How far ahead can you book a flight?

nong38

Usually I am looking for a flight from the UK in June to return the following May.

Trying to look for flights seems to be very much hit and miss, looking at any of the airlines sites they are happy to book the June flight out of the UK because its imminent but the May return time seems to block the deal. When I try some travel agents in the UK they do seem to be able to come up with flights and prices, often with the airlines who have recently said that no flights are available.

I will arrive back in the UK towards the end of April 2014 so how and when would be the best time to look for the next LHR-BKK-LHR flight? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

That's tough. I'm pretty sure 11 months is all they will do. With that being said, some travel agencies do specialize in tickets with a 1 year validity. You're going to pay more, but at least you have the option.

Most GDSes support 330 days, but some airlines' sites allow 36n days; purchased or via mileage redemption. YMMV.

There may some work-arounds like purchasing the return within 330 days then pushing it out (changing the return date once inside the 330 day window), but this may incur a fee.

I thought the problem might have been that it might not be so easy to predict flight schedules about a year in advance although usually once they have a slot they tend to hang on to it, it might waiver 30 minutes or so, but that should not be problem all they have to do is to advise anyone booked on flight XXXXX there has been an update on the departure time and I might need to re print my return ticket with the new departure time on it, this has happened to me in the past.

Booking flights in the past I had found, until this year, that the best price was 6 days before departure. Now it seems it might have swung to almost as soon as the tickets are available.

Most of the "best" fares have a 60 day APEX (Advanced purchase) requirement, but the low-priced fare buckets sell first/quickly. A lot of the "best" fares have both minimum and maximum stay requirements. But of course this all varies greatly by carrier and city-pair.

Other work-arounds include taking advantage of any schedule change to your advantage. So say you book a return within 330 days but want to return closer to 365 days there may be a subsequent change fee to move the return date out, but if there is even the slightest schedule change (even 5 minutes) you may be able to re-route/re-price to a lower fare/change the date, with any A/C-fee waived. Not all airlines support this feature/benefit/risk/reward.

Edited by lomatopo

I usually book about 10 months out if I know that far in advance. I'm especially glad I did it last year. The closer the date got the higher the price got.I believe Yapta they will let ya know if the price drops. Then I believe ya can renogicate for A lower price.

11 to 12 months has been my experience, but I managed to get a return with changes allowed and pushed it on for a further 6 months on one occasion. Check the ticket terms on your airline-of-choice's website :)

• Like 1

But OP is flying out of UK June 2014 (imminent?), looking to return May 2015....as I read it. That does seem a long way off, not surprised it can't be booked.

Yes - agreed. If it was me I'd explore booking the outbound leg in June 2014, which should be do-able now, and check out the return at the maximum ahead date possible now, but carefully make sure that it is changeable and what the penalties are.

I'd possibly try online to the airlines themselves, or telephone direct, or if your in BKK, go direct to your favourite airline & explain your request, see how that goes, yours would be a special request, you might be supprised what deals you can do direct.

regards songhklasid.biggrin.pngbiggrin.pngbiggrin.png

Normally I would look for flights as soon as the must do items have been completed but that would mean that the outbound flight tickets would have been available for some time and if its cheapest to book as soon as they are available then that option would not be available. Perhaps I will try phoning the airline direct in the UK and see what they can do for me. I could take a chance if I have little do and look for early flights in the new year as I guess the ooutbound flights are going to be available, then its just a question of how helpful they can be.

Yes, less than one year for the return leg. I usually return to the UK in June and stay for just less thnan 90 days. I have tried many ways to book another return flight with the return leg for the following June just after arrival in the UK so I have a definite date for leaving the UK. However I have to wait until August to book with a return for the following June.Some posters mentioned 330 days so this would be about right. I tried to extend my stay in Thailand but the maximum I could get was something under 90 days, definitely not 6 months. This is with first class tickets but I think it is the same with all classes.

Here's an option -- get yourself (somehow) into a position where you are booking a return flight FROM bkk with return after your UK hols of a couple of months - very easily do-able without having to dance with the airlines T&C's so much. It's also arguably cheaper if the rumour machine is correct and tickets starting in UK/EU/USA are more expensive. You can shop around for a cheap-n-nasty one way to get you into the right position for this regime. ;)

• Like 1

Here's an option -- get yourself (somehow) into a position where you are booking a return flight FROM bkk with return after your UK hols of a couple of months - very easily do-able without having to dance with the airlines T&C's so much. It's also arguably cheaper if the rumour machine is correct and tickets starting in UK/EU/USA are more expensive. You can shop around for a cheap-n-nasty one way to get you into the right position for this regime. wink.png

That's exactly what I had to do a few years ago as I was also going home 1 time a year for 2 months. I just ate 1/2 of a ticket one time and moved on from there. You can also get better deals if your trip is not a long one.

