Thai State Railways train derails in North, foreign tourists injured

webfact

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Interest in rail transport in Thailand can be traced to when King Rama IV was given a gift of a model railway from Queen Victoria.

Wow, they're still using it?

• Like 1

When I was a kid in UK, well over half a century ago, we had steam trains doing over a 100 mph daily. sad.png

And there was also a man called Beeching who, with the help of the Ministry of Transport, recommending closing most of the rail system and spending huge amounts on roads. The road builders were ecstatic and one of the main builders, Marples Ridgway, did very well indeed.

Marples Ridgway was owned by one Mr Ernest Marples, who happened to be the Minister of Transport. No conflict of interest there....

The last steam passenger service was in 1968 and 100mph steam trains were very much the exception 50 years ago. Probably on the East Coast line only.

And in 1967 there was a derailment at Hither Green station in SE London. 49 dead 78 injured. Cause - a broken rail.

Thai trains are relatively safe when compared to road transport in Thailand (mind you, russian roulette is relatively safe in comparison) and falling off a track at 60kph is a better option than dropping from 30000ft.

On the overnight trains BKK-CM and BKK-Nong Khai, you get a comfortable berth, freshly cooked food, can buy beer, have a ciggie and see some of the beautiful countryside that you miss by plane or bus.

Thai trains compare very favourably with Burmese trains which are expensive and very basic. Lao and Cambodian trains don't compare very well - there aren't any.

I was at Hither Green at the time. whistling.gif . An electric commuter train.

I have stopped reading responses at the end of the first page. Disgusting. All but one post were nothing but denigrating personal opinion, speculation or wisecracks. Practically a festive mentality for the opportunity to "kick 'em when they are down." Once again a tragedy has been shamefully used to belittle Thais by people who could really not care less about the victims.

Perhaps we care about safe transport, whether rail or road that hi-so's are not tackling. sad.png .

• Like 1

Personally I find all those repeating negative, synical and off topic cliché reactions a very annoying thing on Thaivisa. Why do this frustrated old men want to live here anyway, just for their cheap beer ?

It‘s pathetic to post the same tone of responses in every random topic, this is Thailand and you know it.

Posting your opinion is not obligatory, if you'd think so.

Send from my Asus FONEPAD

Of course this is a problem for underdeveloped Thailand . . this sort of derailment caused by poor track maintenance would never happen in an "advanced" western country like France . .would it ?? whistling.gif

(Pls remind me just how many were killed in recent Paris incident )

State Railway should be privatized because its unable to operate at a profit, it has a poor quality record and it needs a total upgrade of tracks, trains, and traffic system because there is a significant demand in Thailand for rail logistics(to reduce dependence on overpcied trucking costs).

And the state can't upgrade tracks, trains and traffic systems ?

The state mustn't compete with the transport companies for cargo, and as little as possible for passengers. That would destroy a lot of jobs for dummies, and more importantly, profits. If it were privatized and modernized, there would be another risk. Sabotage.

• Like 1

This railway is run the same government that wants a high spped train. facepalm.gif

Why?

Do they want to kill every one one the train that will no doubt derail.

Spend money to improve normal train services is a much better way to invest in infrustructure

Never been on any trains here. I don't care for buses or even vans. I love flying and I love driving and especially here in Thailand.

Train wrecks happen in developed countries as well. geeeeesh! Most of the expats that I know here have all developed HOTTP (Hating on the Thai people) I used to act and talk stupid when I first moved here. Always thinking I was smarter than the locals anyhow where was I? Oh yea> Bus crashes happen not just in Thaiand, nor plane crashes. Accidents happen in this world. Neglegence happens all over the world.

I have stopped reading responses at the end of the first page. Disgusting. All but one post were nothing but denigrating personal opinion, speculation or wisecracks. Practically a festive mentality for the opportunity to "kick 'em when they are down." Once again a tragedy has been shamefully used to belittle Thais by people who could really not care less about the victims.

Depressing negativity is "pure Thaivisa forum tradition".

Amazing but sadly true.

I myself am still amazed. But there is nothing much to do. Whatever happens, this forum is locked in "automatic Thai bashing mode".

By the way, there was a train derailment in France a few days ago....

Amazing but sadly true.

I myself am still amazed. But there is nothing much to do. Whatever happens, this forum is locked in "automatic Thai bashing mode".

Think you are wrong and don't understand how stuff works here. When you have been here a while and have your eyes open you will learn. NOT about bashing Thai folk BUT about what happens to funds to make things better.

Amazing but sadly true.

Think you are wrong and don't understand how stuff works here. When you have been here a while and have your eyes open you will learn. NOT about bashing Thai folk BUT about what happens to funds to make things better.

Does anyone remember the train that derailed about 6 months ago between BKK and CM and no one was injured except for the train driver? It It was also reported in ThaiVisa and was thought to be some dispute between different interests.

I'll bet you a large sum that this derailment is the result of the previous dispute failing to resolve.

