Why do so many people on tv refer to their wife/gf as their 'partner'?

hotandhumid

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Political correctness, feminism. They change the language because they believe they can change the brains.

Read Orwell 1984 to understand the concept.

I've never met anyone who calls their other half their partner...but then again, thankfully, I've never met anyone on here, perish the thought.

That you know of...

Now I may be wrong here but it was always my assumption that when someone refers to there significant other as there partner is is becasue they are both of the same sex . Dont shoot me if Im wrong

It is PC to call your GF,BF as your Partner,because you are not Married!

Everything changes in time,in my Youth "Guys" were men only,now to satisfy the PC Brigade,they are Males of Females . I'm too old to change,so Guys will always be men,to me.

Edited by MAJIC

My gf is eighteen months younger than me. I never refer to her as my "partner" on here or anywhere else.

She is frequently my darling, my love, my sweetheart or my beautiful and wonderful shining light.

Anyway as I have said before such talk is a nonsense on such a place as this.

Rudeness, sex tourism and downright appalling behaviour is the norm from top to at least middle.

I thought I would be kind to the new posters. biggrin.png

Edit: And give them a clue. bah.gif

Edited by smokie36
  • Like 1

My gf is eighteen months younger than me. I never refer to her as my "partner" on here or anywhere else.

She is frequently my darling, my love, my sweetheart or my beautiful and wonderful shining light.

Rudeness, sex tourism and downright appalling behaviour is the norm from top to at least middle.

You never mention that you call me Hen as well, sweetie.

Edited by Patsycat
  • Like 1

Drinkies Patsy?

Oh and I never dare to call a lassie "hen"....you've been outta Scotland too long I reckon!

Let me ken...biggrin.png

Perhaps because its hard for some to call someone half their age , old/young enough to be their daughter ( and many have daughter's same age or even older ) a wife or gf.

here we go, funny how some on here can this this into every thred they go on,

i suppose every girl you have been with has been the same age as you????

jake

Forget about partner, wifey, or 'good lady' (Yuch):

The official US Census designations is: "Persons of Opposite Sex Sharing Living Quarters" or POSSLQ (poss-əl-kyoo)

As in: I am feeling sad and blue; wont' you be my POSSLQ?

Drinkies Patsy?

Oh and I never dare to call a lassie "hen"....you've been outta Scotland too long I reckon!

Let me ken...biggrin.png

I just got back today after a week there!!

No where near as bad as using the term "wifey" It comes across as a right henpecked sap.

Example:

"Wifey says I can't go for a drink with the boys at the weekend".

Unless you're the husband of the wifey in "Wifeys World".

Perhaps because its hard for some to call someone half their age , old/young enough to be their daughter ( and many have daughter's same age or even older ) a wife or gf.

here we go, funny how some on here can this this into every thred they go on,

i suppose every girl you have been with has been the same age as you????

jake

Not at all, but rest assured I never been with a girl half my age or even close to age of being young/old enough to be my daughter . The most age difference I ever had was 9 years

I call my partner Mercedes Girl and I get into trouble for that too, I just can't win. sad.png

I remember years ago my ex Mother In Law had a boyfriend, she was in her 60's, so when I enquired when she was going out with her boyfriend next she announced.......

" At my age, one does not have boyfriends, one has a companion "

There you, another one to add to the mix. smile.png

As long as it is not old chook.

Slightly better than referring to her as 'my Thai wife, or my TGF'. Never quite understood why an announcement like that needs to be made. Don't think anyone introduces their wives as 'this is my American wife' or 'this is my British wife' or even 'this is my Japanese wife'. Seems rather exclusive to Thailand. wink.png

often wondered that one myself...

I started using the word "partner" when it became tiring to keep referring to:

"my live-in-intimate-female-companion-whom-I-love-dearly (but to whom I am not married and who is a bit too old to be called a girl)."

• Like 2