Trial date set for Phuket taxi driver accused of abducting Chinese teen

webfact

Trial date set for Phuket taxi driver accused of abducting Chinese teen
Phuket Gazette

phuketnews_Illegal_Phuket_taxi_driver_Pa
Illegal Phuket taxi driver Paitoon Kruain, 32, faces charges of deprivation of liberty, sexual assault, using a Category 1 narcotic and drunk driving. Photo: Kritsada Mueanhawong

PHUKET: -- The trial of the illegal taxi driver charged with abducting and sexually assaulting a Chinese teen tourist on May 17 will start on September 2.

“The case was transferred to the court on July 4,” said Phuket Public Prosecutor Theerasak Srichulalak.

Paitoon Kruain, 32, faced five charges: deprivation of liberty; sexual assault; using a Category 1 narcotic; consuming alcohol while driving; and operating a regular vehicle as a taxi (story here).

He has paid the 2,000-baht fine for illegally operating a taxi, said Mr Theerasak.

“Mr Paitoon denies the other charges and will make a statement when his trial starts,” he said.

The charges against Mr Paitoon came to light when a 19-year-old Chinese tourist filed a complaint to police alleging that after he picked her up at the airport, Mr Paitoon kept her captive in his car for five hours and repeatedly touched her, hugged her and asked to kiss her.

Her ordeal ended only when the car ran out of gas and she was able to escape and call for help from passersby.

Although Mr Paitoon was initially taken into custody and sent to Phuket Prison, he was released on bail on May 31, a prison officer told the Phuket Gazette.

“I do not know how much the suspect’s bail was. The court would have decided the amount,” the prison officer said.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Trial-date-set-for-Phuket-taxi-driver-accused-of-abducting-Chinese-teen-21750.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-07-25

Illegal taxi driver. 2,000 baht fine. I suspect there are too many illegal taxi drivers who are accountable to no one. When will the police do their job? Do crimes against passengers have to escalate to a point where embassies are warning people to avoid taxis and world wide headlines in the media?

• Like 1

nothing will happen! fine & dont do this again ka!

I don't know, this is pretty high profile and with Phuket needing to make a good impression with the Chinese, if there ever was a time to make an example, this is it.

Honestly I want to agree with you and a few days ago would have, but after a few ridiculous encounters of my own with the local govt now I am not sure. BUT i hope so!