Story On Samui In The Guardian Today

One can always pick Hua Hin to live, like Mr. Taxexile did (Ex-Samuian...) if he/she doesn't like Samui :o

Hua Hin now

Future of Hua Hin?

(image of Benidorm/Spain)

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

once again , lao po , is that the best you can do ?

your postings on other topics are usually so readable and your arguments well put together , but when talking about your home island , you seem to , how can i best put it ? , lose all sense of reason and logic !

this topic is about samui , save your comments about other places for the relevant sections of the forum.

your time would be better spent formulating some defence for samui against the relentless onslaught against the place by those whose feelings for that once beautiful island have changed , but i do understand that there is very little that can be said in its defence.

cant understand why you take it so personally though ?

your postings on other topics are usually so readable and your arguments well put together , but when talking about your home island , you seem to , how can i best put it ? , lose all sense of reason and logic !

this topic is about samui , save your comments about other places for the relevant sections of the forum.

your time would be better spent formulating some defence for samui against the relentless onslaught against the place by those whose feelings for that once beautiful island have changed , but i do understand that there is very little that can be said in its defence.

1. Samui is not my home island. I visited the island many times like many other Thai places. I'm coming to Thailand for 30 years for both business and holidays.

2. I am not the one who's constantly bashing about Samui and other tourist places like Phuket and Pattaya. That's you.

3. I am very, very well realistic about what has been happening to many places in Thailand, not just Samui. I realize and saw that much better than most of the members here. When I visited Phuket and Samui for the first time (a.o. places) I found paradise. It's no longer there, just in my memory. But we will have to live with the many (and yes, also negative) changes.

But I still love Thailand deeply and will do so in the future.

4. If I take it personally?....hmmm...I don't think so, but what annoys me indeed is your negative behaviour -and posts- towards other tourist areas (except Hua Hin, where you live).

Being negative is very easy...to be positive or show positive attitude is something entirely different, Mr. Taxexile !

There's an English phrase (sp?):

" If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem"..meaning:

You constantly point to the negative news/things, happening in Thailand, but you never ever will bring-up something which might lead to some improvement.

Think about that, please!

LaoPo

multiculturalism of the sort where comparatively wealthy people from more developed countries move into a poorer less developed country will always cause problems and conflicts between the two cultures , although problems is probably not the right word.

most thais and falangs get along splendidly and can settle their differences in a civilised and friendly way and usually see each others point of view.

funnily enough , when i am back in blighty , i often suggest "thai "solutions to "problems" i see there.

positive things dont ruffle any reathers and really dont need commenting on , we know what they are and can appreciate and enjoy them (and we often take them for granted.)

1. Samui is not my home island. I visited the island many times like many other Thai places. I'm coming to Thailand for 30 years for both business and holidays.

2. I am not the one who's constantly bashing about Samui and other tourist places like Phuket and Pattaya. That's you.

3. I am very, very well realistic about what has been happening to many places in Thailand, not just Samui. I realize and saw that much better than most of the members here. When I visited Phuket and Samui for the first time (a.o. places) I found paradise. It's no longer there, just in my memory. But we will have to live with the many (and yes, also negative) changes.

But I still love Thailand deeply and will do so in the future.

4. If I take it personally?....hmmm...I don't think so, but what annoys me indeed is your negative behaviour -and posts- towards other tourist areas (except Hua Hin, where you live).

Being negative is very easy...to be positive or show positive attitude is something entirely different, Mr. Taxexile !

There's an English phrase (sp?):

" If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem"..meaning:

You constantly point to the negative news/things, happening in Thailand, but you never ever will bring-up something which might lead to some improvement.

Think about that, please!

LaoPo

I for one want peoples honest opinionated posts.not some mamby pamby b/s to make everybody feel good.

You seem to take taxexiles posts on this matter far too seriously.

I for one, find them interesting.

for one want peoples honest opinionated posts.not some mamby pamby b/s to make everybody feel good.

I hear what you are saying, but what do you mean?

You seem to take taxexiles posts on this matter far too seriously.