Forty-one passengers, mostly foreign tourists, were taken to hospital. Eleven passengers were severely hurt.....

And I know what that means to have serious injuries,being in a Thai hospital. My Ex gf from Europe as well. Hope that all turns out well for them.

This country doesn't need high speed trains with high drivers and low tech from China.

Having a Chinese tablet PC in a Chinese high-speed train might do the trick for Yingluck's first ride.

Unfortunately, the traffic problems will be solved in 2 months, or never. Or both.-wai2.gif

oh yes, let's draw negative conclusions about Thailand from the derailment.

Meanwhile there were no reports of looting the dead and injured passengers as was the recent case in France 6 people perished on a state of the rail system. And gosh, at least no one was incinerated as was the case 2 weeks ago in Lac Megantic when the US owned railway moving oil through a small town in eastern Canada became a ghost train derailing and destroying an historic town's core and killing at least 35 people.

Derailments happen even on the best rail systems.

Not at all surprising, unfortunately. The rail system is in shocking condition and desperately needs upgrading, never mind the high speed project.

is there any reason to expect/hope for higher maintenance standards if there was a high-speed link?blink.png

Don't know where you got your information but there is no High speed train to Chiang Mai or plans for it. The government has talked about building one part way. No plans other than it is only going to be part way and that depends on some one loaning them 2.2 Trillion baht. The rest of the way is not in their plans they figure some business will do the next two stages.

A high-speed line to Chiang Mai is a rumor started by the Government to make it look like they are doing some thing sensible. As I said they have no plans to do it.

Even if they did build one it would not pay it's way as there is hardly any demand to justify that kind of money.

Kin hilarious they can get a refund on the tickets.......ok thats the compensation sorted out, next nightmare is them organizing buses, how long before they kill whats left of the living

Not at all surprising, unfortunately. The rail system is in shocking condition and desperately needs upgrading, never mind the high speed project.

is there any reason to expect/hope for higher maintenance standards if there was a high-speed link?blink.png

Don't know where you got your information but there is no High speed train to Chiang Mai or plans for it. The government has talked about building one part way. No plans other than it is only going to be part way and that depends on some one loaning them 2.2 Trillion baht. The rest of the way is not in their plans they figure some business will do the next two stages.

A high-speed line to Chiang Mai is a rumor started by the Government to make it look like they are doing some thing sensible. As I said they have no plans to do it.

Even if they did build one it would not pay it's way as there is hardly any demand to justify that kind of money.

+ they'd never maintain it, after all none of that sensible stuff is necessary here.

Personally I find all those repeating negative, synical and off topic cliché reactions a very annoying thing on Thaivisa. Why do this frustrated old men want to live here anyway, just for their cheap beer ?

It‘s pathetic to post the same tone of responses in every random topic, this is Thailand and you know it.

Of course this is a problem for underdeveloped Thailand . . this sort of derailment caused by poor track maintenance would never happen in an "advanced" western country like France . .would it ?? whistling.gif

(Pls remind me just how many were killed in recent Paris incident )

Then compare kilometres of track and amount of trains and give us a REAL answer.

• Like 1

+ they'd never maintain it, after all none of that sensible stuff is necessary here.

Can't swear to it but I believe there has been two train accidents and one bridge wash out on this line in the last year. Maybe only the one and one bridge wash out.

Either way it is OK to say it happens all over the world but it sure as hell is not OK to say it happens so often on the same line.

Just this morning I was talking with a friend about making a train trip to Bangkok just for the experience. I am going to wait on that one. Maybe this will get them to maintain the line all the way from start to finish.whistling.gif

Even the PTP can see there is some thing wrong here.

See I do some times give them credit.smile.png

What is the bet the foreign tourist will pay hospital bills for this that would be covered everywhere else by the transport company

How negative.

A The BIB could have whip round.

B The government could take out a loan.

C Thaksin will pay as its in the North.

D, TAT will pick up the tab.

E, They all should have insurance why should the hospital have to pay ( government official whose name may begin with the letter S )

Nope!

Never use them, I prefer the bus, even if their safety record is not exactly perfect.

get well soon to all.

Sorry for all and wish a quick recovery. Thankfully no one died.

Personally I fly.

I completely agree.

Well said !

• Like 1

Old trains (60yrs +), bad condition, unaccountable government, what can you say. This is another example of Thai government and response- ability. What do you expect from a 3rd world country that is inconsistent and complacent?

Latest news is, the locals keep stealing the bolds that hold down the rails on the sleepers. This is the seventh derailment in 4 months.

When a rails is detached from the sleeper it will slide outwards in a curve, this is perhaps why the train topped over on the inside of the curve.

Amazing but sadly true.

Oh yeah...just wait a second and I go over to the FRANCE VISA- forum and make a comment there.

Until I do that...may I comment on things happening in THAILAND on the THAI Visa- forum??

Thank you...too generous!

• Like 2