Here's an option -- get yourself (somehow) into a position where you are booking a return flight FROM bkk with return after your UK hols of a couple of months - very easily do-able without having to dance with the airlines T&C's so much. It's also arguably cheaper if the rumour machine is correct and tickets starting in UK/EU/USA are more expensive. You can shop around for a cheap-n-nasty one way to get you into the right position for this regime. wink.png

That's exactly what I had to do a few years ago as I was also going home 1 time a year for 2 months. I just ate 1/2 of a ticket one time and moved on from there. You can also get better deals if your trip is not a long one.

Yes - Do some searching for the cheapest return ticket with a return date that doesn't matter 'cos you're not going to use it. Frequently this is a cheaper option than buying a one-way ticket. ;)

Interesting, I had looked at this option but had found that the single ticket was 80% of the return, so I thought I might as well get the return and keep my options open. Also I have found in the past that it has been cheaper LHR-BKK-LHR rather than BKK-LHR-BKK are some saying that that has changed?

It certainly would have some advantages, a shorter flight to flight time and would get rid of my far away return date.

It may be easier if you just state exactly what it is you're trying to do.

My best guess is that ideally you want:

LHR-BKK June 2014

BKK-LHR May 2015

Is that correct?

What is your budget?

Do you have any preferred carriers?

It sounds like you are holding a BKK-LHR ticket for April, 2014?

Can you share any details on this ticket? Was it a similar 11 month stay in Thailand?

The flights you state are correct, I can change the return date free once, this time I am with JET as they were £100 cheaper than Emirates who I would have preferred to fly with, Emirates are a lot better than JET.

My budget is as cheap as I can get for a good carrier, this is year was the most expensive return in the time I have been coming here so there you have it. There are some airlines I would not fly with so next year I expect to be back with Emirates

( 30 kg) luggage is good for me although would look at what others are offering. Does that make a difference?

Any further comments on flights being cheaper BKK-LHR-BKK rather than LHR-BKK-LHR?

Just as a matter of interest I looked at the relative costs of flying from LHR-BKK-LHR and BKK-LHR-BKK, using Emirates own website and used 17th sept/13 to 17thoct/13.

From the Bangkok end I was quoted 44200 bts I used 47 bts to the £ to get a figure of £940

From London I was quoted £568.

I tried Southalltravel.com and they came up with £568 and plenty of others as well starting at £465 with Cathay Pacific.

To book from Bangkok would require a phone call the site does not allow you put anything other than UK airports.

So to me it looks like the best prices are from London rather than Bangkok, I will, in the new year explore the possibilities direct with airlines and Southalltravel.co.uk and see what can be done.

Just as a matter of interest I looked at the relative costs of flying from LHR-BKK-LHR and BKK-LHR-BKK, using Emirates own website and used 17th sept/13 to 17thoct/13.

From the Bangkok end I was quoted 44200 bts I used 47 bts to the £ to get a figure of £940

From London I was quoted £568.

I tried Southalltravel.com and they came up with £568 and plenty of others as well starting at £465 with Cathay Pacific.

To book from Bangkok would require a phone call the site does not allow you put anything other than UK airports.

So to me it looks like the best prices are from London rather than Bangkok, I will, in the new year explore the possibilities direct with airlines and Southalltravel.co.uk and see what can be done.

That is - as has been pointed out in various other threads in TV - an unrealistic comparison. To take an extreme example - a comparison of BKK-LON-BKK 22Dec and back on 2 Jan will be hugely different to the reverse.

Assuming you can find a fare which allows for:

