Work Permit for China

The retirement age for men in China is 60, and that generally applies to foreigners seeking a 'Z' work visa as well - most Chinese schools, universities etc looking for foreign teachers, for example, stipulate an age limit of 60, because they follow Chinese law. However, there are ways around this on your part by using a company set up, but this is as much as I can tell you myself, so you'll need to consult someone who knows the details of how to go about this. You'd also need the agreement of the Chinese party.

The retirement age for men in China is 60, and that generally applies to foreigners seeking a 'Z' work visa as well - most Chinese schools, universities etc looking for foreign teachers, for example, stipulate an age limit of 60, because they follow Chinese law. However, there are ways around this on your part by using a company set up, but this is as much as I can tell you myself, so you'll need to consult someone who knows the details of how to go about this. You'd also need the agreement of the Chinese party.

asdecas is correct, and generally speaking the system is pretty rigid, I myself had to leave a position at the age of 65, after three years working for the same company. I was lucky to get the job at 62 but I was classified as a foreign expert in the field of Fire Fighting, and my competition was limited. The same cannot be said for teachers and the likes.

There are of course ways around this, and one is to be recruited as a foreign consultant, but again you will be required to take a very comprehensive annual medical and have to jump through many hoops.

At the end of the day you should ask yourself is all the hoop jumping worth it for a limited period of work at your age

If you want more info please PM me giving me more details such as job offer and location etc.

thanks for the info, I will be employed by an american oil company and i will be visiting the fabrication yards where the company has placed orders for some modules i will be representing the company in regard to Quality the company will jump through the hoops just wanted to know if it was possible

thanks for the info, I will be employed by an american oil company and i will be visiting the fabrication yards where the company has placed orders for some modules i will be representing the company in regard to Quality the company will jump through the hoops just wanted to know if it was possible

Is this going to be a full time residence job or basically in and out. Will you be paid in China or out ? will you reside in China ? if the answer is no, then you can apply for a 6 month multi entry business visa allowing you to stay for up to 30 days at a time. If after the 30 days you need to stay longer, a quick turnaround trip to HK is easy-depending of course where you will be in China

Is this going to be a full time residence job or basically in and out. Will you be paid in China or out ? will you reside in China ? if the answer is no, then you can apply for a 6 month multi entry business visa allowing you to stay for up to 30 days at a time. If after the 30 days you need to stay longer, a quick turnaround trip to HK is easy-depending of course where you will be in China

will be visiting the fab yard in china for about a week each vist will be based in malysia only visting china yard each month will not be paid in china just heard that to get visa had to be under 60yrs of age

Hi M & D,

You do not need a work permit so don't worry about that.

What you do need is an 'F' Visa (business visa). No age limit.

This can be easily obtained by your company and if they require you to go in and out of China then it's quite feasible for them to apply for a 12 month multi-entry F visa, this will allow you to come and go as you please. Failing that, a multi-entry 6 month F visa is the norm.

Don't believe what you read on the 'official' Chinese websites as they are normally not up to date, the regulations change very frequently in China.

It's worth mentioning that when you get to China, if you are not staying in an authorised hotel, make sure you obtain a temporary residence permit from the local police station within 24 hrs, this is stated on your entry card. Also, you need to do this every time you enter, even if you are staying at the same place.

Sorry, I forgot to add that even with a multi-entry F visa the duration of each stay is normally 30 days. Depending on where you are situated, a quick trip off the mainland and back in is sufficient to satisfy immigration.

I'll second Madgee's suggestion to get a Business visa and not even attempt to get a work permit. Your chances of getting the visa you want are usually much much better if you apply in your home country. (I've heard Hong Kong is pretty good, but have no personal experience)

You can do visa runs every month or so. In some cities, they have a local office where you can usually (with proper supporting documents from the sponsor company) get a visa extended. They cancel the old visa and give you one that has no "per visit" limit, but has the same expiration date.

That's how I used to stay in China for several months at a time between international trips.

Keep in mind, however, that rules change pretty regularly and the practical application of those rules changes even more often- and sometimes depends on which agent you get when you deal with immigration, and which consulate you get your visa.

Edited by impulse

I'll second Madgee's suggestion to get a Business visa and not even attempt to get a work permit. Your chances of getting the visa you want are usually much much better if you apply in your home country. (I've heard Hong Kong is pretty good, but have no personal experience)

You can do visa runs every month or so. In some cities, they have a local office where you can usually (with proper supporting documents from the sponsor company) get a visa extended. They cancel the old visa and give you one that has no "per visit" limit, but has the same expiration date.

That's how I used to stay in China for several months at a time between international trips.

Keep in mind, however, that rules change pretty regularly and the practical application of those rules changes even more often- and sometimes depends on which agent you get when you deal with immigration, and which consulate you get your visa.

Three of us have now agreed the business F visa is the way to go, however, it is not easy to get a 12 month multi Entry first time around and as stated a six month visa is the norm. To obtain this Visa you must get a letter of invitation FROM A CHINESE COMPANY, this letter must state the reasons why you will be in China and I would suggest that it states that you are "a consultant Inspection Engineer visiting(A) ................ for your employer(cool.png (American Co name and head office address") It should also state that A or B will be fully responsible for your financial requirements as well as hotels and air tickets etc.

As also previously stated, if you are staying in a private residence you must within 24 hours REGISTER with the local Police Station, this is not the same as a Residence Permit more of a way for Big brother to know where you are, and it is not uncommon for the Police to visit that address to ensure you are staying there. The three times this has happened to me I found a nice cold beer eased the situation.

Finally, HK is very easy to get Visas, however unless you have a HK ID Card you will have to use the services of a Visa Agency, and not go direct to the Chinese authorities, this usually takes two days and is a little more expensive, but as the company is paying what the hell. You will even get one or two nights in HK into the bargain

• Like 1