Skype to Mobiles overseas

joedee

Hi All.

I will be travelling in Thailand in August and plan to get a 3G Trumove data sim for my Samsung Note.

Can anyone let me know if I will be able to Skype to a mobile overseas. Do you think trumove 3G is the best option

as I will mainly be around Bangkok and Pattaya. Also how easy or reliable is

it to buy Skype credit online.. I am always worried to give my card details online overseas.

I would appreciate any advice......thanks ,,,,Joe

I use Skype to mobile and land from Thailand. $10AUD for unlimited calls to landline and $100AUD for 400 minutes to cellphones in NZ. You can buy worldwide subscriptions too I believe, as opposed to a single country.

Call quality is excellent and if you put an app on your smartphone, you can use it anywhere with wifi more conveniently than dragging your laptop around. No worries using credit card to buy online with Skype - assuming of course you use your own computer/smartphone and are satisfied that its Trojan and phishing free.

I wouldn't consider ever using a public computer for online purchasing.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Skype is reliable here in Thailand. if you plan to get a Truemove data sim, check also for their wifi offer too, sometimes just a very small surcharge on top.

if you concern security on the online transaction, purchase your Skype credit from your home country.

Why pay Skype anything at all? There is free Wi-Fi available all over Bangkok & Pattaya. I call my son's cell phone in the states often using Skype. Always free.

Really? - Let us know the secret to making a Skype call to an overseas cellphone without paying Skype.

I suspect you are merely skyping him "Skype to Skype", but he has his Skype forwarding to his cellphone. So he is paying Skype for the service. Free for you - not free for him.

Or....he has a Skype app on his smartphone. Free, but that is still Skype to Skype, and not a call to a cellphone as mentioned in the OP.

Edited by Gsxrnz

Using True service is a good idea since you can have add-on WiFi package with it. It's the one thing that I like about True, their WiFi is everywhere in the major area of the country and most shops have them too. At the end of the day, True is the perfect choice when you are talking about trying to stay connected.