowhere near the level of service I was paying for and on bad days it kept dropping out or simply didn't exist. Finally switched to 3BB and they (I was told) installed a line all the way up to my condo. Rarely have any problems now and usually if I do it's something effecting everyone in the area.

As someone else said, it's also a matter of location. Even a slightly different location. In the area where I stay, some people find TOT great and 3BB poor.

re CAT. I thought all ISPs depended on CAT anyway.

CAT has lost it's monopoly on bandwidth ages ago.

Most ISP's buy only a small amount of bandwidth from CAT, they mostly have their own international gateways nowadays,

Hi , I have a good reliable CAT conection . I live in the sticks 16 Km east of chiang Mai cat head office no phone line available where I live . CAT provide a Microwave link via a 20 Cm dish pointed at their nearest tower 7 Km away .I chose a medium speed pakage 7.5 Mbits download when I do a speed check It shows much higher at aprox 10.5 Mbits , of course the actual download speed is limited mostly by the uploading site, on a few ocations I have hade problems I get a call back in 2 hours to tel me the electricity was out at the transmitter or they sent enginers (3) the next day , strong wind had moved my dish, corected in 10 min no charge. cant fault the service I have had from them, the oridgnal instalation of dish on very thin 8Mt pole. cost about 8000 Baht compleat with 4 chanel out and wifi Router .Monthly cost 631 bhat

I just changed from TOT ADSL (which was extremely bad and getting worse) to TOT Winet and so far it has been very good. Getting around 9 Mbps so I can watch live streaming with minimal breakup and it's always available when I want it and doesn't drop out - unlike the ADSL service. You have to be within about 5 km of, and have line of sight to a transmitting tower. For me, 1700b installation and 631b per month. I haven't had it long so I hope it continued to work as it is now.

I've got CAT ADSL through a dedicated telephone line (no phone traffic on that line) in CM since 4 years, and overall it has been pretty good. I think the longest period without an Internet connection I've had during that time is 6 hours. That was when 3BB were connecting their cables to the area, and it turns out the 3BB guys had 'snipped' the CAT line in one of the boxes (oops...).

The first line of support can be rather tiresome, but if you request it nicely and persistently you can get an actual engineer on the line, and they have been quick fixing whatever issues there have been. Speaking Thai helps, I think. Not sure what their English is like.

• 2 months later...

Sawa dee, hey we are looking at coming to Thailand in November and will be living in Nai Harn / Rawai region for a spell. I am looking for a reliable ISP as I require a reliable high speed connection that I can trust in order to sustain my lifestyle.

Appreciate it if you can advise who/networks you have found suitable and an indication of what down/upload speeds you actually see.

Pete