In other words they are with no credence , but you base your judgement on them?They are trivial?

I for one, find them interesting.

What interesting?Make your mind up. Interesting but don't take them too seriously?

Edited by Rooo

I knew this article was going to be published as the Authors came for lunch at my old Restaurant about six weeks ago with their baby Son. Thier home in LOS is somewhere in the CM region, although I don't know where

They told me that what they would be writing would not be very complimentary and they were far from impressed with Samui

I don't want to rock any boats..just stating the facts.

TP

PS Personally I have only been to the island once for 3 days.. and I enjoyed it apart from the fact that it rained constantly and I came the closest I have ever been to drowning, if I had not been rescued I think I would not be here writing this now :o Those currents sure are strong.

So in retrospect the fact that I nearly died there means I did not like it that much... but the nightlife was good

PS Personally I have only been to the island once for 3 days.. and I enjoyed it

nightlife was good

Opinions on Samui vary to such extremes that people tend to be surprised it's not quite the dark whore-infested gangland hel_l it's made out to be by some on this forum.

Tastes differ and like anything in life, the best way to judge is first-hand experience.

It's not just Samui where they attempt to surpress bad news stories. It's all over Thailand. Even the english language dailies - The Nation and The Post - who write mainly for a Thai readership mainly fail to report crimes involving foreigners in this idyllic paradise. They are part of the conspiracy IMHO.

Another violent incident that was reported on Samui a few months back.

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader2006/reader2277.htm

It's not just Samui where they attempt to surpress bad news stories. It's all over Thailand. Even the english language dailies - The Nation and The Post - who write mainly for a Thai readership mainly fail to report crimes involving foreigners in this idyllic paradise. They are part of the conspiracy IMHO.

:o Nice girlfriend this guy had....

""In hindsight, I have a sneaking suspicion this whole unfortunate episode developed because my "girlfriend' decided to slink off for a while with a Thai employee at the establishment who she had obviously met before and engage with him in some gratuitous sex - coerced or not I will never know! And yes, we separated about six years ago, and yes she's still a "respectable" government officer in Bangkok, and still 'drop dead gorgeous' to most men! Peter J.""

The story happened 10 years ago and he stayed another few years with her.... :D

LaoPo

And your point is?God love you , that happened 10 years ago.That article only gives one side of the story,where did the girlfriend go , or what did she do or say?Go & do some dredging.What makes Samui so unique to any other place in the world?Is it a crimeless society?

Today you get over 1 million visitors a year + the increased local population of 140,000 +.You would be naive if you think they all live in harmony..I agree there is less then desirable places here , the same as any other country or holiday destination in the world.

Like it has been said on this forum many times,make your own mind up, keep your nose clean & mind your own business & like any smart tourist be aware at all times.

Oh by the way when was the last time you visited here?

:o

I just fail to understand the reasoning behind some of the samui bashers.Do you honestly think Thailand or any of it's holiday destinations are any different then say Australia,England or New York?

Sure some bad things have taken place,but I honestly think when human nature is involved they are bound to happen anywhere.

Bulmercke,

Did you read that story at all, as already pointed out, that happened 10 years ago............what's you point??????

I'm really interested what that drop dead gorgeous government official has to say to all this stuff.

In reply to the original article,Samui Community Newspaper,has got an extensive coverage on the subject in their new edition 15th of May.

It addresses many facets of the report,with a focus on UNBALANCED reporting. It makes very interesting reading as it also gives you some answers to some of the allegations, that the writers of the original article failed to address.

In reply to the original article,Samui Community Newspaper,has got an extensive coverage on the subject in their new edition 15th of May.

It addresses many facets of the report,with a focus on UNBALANCED reporting. It makes very interesting reading as it also gives you some answers to some of the allegations, that the writers of the original article failed to address.

Can you post a link or copy of said article, please?

LaoPo

Can you post a link or copy of said article, please?

LaoPo

LaoPo,

They only have the community magazine articles on line & not the Commnuinity newspaper ones.I will save you the hard copy.