Maximum stay requirements
TRAVEL FROM TURNAROUND MUST COMMENCE NO LATER THAN 12
MONTHS AFTER DEPARTURE FROM FARE ORIGIN.
and one which had a reasonable change fee, or even a free one,
CHANGES
ANY TIME
CHARGE GBP 75.00 FOR REISSUE/REVALIDATION.
then you could purchase, for example, a
LON-BKK June 2, 2014
BKK-LON June 23, 2014
today with EY for 680 GBP, all in.
then on/about May 25, 2014 you could change your return date from June 23, 2014 to May 24, 2015 for a 75 GBP fee. There is some risk to this strategy as it assumes that the same fare bucket will be available for May 24, 2015. It should be.
Emirates EK U1L1YGB1 LON to BKK
General notes
LOW/OFF-PEAK SEASON SPECIAL EXCURSION U
FARES
FOR ROUND TRIP FARES
Seasonal restrictions
PERMITTED 01JAN THROUGH 15JUL OR 11AUG THROUGH 12DEC ON
THE FIRST INTERNATIONAL SECTOR.
London (LGW) to Bangkok (BKK) - Mon, Jun 2
Emirates London (LGW) to Dubai (DXB) - Mon, Jun 2
Emirates 12 Dep: 10:00AM Arr: 7:50PM 6h 50m Boeing 777 Economy (U)
Layover in DXB 3h 10m
Emirates Dubai (DXB) to Bangkok (BKK) - Mon, Jun 2
Emirates 374 Dep: 11:00PM Arr: 8:20AM 6h 20m Boeing 777 Economy (U)
Tue, Jun 3
Bangkok (BKK) to London (LGW) - Mon, Jun 23
Emirates Bangkok (BKK) to Dubai (DXB) - Mon, Jun 23
Emirates 375 Dep: 9:55AM Arr: 1:00PM 6h 5m Boeing 777 Economy (U)
Layover in DXB 2h 0m
Emirates Dubai (DXB) to London (LGW) - Mon, Jun 23
Emirates 9 Dep: 3:00PM Arr: 7:30PM 7h 30m Boeing 777 Economy (U)
Cost per passenger (including taxes & fees) £680.09
Total cost for 1 passenger £680.09
How to buy this ticket
Tickets cannot be purchased directly from ITA Software.
Provide this information to a travel agent to help them match the fares found.
Make sure to provide the exact booking and fare codes shown.
Fare 1: Carrier EK U1L1YGB1 LON to BKK (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code U
Covers LGW-DXB (Economy), DXB-BKK (Economy)
£173.00
Fare 2: Carrier EK U1L1YGB1 BKK to LON (rules)
Passenger type ADT, round trip fare, booking code U
Covers BKK-DXB (Economy), DXB-LGW (Economy)
£173.00
(YQ) £220.00
United Kingdom Air Passengers Duty (GB) £85.00
United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge (UB) £14.29
Thailand Passenger Service Charge (TS) £14.80
Subtotal per passenger £680.09
Number of passengers x1
TOTAL AIRFARE & TAXES £680.09
Changes to this ticket will incur a penalty fee.
Fare construction (can be useful to travel agents)
LON EK X/DXB EK BKK 267.16U1L1YGB1 EK X/DXB EK LON 267.16U1L1YGB1 NUC 534.32 END ROE 0.647533 XT 85.00GB 14.29UB 14.80TS 220.00YQ

Getting bored with deleting triplicate postings now sad.png

It happens to me too!blink.png

From little bit earlier I just dates at random to see which direction was cheapest, it seems to me that its still cheaper to book from London, so I think I will stay with that for now. I will start sounding out travel agents and airlines next March and see what they have to say about bookings a year ahead. I had intially thought the problem was the slots and they might be changed, in the past it has happened that flights have been re scheduled, but I was advised and sent a new e ticket, printed it off and everything was fine, maybe its as simple as .......some people will go the extra mile or some know their way round the systems better than others.

From little bit earlier I just dates at random to see which direction was cheapest, it seems to me that its still cheaper to book from London, so I think I will stay with that for now. I will start sounding out travel agents and airlines next March and see what they have to say about bookings a year ahead. I had intially thought the problem was the slots and they might be changed, in the past it has happened that flights have been re scheduled, but I was advised and sent a new e ticket, printed it off and everything was fine, maybe its as simple as .......some people will go the extra mile or some know their way round the systems better than others.

Note my comment above about comparisons

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/655379-how-far-ahead-can-you-book-a-flight/#entry6643782

I went through the same process some years ago and it turn out that there is no significant difference.

Certainly after you pay the airline they will inform you of changes. It's happened to me a lot over the years without problems.

It is significantly easier to find a "deal" for a one month or similar short stay return. The chances of you getting any special promotion prices for a one year return are slim to skinny ;)

Depending on the visa you have, be aware of some airlines checking for the onward flight within your visa end-date. I had a full-fare Bkk-HK ticket which I bumped for 2 years and then cashed in for full refund. That satisfied Emirates who were being particularly anal about that at the time. I don't use them now so no idea if their check-in staff have actually had any further instruction about Thai immigration requirements and visas.

now to copy this posting before I press "add reply" - just in case it fails - again :(

Note my comment above about comparisons
I went through the same process some years ago and it turn out that there is no significant difference.
Certainly after you pay the airline they will inform you of changes. It's happened to me a lot over the years without problems.
It is significantly easier to find a "deal" for a one month or similar short stay return. The chances of you getting any special promotion prices for a one year return are slim to skinny ;)
Depending on the visa you have, be aware of some airlines checking for the onward flight within your visa end-date. I had a full-fare Bkk-HK ticket which I bumped for 2 years and then cashed in for full refund. That satisfied Emirates who were being particularly anal about that at the time. I don't use them now so no idea if their check-in staff have actually had any further instruction about Thai immigration requirements and visas.
now to copy this posting before I press "add reply" - just in case it fails - again :(
Yay !! I got the "you don't have permission for that" error this time -- just for a change -- try again now.....